Gun Vault-Bomb Shelter

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
TD-Max

Gun Vault-Bomb Shelter

Post by TD-Max »

We are in the process of building our new house. I have a 8'x16' room (nets 82" by 15' inside) in the basement that is all concrete. It has ICF walls, stryo under the floor, and poured ceiling and is under our 4 seasons porch. Ceiling is 6" thick with 1/2" rebar 12" OC. Ceiling height is 7'6" as we dropped the ceiling in so that the trusses could pass over. There is a rough opening for a 3'0" walk door in the 8' wall. I had originally targeted it as a cold storage/root cellar and have the floor heat tube on it's own loop so I can shut it down. I'm thinking that even if I made this my gun/reloading room I could still store my potatoes and onions in here yet as they like a cool dry place. I still need to work out the ventillation. Initially, I figured that I would use a louvered panel in the door, but now I am thinking about a Browning (or similar) vault door.

So for ventillation I have a couple of possibilities. I have considered hammering a 4" hole in the ceiling and tying to the HVAC system along with another for a vent. I could either draw from this room keeping it under a slight negative pressure, or blow into this room putting it positive. I could also dedicate an inline fan to this room and run off a humidistat. Another option (less popular) is to use a dehumidifier and poke a hole through the floor to drain since I did not add any floor drainage. Any suggestions?
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
hozz57

Re: Gun Vault-Bomb Shelter

Post by hozz57 »

Well you could put some ventilation in (cheapest way), and then you put the wife in there and make the rest of the house your reloading room. :idea:
Last edited by hozz57 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

KEEP DIGGING!!!
A 100yd underground shooting tunnel would be just the ticket for those evenings when TV is worthless :chin:
Rainy days. Windy days, snowy days, hot days, cold days, most days, all night :lol:

If you were to actually build one we'd miss you around here. :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I have a 54' or so long "tunnel" under the covered porch. Same thing here, concrete 4 sides with a double 3'0 door at the walkout. She didn't like the pistol range idea...
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Spouses can be so limiting. :lol:
She didn't like the pistol range idea...
If I ever build again, I'll have the same type of area, with a few additional options built in..
AR
Factory/Factory