Rings and base, what to do???

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Milehighmagoo
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 - Lightweight Varminter

Rings and base, what to do???

Post by Milehighmagoo »

So Im new to the .204 world. New to the rifle world actually. I've picked out my rifle, I've picked out my scope, but I have no clue about rings and bases. What do I do?

The rifle is the new Savage Model 25 (Lightweight Varminter) and the scope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40

I guess what Im asking, is there any particular rings/bases I should stay away from? Either brand or style? I've heard like most of their products, Leupold is pretty good. How's Bushnell or Millet? Millet sounds on the cheaper side, but I really dont know. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone...
CCW: Bringing guns to knife fights since 1903
------------------------------------------------------
  • HK USP .40
    Springfield V10 Ultra Compact
    Glock 26
    Beretta Extrema2
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Rings and base, what to do???

Post by Hotshot »

I haven't seen a Model 25 in person yet. Many of the Savages come with Weaver style bases and properly installed they provide a very strong and economical base. Assuming the Weaver style bases then you have many options for rings. From Tasco and other cheap alloy stuff, to actual Weaver brand in aluminum or steel(strong as heck but not the most beautiful), to some real good looking steel rings from Burris, Leupold and several other companies, to some incredibly strong tactical type rings. My choice would be Weaver style bases with Burris Signature z-rings in matte finish to match your Bushnell scope and I would go high in height. The signature rings have inserts which will protect the finish on your scope.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Echoing Hotshot here, Burris Sig Zee rings, with Weaver style bases. Economical and bull strong, lightweight, too.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
crashcarruthers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Kevlar

Post by crashcarruthers »

+1 for Burris.
kevinsulikowski

Post by kevinsulikowski »

check out the ded nuts bases
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

I agree with everyone else. Definitely get some Burris Signature Zee Rings and I use Warne Maxima weaver bases b/c I asked the same question you are about a year ago when i was scoping my Savage and that is what everyone recommended!! I love mine they are a rock solid platform for the rings to lock down on. They are what were recommended to me and they are all I will use from now on. Good luck. Lets see some pics when you get it on and done with. -Dan

P.S. if you have any more questions I would love to try to help. I just got into rifles about a year ago and had to ask a lot of questions and these guys have helped me out a TON and now I am addicted to rifles!!!! Don't hesitate to ask any questions b/c I have asked some pretty basic questions that I probably should have already known but these guys are great and help out with any question you will have. Someone has correctly answered every question that I have had!
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223