Loctite Removal

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
operationsnsc
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS

Loctite Removal

Post by operationsnsc »

Maintenace Grade loctite (Blue in color); Requires Methylene Chloride or Loctite Product Number 79040 for dissolving. 79040 is sold at Grainger Ind. Supply.
Permanent Grade loctite (Red in color); Requires HEAT>300F.
But I've never had a trigger far enough apart to tell what color the loctite might be BEFORE application of the dissolver. AFTER, it will be white paste. Have not been told that Rem uses Loctite, but this information obtained from Loctite. Besides, any competent gunsmith will claim 2 pounds or maybe even a little less can be obtained on a 700 and costs about $60-$75 to get it done. I'm tired of messing around, so that's the route I went, didn't have to order anything new, and cost was certainly no more than any other avenue. Anything lighter than 1.5 pounds, in my humble opinion, is just dangerous.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Loctite Removal

Post by acloco »

The other way to fly, buy a Rifle Basix trigger. I have a couple on Remington brand rifles...they do the trick.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

operationsnsc wrote:Anything lighter than 1.5 pounds, in my humble opinion, is just dangerous.
In reality any weight trigger can be dangerous, it's all about proper handling of firearms. I've got a bench gun (bolt action) that runs just under 10 ounces, this rifle (as the trigger is set) would NEVER see any field action.

WW
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

WrzWaldo wrote:
operationsnsc wrote:Anything lighter than 1.5 pounds, in my humble opinion, is just dangerous.
In reality any weight trigger can be dangerous, it's all about proper handling of firearms. I've got a bench gun (bolt action) that runs just under 10 ounces, this rifle (as the trigger is set) would NEVER see any field action.

WW

As a general statement your self imposed safety limit of 1.5# is not at all where I draw the line. For a bench gun I like 6-8 ozs. Prarie dog rifle is close to 1#.

Most all Loctite ...be it red, blue or green can be softened with heat. In my shop we have red for "near permanent", blue for "removable" and green for "not taking it apart in this lifetime".
There are excellent online instructions for adjusting a factory Remington trigger down to 2#.

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/arti ... igger.html
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I agree across the board with SKB above. Our shop subscribes to those exact parameters too. But before passing judgement on trigger release weights, you may want to do some research first.

My bench rifles intended for BR Varmint Shooting range in pull weights from 6 - 8 ozs to 12 ozs. Some of these are set triggers such as Canjar, Sako, others are Jewell's, and other aftermarket triggers that will never see field carry.

My walkabout rifles for varmints are all set around 1 lb. to 1.5 lbs. Coyote rifles from 1.5 lbs. to about 2 lbs. My desert (long range) mule deer rifles are all set around 2.5 lbs. My 'usual' deer rifles are set at 3 lbs. My 'black timber' elk rifles are set at 4 lbs. for cold weather hunting with gloves. All release crisp, no creep or overtravel of any kind.

So as you can see, pull weights vary for their intended use. 1.5 lbs. may be your limit for what you consider 'safe field use', but many of us have rifles for many other uses, and because of that fact, pull weights vary considerably according to their actual use.

I applaud your decision to take your M700 trigger to a competent gunsmith, as if you lack experience and skill in this area, matters such as trigger adjustment are best left to experts in their field.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails