Another new .204! Need advice from the masses...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Another new .204! Need advice from the masses...

Post by Gmoney »

Fellas...

Looks like I'll be getting another .204 as I've yet to find the one that fits ME as a shooter and what my applications will be...

My current Howa, which I gave glowing reports on here, is absolutely fabulous but is just a little too heavy for me to walk 4-6 miles a day when calling coyotes...

A short distance caller or a field shooter, this is THE rifle for you as you can literally shoot eyes out with it....grin...

Now, what current factory .204 does everyone recommend? Will not have the funds to custom anything yet and would like it to be stainless this time around....

Will only be able to contribute funds I'll get from selling my current Howa so probably 600 and below for the rifle is all I can go now....I realize in some areas this not takes out all stainless options but what do you folks say?

-Greg

I've got my own opinions but would like to hear yours...
mudturtle

Post by mudturtle »

If you're looking for light carry rifle, I highly recommend the CZ 527 American. It's not available in stainless, but is a very accruate sporter weight rifle. There Varmint model is a little heavier than the American, but it does not weigh up like my Savage 12. I had a Ruger VT orginally and sold it because I wanted something lighter. I have not regretted my decision to go with the CZ.
take only what the good Lord gives you and give back more than you are given
Gmoney

Post by Gmoney »

mudturtle,

Thanks for the recommendation but have BTDT with the CZ's and don't want any more of that.... :oops:

Plus I don't want to mess up any pretty wood as I can get in thick stuff and get it wet pretty easily...

I'm guessing my options are the WEather Warrior by Savage, the SPS SS by Remmy, the Ruger SS, or ?......
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gomoney: I think I've found the answer, and so far it has worked very well for me having he same exact concern. The rifle of choice is the Remington Model Seven, Stainless/Synthetic. Light, easy to find aftermarket parts for, easy to bed/float, great accuracy in a light, quick-swinging package.

I scoped mine with a Leupold 2.5-8X, and have never looked back. You can carry it all day and not feel the weight like a full-blown HB varmint rifle, and when the dog shows, he's dead meat every time.

The LVSF would also be good, but heavier and longer (The Model Seven action is shorter than a short action M700). The little Seven is sweet under a juniper when you need to swing on Wiley...... ;)
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

headspace

Post by headspace »

Gmoney,

Dont know if this fits your line of thinking, but I recently purchased a 2007 shot show special Browning A-bolt SSA Stainless Stalker in a 204. I don't know all the facts, but believe that Browning did a single production run on the gun and that production run has recently hit retailer shelves. I paid $675 I think. It has a nice composite stock with a palm swell, adjustable trigger and the action is already bedded and barrel floated (I pulled the stock off to see for myself). It's weight is around 6.25 pounds w/o a scope. Still waiting on my scope to come in, so I can't speak for the accuracy yet. I am betting it will be just fine.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I've had my Rem LVSF .204 for about six months, and am thoroughly pleased with it. Smooth action, well balanced, and very accurate.

Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Gmoney wrote:mudturtle,

Thanks for the recommendation but have BTDT with the CZ's and don't want any more of that.... :oops:

Plus I don't want to mess up any pretty wood as I can get in thick stuff and get it wet pretty easily...

I'm guessing my options are the WEather Warrior by Savage, the SPS SS by Remmy, the Ruger SS, or ?......
I bought the Savage WW and am thoroughly disgusted with it. Sent it back to the factory because it keyholed and cratered primers with factory ammo. Still haven't got it back after 5 weeks. Originally wanted the Ruger but none available till the next run. Probably would have in hand by now if I'd had waited. :mad:
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Savage has the camoed Predator Hunter on the market now. It has the accu trigger & comes in around the weight you're looking for.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Gmoney

Post by Gmoney »

Fellas...

What do ya'll think about the new Ruger Hawkeyes?

7 lbs., stainless, supposedly new and improved trigger....

I can get it for 532$...

Anyone heard anything?
Hidalgo

Post by Hidalgo »

Gmoney wrote:Fellas...

What do ya'll think about the new Ruger Hawkeyes?
The new Hawkeye is basically the old M77 MKII with a better trigger. These rifles are VERY adequate for a hunting rifle. However...don't expect 1/2" groups from the skinny barrel. More like 1"-1.5" is about the norm for the Ruger in that configuration.
Gmoney

Post by Gmoney »

1-1 1/2" groups will not cut it for a varmint rifle....

Taking a head shot at a set of eyes at 300 yards at night with a 1 1/2" rifle is no bueno....
crazy2medic
.204 Ruger Guns: custom .204 left hand bolt.

Post by crazy2medic »

If your looking for a lighter .204, why get the howa in the sporter barrels in .204?
Coyote, Cat, Crow, 204 fodder!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gmoney: Here's my Model Seven Stainless/Synthetic...light, accurate, fast handling. If it were me, it would be this again, or possibly the Remmy LVSF. But if weight is the issue, the M7 wins hands down.

Mine will easily shoot under MOA, and for coyotes, that's plenty accurate.

For dinky rodent targets way out there, my HB rifles come into play, but when I want to do a walkabout, or do a bunch of coyote sets, the Model Seven is my best buddy. :wink:

One thing for sure, 'Ole Wiley here would tell you to get the heaviest rifle possible.....so you'll get tired before you find his friends. :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Gmoney

Post by Gmoney »

Rick,

How much velocity are you losing for the 2-4" barrel reduction?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gmoney: As near as I can tell, right at 25fps per inch, which equates right at 100 fps overall loss. No coyote I've ever met could possibly tell the difference.

As this is my calling rifle, and not really a real long range rig, doubtful if even I could tell the difference in velocity. One thing should be mentioned though, this particular rifle is my coyote calling rifle, and is chambered for the .243 Win. I've also got a full custom bench gun in .243 Ackley Improved, 24" Pac-Nor Super Match barrel, and that's where I was able to chrono both rifles to get the difference. Not scientific by any means, just a rough estimate between the two barrels of different length in a factory and an improved chamber.

This should hold true with a rifle chambered in 204 also in regard to velocity loss in a 20" barrel. Hope this helps. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA