What a joke!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
eraser3214

What a joke!

Post by eraser3214 »

Tonight I stopped into see what my Savage 12 VLP would be worth if I were to trade it in and boy was I surprised. I thought it would fetch atleast $450 being less than a year old and practically brand new. The kid behind the counter took it to the back to they could appraise it and he comes back out and tells me they would give me $300 for it. So I guess my question is: Is it just me or does this seem way too low? Am I looking for more than I should be or was somebody trying to put it to me? Thanks in advance
Michigan hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 cal. 204

Re: What a joke!

Post by Michigan hunter »

http://www.savagearms.com/12Varminter.htm

if that is your gun and he apraised it for 300$ and it was in good condition (he was trying to get the cheapest price for a nice gun)

just my opinion

MICHIGAN HUNTER
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Looks like 3 listed on GunBroker at $600+

If you're interested in letting it go for $450 drop me a PM.
Michigan hunter

eraser3214
if you are out of midland right? then if you took it to the GUN BARN they were trying to be able to get a gun for cheap that they could end up selling for alot more...where did you take it if you dident take it to there? jw i am pretty familiar with most of the gun places around gennesee county and surrounding.
eraser3214

Post by eraser3214 »

MH, I took it to Jays in Clare, and i'm pretty sure they were trying to get something for nothing. They had them new on the shelf for $740.
Michigan hunter

yea better that then the GUN BARN i cant stand some of the people who work at the gun barn they dont know what they are talking about at all they had me searching all over for some 39 grain seirra blitzkings and i asked of they could get any in and he said yea so i looked at the price and he told me that 100 come in a box for 26.00...i was like BS and he kept telling me that the .204 is a nonpopular gun and that noone sells the shells or the gun anymore......so i walk over to the counter where they have seven .204's in stock (which he told me noone sells them anymore)....so i was pretty mad at a few of the people up there who thought they knew something about guns. i was also interested in a scope for a backup if i wanted to take my leupold off and i asked this young guy and he hands me a 2X7X40 i was like yea c ya later bye...but it was a experience with people that thought they knew some stuff about guns.

Michigan hunter
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

It's been my experience that many gun dealers really don't want to buy used guns, so they throw a low-ball price out there, and take if the seller goes for it. Otherwise, it's just one fewer potential white elephant for them to get stuck with. As we all know, there are lots of folks working in gun stores who wouldn't know the difference between a 17hmr and a 17 remington. Just my .02......
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
doubleA

Post by doubleA »

Gunshops are just like car dealerships, they are only going to offer you about 2/3rds of what it's worth, afterall they are in sales and have to mark things up due to overhead. You are much better off trading/selling to a private individual. just my $.02
Life is good, Give God the Glory.....doubleA
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

About Two years ago I priced a new VLP at the gunshop near me. They quoted me a price of $620.00.
Even though I did not buy another and opted to build a new gun from parts I thought that price was pretty good.
Not sure how much they've gone up since then but I'm sure they did.

Savages are not considered an investment :lol: They're shooters. Very hard to find a used one in the shops near me.
While Savages are not collector items and appreciate in value $300.00 bucks is a real low ball offer.
I agree with everyone else. They either were trying to rip you off or do not have a clue what they're doing or both.

Now the big question. Why on earth would anyone want to sell a Savage VLP. :huh:
Instead of selling the gun buy a barrel wrench.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
iceboxdan
.204 Ruger Guns: savage fv 12 d-tech ar 204

Post by iceboxdan »

i took a 45 to jays in gaylord and they did the same thing. i think they said that they would offer me 75% of what they would ask for it. i ended up selling it for just under twice as much as they offered me.
icebox
the_right_reverend
.204 Ruger Guns: RUGER KM77VT MKII

Post by the_right_reverend »

with dealer offers like that, guess thats why my 25 year old Rem 700 in .223 Rem in VS with a Redfield 12x Metallic Silhouette has never seen a dealers hand....... don't think they would give me Half of todays retail........
It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....Image
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

I was going to trade a Ruger MK II in 220 swift in on a svage in 22-250($450). They were going to give me $285 for mine with scope. I think it is better to sell straight out.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Previous Poster: I find it is usually better to hang on to the scope whenever I sell a gun. You will get more for it by itself or have it to put on your next gun.
LowPro
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS - CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar - Remington R-15

Post by LowPro »

Michigan hunter wrote:...i cant stand some of the people who work at the gun barn they dont know what they are talking about at all

I was at Cabela's a few months ago, browsing the gun counter. There was a guy that was new to hunting, and was asking the clerk his opinion on which rifle he would recommend. The clerk handed him a rifle (couldn't see what it was), and the guy asked the clerk what "WSM" stood for...and the clerk didn't have a clue! He just told the guy, "Winchester something..."

I started to intervene, but recalling the old saying "You can't fix stupid", I just minded my own business. I felt bad for the customer, but I didn't have any experience with the type of hunt he was going on, so I couldn't have steered him in the right direction anyways.

That's what I love about these forums...everyone's more than willing to help out someone with a question. I do my homework on forums, before shopping for anything I'm unfamiliar with.
Michigan hunter

nut hey if a clerk or someone was ripping someone of who was new to shooting,hunting ect. i would stop and say something to that person or direct them to someone who could acctually help them unlike the guy at cabelas ..lol...it is always good to help someone out if they dont have a clue or just dont know where to go to speak to the right person..and i also agree about this forum being very helpfull. everyone is willing to share ideas and advice...alot of ppl on here helped me to figure out what i needed for coyote hunting and i trust them...even tho i am only 15 it helps to have some body to ask if you dont know what you are doing or what to get.