about barrel life.......

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

about barrel life.......

Post by cshooter »

Hey guys, just got caught up on my forum reading after being gone for awhile and ran accross the one about 204 barrel life. On average, if you don't get the barrel too warm like in a frinzy on a prairie dog hunt, how many rounds can you expect your rifle to shoot before it starts showing signs of barrel wear and accuracy problems ? The reason I asked, is because I had to really finangle my wife to let me get this 204 and don't want to have to do that again for awhile. :lol: I probably have 700 rounds through it so far. :)
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: about barrel life.......

Post by glenn asher »

Relax, NO ONE KNOWS what barrel life will, or won't be, in a particular barrel, as was pointed out in that thread of Scootertrash's. Since you're not using it up quick in a PD patch, it should last quite awhile longer, assuming the steel is good (and we have to assume that, without any evidence to the contrary, right?) Barrels ARE going to get used up, it just happens that way. It's not going to happen overnight, especially the way you're using it.
They are threaded for a reason, after all :mrgreen: and can be replaced easily enough. We have no reason to think that ST's barrel was abused in any way, his posts over the last couple of years seem to point to a very responsible and careful user of his tools, not a serial abuser like me :lol: Factory barrels aren't made to last forever, in any case.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

What brand of rifle?

If it is a Savage....about $150-185...and rebarrel yourself.
cshooter

Post by cshooter »

a 24" Ruger standard barrel. I'm sorry guys. I guess it's a dumb question, but I was just wondering in a round about way, that's all. I've always heard how 22-250 barrel life was short compared to like the 223 and I just thought there was a general idea of thought when comparing to the 204. I did'nt mean to ask or sound like an idiot. :doh: I know alot of things can influence barrel wear, so I guess it was sort of a dumb question. I don't have much experience with the 204 yet. :mrgreen:
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

ALL of us continue to learn.

Keep the barrel as cool as possible.

Some of use are coating bullets with WS2, time will tell.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

cshooter, not a dumb question at all. Just know that some day you'll notice that your accuracy will be gone and it will be time for a new barrel. Start a coin jar now and by the time you need a new one you'll have enough money for a custom barrel! :idea: Gary
cshooter

Post by cshooter »

thanks, Gary. I'll do that. :)