Shooting Rest--Which One?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
VarMitt
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100

Shooting Rest--Which One?

Post by VarMitt »

Santa didn't bring me one! So I must take matters in my own hands. I want to buy a rifle shooting rest for sighting in and maybe use for bench squirrel shooting. So I see that Midway has a sale on Caldwell's Lead Sled DFT $180 or the Orginal one for $100. They are also offering the Rock BR for $140 or the BR1000 fro $140. I would appreciate any experience and suggestions that my fellow shooters might have reguarding the Caldwell's or any other type of shooting rest.

Keep Your Powder Dry--Doug
PS That was a great line by the guy who said " I wish Hillary had married OJ"
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Shooting Rest--Which One?

Post by Hotshot »

I asked a similar question to all our friends out there a couple months ago. No big negatives on the Caldwell BR, but it did not get glowing reports either. It was suggested by some of the members I respect highly that I spend a few more bucks for a Sinclair rest. A couple guys would sell me their Caldwells so they could get a Sinclair. I decided to save up a few more dollars and invest in the Sinclair. I think the lead sled is probably good for sighting in high recoil rifles, but I can't imagine using on the bench for prairie dogs. I admit I've never used one so maybe we'll get a report from somebody who has. It is really hard to beat the Harris bi-pods for everything but the finest of bench rest shooting.