Probably a dumb question...But it is for a good cause!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Probably a dumb question...But it is for a good cause!

Post by dannybracy »

This might be a good question or a really really dumb one.....

I got to thinking, what would it take (gunsmith-wise or tools to do it myself) to get a:

-Savage Target action($475 shipped)
-a Kreiger or Shilen barrel($250-$350shipped)
-a boyds or stockade stock($150-200 shipped)

and match them together for a semi-custom shooter!? Is there anything major i am overlooking?

I can order a barrel specifically for the Savage action, correct? And all it would take is a barrel-nut wrench to tighten the Shilen/Krieger barrel down to the action, or does a gunsmith have to machine the barrel and custom fit the barrel to the savage action?

Next question----are Boyds stocks sturdy or do you need to bed them to stiffen them up? I wouldn't mind getting an unfinished stockade stock either and finishing it myself. I am an avid do it yourselfer...but as you can tell, i am just getting into these target rifles and need a little info...

Thanks again guys, hope my questions aren't too annoying! Haha. -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Probably a dumb question...But it is for a good cause!

Post by WrzWaldo »

dannybracy wrote:This might be a good question or a really really dumb one.....

I got to thinking, what would it take (gunsmith-wise or tools to do it myself) to get a:

-Savage Target action($475 shipped)
-a Kreiger or Shilen barrel($250-$350shipped)
-a boyds or stockade stock($150-200 shipped)

and match them together for a semi-custom shooter!? Is there anything major i am overlooking?

I can order a barrel specifically for the Savage action, correct? And all it would take is a barrel-nut wrench to tighten the Shilen/Krieger barrel down to the action, or does a gunsmith have to machine the barrel and custom fit the barrel to the savage action?
You will also need headspace gauges (go/no go). Sometimes you can get by with a FL sized case and some cellophane tape. Here is a good read on headspace ---> http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/he ... /index.asp You can get the gauges at Brownells ---> http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ ... spx?p=7743

Next question----are Boyds stocks sturdy or do you need to bed them to stiffen them up? I wouldn't mind getting an unfinished stockade stock either and finishing it myself. I am an avid do it yourselfer...but as you can tell, i am just getting into these target rifles and need a little info...

Thanks again guys, hope my questions aren't too annoying! Haha. -Dan
I don't think I have ever fiddled with any boyds stocks.
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

midway usa the bbl nut wrench on sale for about 20$ and forester go and no go guages on sale also
on the boyds stock i put pillars on mine because the action screws would pull into stock if you got them very tight
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

If I were you I would let a gunsmith chamber and assemble the barrel and action. This is not a job for someone who hasn't had years of experience. Everything depends on crucial alignment with the centerline axis of the bore.

When I had my rifle built I went with a master gunsmith that knew how to keep all tolerances to within .0005" accuracy. He even blueprinted my action, which should not have needed it. Even if I owned the equipment to do it myself, I couldn't have gotten anywhere close to the work a master can accomplish. You'll thank yourself in the end.

I would have the stock pillar bedded. Regardless of make, the inletting is rough when you get the stock. You will need to bed the action, regardless of make or manufacturer. You might be able to do this job yourself, if you have experience, to save a little money.

My most humble opinion is to spend a little extra to get it right. I'll never forget the day I picked up my rifle. When I opened the bolt, it was like opening a vault. Everything fit so perfect it was like every moving part was mounted on roller bearings. Even with the bolt fully opened there was no play in the bolt. It slid back and forth in the action like glass and locked up like butter. Even more exciting was loading up my first set of Norma brass and being able to load into the lands with plenty of bullet left in the case. This opened up a whole new world for me. I had my reamer cut with no freebore so I will be able to reach the lands as throat erosion sets in later on.

I can't say enough about my Jewell trigger. If you have never tried on, you will be amazed. The only problem is going back to a rifle that doesn't have one and realizing how much effort is necessary to make the hammer fall.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Danny - your prices are just a touch high.

right bolt/left port target action - $400 + shipping - yes, you can find them for that

Northland Shooting Supply has takeoff barrels in the 150-250 range...or the aftermarket are in the 300-450 range

Stock - or a Choate for $148 + shipping.

Skipper - I don't agree...IF you are dealing with a Savage rifle. Something that needs work done on the chamber or fitting of the barrel - YES...take it to a gunsmith.

....and after typing that...I DO agree. I would not want anybody getting hurt who does not have the inclination, ability, or a little bit of money to buy the RIGHT tools for the job.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

DB,

I think you would get a lot of satisfaction building your rifle as you described. Several companies can provide a barrel that is threaded and chambered ready to install. Pacnor, Sharpshooter Supply, Adams and Bennet(Midway USA), Shilen and others are among the possible choices as well the take-offs mentioned by acloco. I have switched barrels on my Savages with no trouble. Sounds like a great project and you won't have to wait several months for a gunsmith to do the work and present you with a big bill. Look at the Bell and Carlson Medalist when you consider the stock, also Hogue has a good looking field type stock for heavy barrels.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

My Savage .204 is an old .223 I rebarrelled with a factory take-off barrel from Northlander, and I'm more than satisfied with it. My current .223 has also been rebarrelled with one of the Northlander tubes.
A friend of mine, who lives about an hour away, has all the tools and loves to tinker with them. It's nice, though maybe not necessary, to have a barrel vise, to go along with the wrench and gauges. Steve's shop is cleaner and nicer than a lot of kitchens I've seen :lol: , mine included, and he's more organized than anyone I've ever seen. All his stuff is right where it needs to be, when it needs to be there. With the gauges in hand, it takes about 1/2 an hour to swap out barrels, with time off to drink some coffee and watch Varmint Safari 3 in between jabbering. We have a lot of fun while we're goofing off in his shop.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

I seem pretty comfortable putting the barrel on getting the headspace right and getting it tightened down. I would like to put this in a nice looking stock and I don't mind the thumbhole stocks that come on some savages already. I think they might be Boyds stocks?? Anybody shoot a thumbhole savage? and how sturdy are the stocks? Do they need bedded or come w/ pillars or anything already? I am thinking i will order the Shilen Barrel now and get the action sent my way before the new '08 prices come around. Then decide on the stock before shooting season comes around next spring. Thanks alot guys!!! -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have one of them Savage's with the thumbhole Boyd's. And YES, It has the same pillars my VLP had. The stock came with the gun, So yours may differ.
Don't forget the target action has 3 mounting screws and a large shank.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

I forgot about that! I am still thinking I will get the barrel ordered along w/ the action. Does anyone know of a good thumbhole stock that would would w/ the 3 action screws that target action has? Thanks
***Danny Bracy***

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Ya know.After measuring up the actions. It looks like you could easily make it fit. Just need to add the center action screw. Maybe open up the barrel channel pending on your choice of barrels. Sorry I can't take the stocks off. Don't want to change POI. Soon deer season will be over and I can get after them yotes again. I shot 3 rounds at 200 yards out of a friends 22-250 with a Shilen barrel and HS Precision Tactical stock. He said he wanted to clock them. I think he wanted me to drool :lol: The top far right 3 shots are them!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Does anybody know if that target action has the large threads or the small threads? I think the new F class rifle has the large threads if I remember right.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Hotshot
The LRPV, F class, magnums and new target actions are large shank.

Danny
Switching barrels and boltheads on a Savage is a piece of cake. (After you've done one) I have four actions and nine barrels.
Sharp Shooter Supply has some nice stocks including a thumbhole BR style stock. They can make thier stocks to fit the three screw actions like yours. Most other non custom companys have been a little slow in producing bolt on stocks for the new action.

If you really want to turn heads in the dog fields or range check out lprgunsmith. He makes switch barrels that will screw right off with no need to remove the stock. I would quess you could switch them out in under two minutes.
Unlike normal Savage barrels these would be action specific and need to be turned from a custom blanks.
He does great work at a reasonable price in a timely fashion.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

The large shank target action nut recess is 1.130 and the standard is 1.070 I think they're 20 threads per inch.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

First of all, thank you all for all your info! Thanks Hawkeye for all your measurements and thank you Jo1911 for hooking me up w/ the Sharp Shooter Supply link! They have some really nice stuff that seems to be just the stuff i was looking for! Pretty reasonably priced also! I was wondering if anyone has ordered stocks from them or what kind of timeline you can expect from them. They seem pretty swamped, but if i order everything now from the different places, hopefully i will have it all together and going by next march or so w/ some time to work up a few loads and get some rounds loaded up. One more thing, do these prices seem reasonable?
Savage target action - $425 shipped to my FFL
Shilen Select Match stainless barrel - $268

My FFL dealer can get a target action for $425 plus shipping plus sales tax(so around $465)......and gunbroker.com the target actions seem to be going for around $450.

Thanks for all the help in all of this. Kinda stressful, but extremely fun. I have never built a gun before and I REALLY REALLy appreciate all the help!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again -Dan
***Danny Bracy***