Dpms .204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Dpms .204

Post by Verminator2 »

I got a new .204 ruger AR-15 from Dan Carey at http://www.careycustomrifleco.com . The specs are:
Essential matched receivers with RRA lower parts kit, standard trigger,
DPMS 204 Ruger fluted barrel,
DPMS hand guard,
RRA buttstock.

I shot a couple groups on Monday in some breezy wind and mirage. I have never really shot a real group with an AR, but my first 5 shot group measured a sweet .597 with 4 in .448! I haven't been able to repeat it though. It doesn't seem to like any other bullets besides the 35 gr. Berger. Hopefully I'll find another load. I'll let you know how it goes.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Nice looking AR! What scope do you have mounted on it?
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Thanks! :D It is an old 6-18 Redfield. I would have mounted my Leupy 6-18 with turrets but it doesn't hold zero :cry:
BMP

Post by BMP »

Sweet rifle. What other ammunition have you tried? Groups from them?

I'm going to build a .204 this winter to do some PD shooting next year. Again, nice rifle! :D

Brad
BMP

Post by BMP »

Sorry, is it a 24" barrel?

Brad
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

I believe it is a 24 inch barrel. I used some 35 gr. Bergers with some benchmark. Also, tried 39bks and 32 vmaxs but no luck. Same powder. Going to get a new Timney 3# trigger, hopefully that will help. The trigger is really bad on it. After that I'll get another clip. Then another grip. Then.... :lol:
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

I put a RRA 2 stage that had been tuned by Dtech in mine and it helped a lot. Is yours a 1/12 twist barrel?

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Yeah, it is a 1-12 twist barrel.
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Yours is very similar to mine. Mine is all DPMS though.
Those groups measure .518" and .462" respectively,if you dont count the flyers. As I've said over and over, I think my groups will shrink alot when I replace that STINKY trigger!
You say "no luck" with the BKs and Vmaxs, how bad are they? So far mine has been pretty acceptable with all but the 40 grainers.
My biggest problem is that I havent spent enough time on load development. I found those loads in the pics and now I just cant stop killing stuff with it. I think there is a lot more accuracy to be had if I would just spend some time shooting paper instead of fur.
One thing I have found in load development is that good groups dont show up until you are well above half way up the load ladder, my groups are HUGE with light loads. I would be very interested to hear if you find the same thing. KEEP US POSTED!
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

No luck= 32 grainers giving me about an 1 1/4-1 3/4 and the 39 about 1-2 inches, no real load testing with them though. I did have one pretty good 3 shot group with the v-maxes that I need to try again. Do you have higher velocities than listed in the books? My 35 bergs. are in front of 26gr. of benchmark and I'm getting 4000 fps :eek: I'm getting my trigger replaced soon too.
now I just cant stop killing stuff with it.
Same here :assault: :kitty: :twisted:
Looks like I need to try some H4895, all I got is Imr 4895. Hopefully I can get out again soon.
Rugerdogdog

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Are Hogdon and IMR 4895 different much? I have seen them spoken of around here ALMOST interchangably (is that a word?!?!?!) That is a SMOKIN 35 grainer.
I dont have a chrony so I dont have actual velocity #s but I have not gone over published maxes.
I do have some Berger 30s that I can't wait to try. I think they would deserve a chronograph!!!
P.S. Is your barrel still new? Mine did not settle in until 200 rounds, yadayadayada, or it did not like factory loads at all.

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

My barrel is still relatively new, about 150 rounds or so. I didn't have a chrony at the time that I did my load testing :oops: but I wonder how fast those were going at max :!: I don't think there were any major pressure signs :?
Rugerdogdog

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I've not seen any pressure signs other than the slightest of primer flattening, I mean SLIGHT, even right at max. I would love to have a chronograph so I could try the, additional powder vs. additional velocity method. From looking at my brass I get the feeling I could go a good bit over published max safely, like several others around here are doing. After seeing the terminal effects of a moderate to heavy load on a pdog I would love to see them a few tenths over.
This one was preparing breakfast!!! HAHAHA