Hoppes Bore snake

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
TD-Max

Hoppes Bore snake

Post by TD-Max »

I think these are the neatest thing since sliced bread, but has anyone ever evaluated how good a job they do? I was really surprised at how dark black my gun patched after running one through twice. I do plan to do some more testing and to make absolutely certain that I did not mistakenly fire the gun between the two methods of cleaning. Nevertheless it's still a quick and easy solution to portable in the field cleaning. I'm sure it would be tough to incorporate and could get a bit tricky to operate, but if they had a slot (or two) that a guy could slip a patch through towards the tail end...
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
cracker

Re: Hoppes Bore snake

Post by cracker »

I have used them and liked them untill I heard of people breaking them off in their barrel with no way of gettting them out. can you say new barrel?
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

I have one for every caliber I own. I do like them, but nothing replaces a good cleaning every now and then. I don't know about high volume shooting, but you may be able to get a few more shots out before running a rod through it.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

If I ever hear of a serious Bench Rest Shooter pulling one through his barrel I might be intrigued enough to try one..... Na not really.

How do you folks clean them things?
I'm not to keen on the idea of dragging abrasive powder fouling through my bore repeatedly and intentionally.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

The OTIS System from Cabelas is an even better in the field quick cleaning kit IMHO. Having said that I clean my RF's once a year in November or March. I use the BoreSnake between hunts if I use it. I just use it to oil the barrel lightly.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Stuff your dirty bore snake in an old sock and throw it in the washing machine. Comes out nice and clean. Hang it up to dry. I use mine about every 30-40 shots in the gopher patch or prairie dog town, just run it through twice. It will not replace my Dewey rod, but it does delay the full fledged cleaning process and that allows more shooting time in the field.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Post by Pydpiper »

Another vote for the Otis system, it is as compact as the bore snake but as effective as a rod.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

This is how I break in a new barrel. It will shine like chrome when you"re done. After that just a jag and solvent followed up with a good lube. Dave
http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapbore1.htm
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

jo191145 wrote:If I ever hear of a serious Bench Rest Shooter pulling one through his barrel I might be intrigued enough to try one..... Na not really.

How do you folks clean them things?
I'm not to keen on the idea of dragging abrasive powder fouling through my bore repeatedly and intentionally.

How would this be different than pushing the same abrasive powder fouling ahead of a patch thru the same barrel. Or firing a 4000 fps bullet thru the same fouling in an extremely tight fit situation. Just cause BR shooters don't use them doesn't make them bad. I use them all the time shooting pds and for a quick clean in the field they are the cats axx.

As far as 'breaking one off' inside your barrel and having to re-barrel.....myth. If you owned one you'd know they are long enough that some part of it sticks out of one end or the other. The sky is not falling.

Cleaning them is pretty easy, I put mine in a large plastic container with a lid. Add laundry soap and hot water, shake it up let it soak and rinse it. Hang to dry.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator