barrel and stock for ruger m77 mkII

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
adam gibbs

barrel and stock for ruger m77 mkII

Post by adam gibbs »

i have a ruger, in 204 and am not getting the accuracy out of it like others are talking about. i like the ruger action, so i would like to keep that, but if i were to put a new barrel, like a heavy barrel, and a better stock, would i get better accuracy. if so, what barrel and stock should i go with? BTW im getting about 1 inch groups at 100 yards, but im thinking the gun should do better than this. thanks
adam
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: barrel and stock for ruger m77 mkII

Post by Vartarg »

Is this a sporter or heavy barrel? About how many rounds down the pipe thus far? Shooting factory ammo or handloads? If handload, what powder/bullet combinations have you tried? Your scope? Just a few questions....not trying to be nosy, just need more info to help. I love my Ruger 77 Target, by the way, and I'm not sure getting rid of the barrel and stock are going to solve anything. George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

adam,

Might be most efficient to trade to the target model. You'd have the action you like with a great laminated stock and a heavey barrel more likely to shoot better groups. Just a thought.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

I have a thin barrel on my Ruger 77 MKII, 24" sporter. Had alot of trouble with it at first, but it's doing alot better now. I added a Timney trigger, that helped. Free floated the barrel, but that did'nt help. So I tried a little piece of thin cardboard between the barrel and the end of the stock about a 3/4"x 1" square to put a little forward pressure on that thin barrel. That helped. Then I tried several different handloads, and I now get 1 to 2" groups @ 200yrds, if I do my part. I still need to bed the stock sometime to stiffen it up so if I cause any flex presure on the stock when I shoot it won't draw the bullet off. But it seems to hit where I want it to. The loads my gun likes are the 39 gr BK & 25 gr of RE-10x and the 35 gr Berger HP & 25.5 gr of RE-10x. Both hit about the same place. Hope this helps you. C.S.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

adam, I have a factory laminate stock off of a ruger VT .204. It has been kryloned in tan, with black webbing spray. If your interested in trading or buying, let me know. Don