HSM ammo?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
dirtdog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 UL

HSM ammo?

Post by dirtdog »

First of all, I would like to say hello to all, since this is my first post. But my question is about the 40gr berger ammunition loaded by HSM. I do not reload, and have been using 40gr vmaxs, but would like to try the bergers since ive heard good things about them on coyotes. The only place i can find them is in cabelas in 200 round lots and dont want to buy that many without some confidence that they will work well. So has anyone tried these loads? Any performance reports on coyotes? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: HSM ammo?

Post by OldTurtle »

I bought a couple hundred rounds through Cabela's a couple of years ago. I can't give an evaluation on Coyotes, but I found them to be a little less accurate than the Hornady 40gr and Remington 40gr., but they do the job on Prairie Dogs when you connect.
AR
Factory/Factory
serpent71
.204 Ruger Guns: xr-100

Post by serpent71 »

i agree i got them from cabellas and the 40 gr hornadys shot better the hsm
dirtdog

Post by dirtdog »

Thanks guys, I'm not super concerned about shooting bug hole groups or anything like that. I'm more concerned about hunting accuracy and consistent performance on the coyotes. What kind of accuracy drop-off did you see between the Hornady's and the Bergers? As long as they shoot consistent 1"-1.25" groupings at 100 yards, that will be good enough, as most my shots will be less than 200 yards.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

If all you are concerned about is 1+" at 100, they will do fine...

Most of my shooting is at Prairie Dogs at 200+ yds, where the 1" will multiply to 2" @ 200, etc... and since the actual kill zone on a PD is pretty narrow... there's not much room for error @ 300yds, and I strive for a 'clean kill' as opposed to 'crawl offs'..
AR
Factory/Factory
dirtdog

Post by dirtdog »

oldturtle, thanks for the info! I agree, not much room for error at 300 yrds on a prairie dog. However, we don't have any of those little rascals in my neck of the woods, so i'm only concerned with shooting some coyotes. Thanks for the help!
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

The Hunting Shack (HSM) will sell them to you directly. You can get the number from their website: thehuntingshack.com. I have gotten very good and fast service from them.

I have had very good results with their ammo, and their prices are very reasonable. Their website lists the bullet weights, velocity, and retail prices under "retail ammo list".
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I can't add much here except that I agree with all that has been said. I didn't get great groups with them, 1"-2" but for the price and for coyotes they would be fine out to any reasonable range.
Also if you were to search 40 Berger with coyotes you will find lots of posts of people that have shot yotes with good success.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
dirtdog

Post by dirtdog »

Thanks for the info everybody!