ER Shaw Barrels

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Odawgpw/204
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore w/ 26" stainless BB & SII 3.5x10x42

ER Shaw Barrels

Post by Odawgpw/204 »

Has anyone had any good/bad results using this particular brand

I am thinking about buying a AR upper in 204 and can find one using an ER shaw barrel for $435. Or I can buy one with a Pac Nor Match grade barrel for $755.
Encore w/ 26" SS BB Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5x20x50AO
Bayou City Boy

Re: ER Shaw Barrels

Post by Bayou City Boy »

ER Shaw makes a good quality barrel that is better quality than typical factory barrels. I have used a couple of their barrels on larger bore (.257 and .284) hunting rifles and they give good accuracy. I have never used a small bore Shaw Barrel.

The difference in cost between the two uppers you mentioned pretty well illustrates the quality difference - as I see it anyway - between a Shaw barrel and a PacNor barrel. You're paying for excellent quality with PacNor, whether its their standard grade barrel or their Ultra-match grade barrel, as they are both excellent custom barrels.

JMO - BCB
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

probably better off with the shaw than stock.
I have a shaw in 17hm2. it shoots ok not great but it's a sporter and
its a 10/22 conversion .would prorbably be better in a bolt gun.
Looks like it's a money decision for you. If you have the bucks go with the pac-nor
If not go with the shaw i mean it's an AR ..You can't expect turnbolt accuracy out
of a sem-auto.(now remember guys ..Don't feed the trolls)LOL
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Varmonter wrote:.......i mean it's an AR ..You can't expect turnbolt accuracy out
I'm not wanting to start a feud, but.....I own some very accurate bolt action custom rifles.

I also own two AR-15's with free float tubes and good quality barrels that will shoot with any factory bolt action rifle you might want to toss up against either of them. And they will also hold their own against many custom bolt action rifles costing a lot more $$$$'s.

Don't underestimate the accuracy that can be built into an AR-15 with good parts.... Especially if you've never owned one specifically set up for accuracy....

-BCB
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Dollar for dollar you can get more accuracy for your money from an AR than from a bolt action.
I don't want to throw gas on a fire here, but most people who comment about accuracy of AR's, never had one that was built for accuracy(probably never had one at all). My $.02 worth
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I've shot a Rock River Varminter that is scary accurate, 1/2" groups without trying real hard, and with some worn-out Federal brass, to boot. I'd be proud to shoot that rifle at anything short of a benchrest match.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Varmonter wrote:..You can't expect turnbolt accuracy out
You had to know that this one would start a fight.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.