Savage Accutrigger Question

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Savage Accutrigger Question

Post by gwglave »

I just picked up a Savage 93R17 FV in .17 HMR for my grandson.....he's only five right now so maybe I'll have to play with it a bit before he gets it :wink:
Anyway, the manual says the Accutrigger is adjustable from 2 1/2 lbs to 6 lbs. I followed the adjustment instructions to the letter hoping to get it to 2 1/2 lbs (40 ozs). After fiddling with it for over an hour, the best I could do was 3 1/2 lbs (56 ozs). I just can't seem to make it go any lighter. I might add that it consistently breaks at 56 ozs.
Since this is my first Savage with an Accutrigger I could be missing something. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

I've experienced similar results with a friend's Savage. I think the 2 1/2" lb estimate is a bit optimistic on some of these rifles.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Same results here. My VLP Accu-trigger is a lot lighter than the one on my Thumbhole .223 on the lowest setting.Take a look at the Savage shooters forum.I seem to remember guys cutting a piece of coil off the spring to make it lighter. :D
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Some will get better with time, smoother and a little lighter. Probably not a full pound though.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

accutrigger

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I don't know what mine brakes at but it felt good right out of the box and every one who has shot it likes the trigger. I like it better than my Timney triggers on my Rugers.
82boy

Post by 82boy »

I have never seen a accu-trigger that will go to the advertised weight. The best you can do is cut a coil or two off the trigger to lighten them up. Beware savage will not sell new springs.

A mention of centerfire accu-trigger, well they are diferent that the rimfire accu-triggers. In the centerfires they make two diferent springs for them. The varmiter rifles like the vlp and lrpv 12 bvss gets a lighter spring than what other rifles get.

The new 6oz accu-trigger out now, still will not go that low, and if you try it will decock, when closing the bolt.

I am a svage lover but dont have an accu-triggers, just dont like them. Played with many of them and can not say i have been impressed.
Ohlsen

Post by Ohlsen »

The trigger on my LRPV breaks at 8oz time after time, never fooled with it. It is kinda weird pulling in the safety and then pulling the trigger on such a light trigger. Guess one has to get use to it.
jeffersonv

Post by jeffersonv »

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that varmint style rifles had the triggers tunable to 2.5 lbs. while other rifles like my Mod 11 were only tunable to 3.5 lbs.
82boy

Post by 82boy »

jeffersonv wrote:I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that varmint style rifles had the triggers tunable to 2.5 lbs. while other rifles like my Mod 11 were only tunable to 3.5 lbs.
Savage advertises that the new (2007) target accu-trigger ( only avalible in the f class, long range percision varmiter) is adjustable from 2.5 lbs to 6 oz.

Savage does not state a weight on the rimfires just says that it is adjustable down to approx 2.5 lbs.

Savage only show the centerfire accu-trigger at 6 lbs to 1.5 lbs, by model number. thier is two triggers but savage will not put a weight on them. I do rember the varmiter rifles being able to go to 1.5 lbs advertised and the regulare rifles at 2lbs advertised.