Tested out the CZ 527 204, need some help, though

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Billinsd

Tested out the CZ 527 204, need some help, though

Post by Billinsd »

I finally got out and shot my new CZ 527 Varmint 204. It seemed like I had the scope, a Leupold Vari III 4.5x14 by 50mm as far forward as possible. See my photo. However, it still seemed like I had to hold my head back on the stock in order to see through the scope. It seems like this particular scope's eye relief is kinda funny for me. It is supposed to have an eye relief of 3.6 to 4.4 inches.

I mentioned I have my scope as far forward as possible on the gun, however I need to pull my head back on the stock to get the correct eye relief on the scope. If I could move the scope forward about an inch or so it would be perfect, however I am out of room. It also seems like there is not much "play" in the eye relief. Either I am right on or off. I mean either I can see the whole field of view in the scope, but if I move my eye forward or reverse just a hair I loose the view?

I do not have this problem on my 30-06 with the Leupold 3.5x10x40mm scope.

Otherwise, Man I am glad I bought a TON of different ammo!!!! Some shot like shotgun slugs, haha.

Towards the end of the morning I found a really good group in Federal 39grain Blitzkind ammo, see photo and Winchester 32 grain balistic silvertip. This is good enough for me on the bench at 100 yards.

What do you guys think?

Oh, by the way....Glenn thank you so much for your advice as well as others. I do like this gun. One odd thing is the safety is back, the opposite of a remington, just takes getting used to.

Oh, and forgive me, but how do I post photos here again?

Thanks
Bill
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

You have to go to photobucket, or where ever, and click on the IMG code and it should say copied. Then go to here and right click, select paste, and it should work. Hope this helps.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Here's how to post pics
http://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29

As to scope issues, that's a tough one. Eye relief is pretty individual, some folks like 'em one way, others can't handle it. My buddy sets his rifles up so they are unuseable to me, and vice versa. I would contact Leupold about it, despite their best efforts, sometimes an "off" example slips thru the cracks.
Ammo wise, those danged 39 Sierras seem to be the bullet, period. It's a rare rifle that doesn't like them. Early reports on those 32 Ballistic Tips seem to echo that, they are mighty nice in my old beater Savage.
After a time tinkering with your safety, it'll come naturally to you. I usually don't use it, keeping the chamber empty until I shoot, but I still check it out of habit. Don't worry, YOU'll come around to it :D .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Lots of folks don't like the eye relief of the 4.5-14...

The 3.5-10 is golden. I suggest switching over to that and you'll be happy...
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

I couldn't deal with the sight picture/eye relief of the Leupy 4.5-14 either. Was able to sell it and got a Nikon Monarch instead. :wink:
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Billinsd

Post by Billinsd »

Thanks guys. Seems like I had two problems, the eye relief inherent with my 4.5x14 scope and not being able to mount the scope far enough forward.

However, I think pushing the scope as far forward as possible will be ok. I'll try another scope.

The internet is so great.
Thanks
Bill
Billinsd

Post by Billinsd »

Oh, by the way. Ahab, what Nikon did you buy? I mean model?

Thanks
Bill
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

You might not actually have an eye relief problem, but a stock that does not fit you.

The drop and the length is what the problem is.

Start by adding spacers under the buttplate....but, you need to have a stock that lets you sink the comb into your cheek, just under your cheekbone.

If you run into the problem when sinking your cheek in, but have to lift your head to see the scope, then the scope is mounted too high as well.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Limbsaver makes recoil pads that fit over the end of your butt plate. That might get your scope out where you need it to be. You can also buy pads that will raise your head up so you can get a good stock weld with a scope that is mounted too high.

From the bench, I don't worry about stock weld too much. I have a 56mm Nightforce on my rifle and I have to lift my head to sight through the scope. I shoot free recoil anyhow so I don't want my head or shoulder to touch the stock. I remember being taught to use a stock weld in the Marines but, we were shooting iron sights then.

For hunting, a rifle or shotgun that is quick to the shoulder is always a plus for fast target aquisition. This is when a good, quick stock weld is the key to success. Especially when the ducks are coming in fast.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Billinsd

Post by Billinsd »

Thanks guys, I did not really check about the fit. It seemed like it fit, or like it fits. I'll check it out.

I see about adding the spacers to the butt plate.

What is compounding things is that forgeting about cheek weld and all is if I just took the scope off and looked through it, there is only one exact spot that I can see through it well. If I pull my eye back I cannot see through it, if I push my eye a bit forward I cannot see through it.

Thanks
Bill
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Play with the ocular focus. It may be in/out way too far for you. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Billinsd

Post by Billinsd »

Glenn, thanks. Is that, that dial thingy on the end of the scope, kinda like a focus knob? I did play with it, maybe that is the problem. I turned it in as far as it could go, maybe that is the problem?
Bill
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Yep!! If it helps clear things up fpor you,, you just use the lock ring in front of it to hold it in place. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill: ANY high power variable scope will do that when held OFF the rifle! You need to mount it to really tell about eye relief.

By the way, the proper way to focus your scope, is to turn it to low power ON THE RIFLE, look up into a clear blue sky, and focus it so the reticle is crisp and clear against the sky by twisting the ocular bell after losening the lock ring. It is a very fine thread, so many turns may be needed to get the reticle perfectly focused and crisp.

Then at various ranges, you'll need to focus with the parallax adjustment, and all should be clear and crisp at every range.

You can never tell about eye relief by hand-holding a scope, it must be mounted on the rifle, then slid back and forth on low power to get it right. You'll have to move your head forward a tad on the highest power, but you'll never shoot on the highest power offhand anyway, it'll be either prone or off the bench, so it really does not matter on a light recoiling varmint rifle any way. Let us know how it shakes out.....k? :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd »

Rick, thanks a bunch for the info!!! I appreciate it.

I did mount the scope and looked through it to figure out eye relief. Sorry if I did not communicate that well in my post.

The real problem is I cannot get the scope far enough forward on the rifle. I bought a weaver rail adapter that I mentioned above or in another post, so I can move the scope forward about 1/2 inch. That should solve the problem.

Funny thing, on my Winchester model 70 30-06 I have exactly the opposite problem. I would like to get the scope back just a tad and it is back as far as it can go. LOL!!! But with the 30-06 I will push my face forward a tad to absorb the recoil. So, it is not a problem.

Thanks all, I appreciate the help. I do like the gun, I just need to do some tweaking. It seems the perfect weight and all for me. That 527 American would have been a bit too small and the barrel a bit too light. This is the perfect "Carry" varmint style rifle. I will be either shooting it off hand or off a bipod or my knees.

Thanks
Bill