DPMS .204 Ruger Barrel

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
richnmib

DPMS .204 Ruger Barrel

Post by richnmib »

I have been waiting a while for this barrel and Brownells finally has them in stock so I just ordered the above barrel to convert one of my Ar's to .204 Ruger. I am looking forward to having my 3rd caliber in the AR platform and my 2nd rifle in .204 Ruger. Does anyone else shoot an AR in .204?
If this is heaven...How bad is heck??
sick1

Post by sick1 »

I have a slightly modified DPMS Lr204 and love it. Still working loads up for it, but so far it shoots everything well.
NRA Life Member
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

I got a Dpms .204 and it loves 26 gr. Benchmark behind a 35 berg. It'll shoot .5 inch groups with a really cruddy trigger. It doesn't seem to like much else, but I just got a Timney, so hopefully that will improve some things. Good luck.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Hey!

There is a "Black Rifle" class in the upcoming 204 Ruger dot Com Postal Shoot.
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Ya buddy! NOW there are getting to be several AR shooters around here. Welcome aboard. Mine really likes 39BKs with H4895 ans CCI 450s. I got a question for you though richnmib or anyone else with the DPMS. Did you find in working up your loads that they are not accurate at all until you get up close to MAX? I have with all powder/bullet combos. Just wondering if Benchmark was different. I would like to have a light load that is accurate, but I don't know why. 8)
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

I now have 2 AR's in the .204 cal. One has the normal 1/12 twist and the other has 1/9 twist. They both shoot great. The 1/9 likes the 50 gr. Bergers because of the fast twist and the other likes the 39's. I know you will like the AR in .204.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

There was a discussion about crimping, not too long ago. Some seemed to think that you needed to crimp AR ammo and others seemed to think it wasn't necessary. What's your take? Pros or Cons either way?

If you have tried both ways, does crimping reduce accuracy in your rifle???

I just had to ask. :wink:
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Rugerdogdog: Mine seems to like it in the middle of the powder charge range.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
richnmib

Post by richnmib »

I have been an AR fan for years and when I learned how easy they are to build, I became a bigger fan. Rugerdogdog I just ordered the barrel so I don't have it yet. I hope to get it by the end of the week. Then I can start working on some loads for it. skipper I personally don't think it matters, but, I have not crimped any of my reloads for any of my AR's, .223 or 6.8mm, and they all shoot fine. But then again I am no G David Tubbs either.
If this is heaven...How bad is heck??
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

skipper wrote:There was a discussion about crimping, not too long ago. Some seemed to think that you needed to crimp AR ammo and others seemed to think it wasn't necessary. What's your take? Pros or Cons either way?

If you have tried both ways, does crimping reduce accuracy in your rifle???

I just had to ask. :wink:
I do not own an AR but at the last egg shoot I was watching a guy use a new AR-10? 308 Win with handloads. It seems he was having feeding problems and accuracy problems. He said when he developed these loads they were real tackdrivers.
One round that jammed and he ejected rolled off the bench. I picked it up for him and noticed the scratch marks on the bullet from the case mouth. It seems the force of the bolt chambering them was driving the bullet forward in the case. Or the recoil was pulling them in the mag.

If I did own an AR or other semi I would go to great lengths not to crimp.

Crimping can both reduce and improve accuracy. Its very easy for a crimp to reduce accuracy. Its much harder to make it improve accuracy. Not to mention the fact it mucks up your brass real quick.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .