Rem 700 new/old bolt with lock

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
TD-Max

Rem 700 new/old bolt with lock

Post by TD-Max »

My new 700 has the J tool lock in it. I think it's a pretty ingenious device, but am told that it's a part of the lack of smoothness in the action. I'm told that there is some sort of a sleeve that helps take up the friction of the spring and keep the spring straight? Anybody here familiar with this?
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
TD-Max

Re: Rem 700 new/old bolt with lock

Post by TD-Max »

Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Prdtrgttr

Post by Prdtrgttr »

Yup! I've ordered one for my LVSF. 8)
visigoth
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by visigoth »

Holland also makes a complete assembly that will drop in (firing pin, shroud, spring, etc). I got rid of the J-lock with this assembly. I chose the Holland because it had the same bead blasted stainless finish that my action does. If you disassemble the bolt, you will see that (at least on my 7mm Rem Mag) the spring is all coiled up and actually rubs against the inside of the bolt. All of the replacements seem to avoid this problem, and I did notice that the action was much smoother.
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

You can buy a replacement bolt shroud singley or with a speed spring/firing pin assembly from Midway.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I am waiting to here from the Remington repair shop right now my bolt got jammed. I thought maybe my kid had played with the bolt lock. I think I messed up the extractor on the bolt. It cuts into all the brass right now.
Ryan S Albright

I wish I had asked every here about there 700 actions my bolt was very tight I thought it would loosen up. It would be nice if Remington would acknowledge there mistake. Now my rifle is tied up at the gun smiths. The price of the shipping would have paid for the new firing pin. :wall: I had asked a local smith about checking it out but he said if it is new just send it back to the Remington repair shop. I had taken the bolt apart wasn't sure how to deal with the shroud end of the bolt. So I just shipped it out. I was hoping that they would e mail me back about the problem. The bolt looks simple enough. If I had it back I would just replace the firing pin with the one from Midway and replace the extractor. Both parts for $54 dollars plus shipping. The thing is I shouldn't have to replace a part like this on a new rifle. If Remington had gone with a cheap cable lock like every one else there would be no problem with the bolt.
wifecallsmegrumpy
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 LVSF semi custom

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

Ryan, I have the problem with the extractor cutting into the rim of my LVSF. After talking with the Gunsmith, it was easy to flick it out and bend it a bit and put it back in. I asked him for a new one and he said it might be the same, and I would still have to bend it.

I was worth a shot and is much improved but not completely fixed. Some more fiddling should get it.
visigoth
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by visigoth »

The new remington rifles don't have this stupid J-lock shroud. I bought a 700 SPS Varmint last year, and it has a "normal" bolt shroud.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

If you really want to bring a Remmy M700 upscale, install the complete Holland speedlock kit (firing pin, spring, shroud assembly) and get a Sako or M16 extractor from Brownells, and have your smith mill the bolt to fit the new extractor. Not that expensive, and you'll have a smoother action, faster lock time, and absolute positive extraction with no worry about breakage.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ryan S Albright

Thanks for the info guys I did call the repair shop and they said that the rifle would be worked on with in the week and Remington would be billed for the shipping and the rifle sent back to me no charge. I just wish I had put the problem before you guys before shipping it out. This is my first Remington and I am not familiar with the bolt although it seems simple enough. The new C spring extractor is very simple but I wonder about its strength and ability to pull out a difficult extraction. The bolt has been tight to lock down even when empty I just figured it would loosen up with use.