OFF TOPIC...What 17 HMR??

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

OFF TOPIC...What 17 HMR??

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I'm looking to buy a.17HMR. I have my eye on a thumbhole Savage :roll:. What brand of 17 HMR's are you guys shootin.Also what yardages are you accurately shooting at???I have some close in work to take care of in the back yard.Don't worry it's NOT my ducks ;)

Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Ruger 77/17, bushnell 3200 5x15. Prairie dogs at 200 is cake.Don
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

Hawkeye Joe
I too shoot a Ruger 77/17. However, I did some trigger work on it and put a Green Mountain Fluted Heavy barrel on it. Also did a glass bedding job on it to make sure it was mated just so with the laminated stock.
It will shoot under 1/2" at 100 yards when I do my part. I usually limit my shots to 150 yds or less just because I like to let the .204 do it's thing at the longer ranges.
I gotta say, this is one rifle I would not consider getting rid of.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

Mike
I got wrapped up in the response above and forgot to comment on the ducks. Nice pair :D . After the comment I made last week about your duck pond, you really came thru. Great work!

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

I will second the Ruger. Dispatched 5 squirrels this weekend out to about 80 yds. who where having a time with my bird feeders. Awesome cartridge and rifle. It is squirrel season isn't it?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: I've got two myself, a Ruger 77/22 Mag switch barrel 17HMR, and a CZ 452 Varmint. Both will shoot less than MOA, and both are deadly on squirrels out to 250 yards. My longest kill shot ever with a HMR was with the Ruger/Lilja 17HMR on a squirrel at 328 lasered/witnessed yards, but that's pushing it. I had to dial the range.

I've set up two of those stainless/thumbhole/laminated Savages, and both shoot quite well. They may be the best deal out there for the money in that caliber, and those stocks, oh those stocks....they just feel so sweet.

Here's my two 17HMR's, the CZ doing it's thing. It was retrofitted with a Brooks trigger (8 ozs), has been glassed/floated:

And the Ruger/Lilja (Moyers trigger), glassed/floated:

Both rifles wear Lupy 4-12X Vari-X II's with target elevation turrets, which makes hits way out there much easier. Skippy hates both of these rifles! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I've owned both Marlin and Savage HMRs. Both shot well, I kept the Marlin and gave the Savage to my best bud, everyone needs an HMR :wink: Both shot well, the Savage shoots most anything well enough, the Marlin shoots better with stuff it likes, a lot better. After tweaking and some Acraglas Gel, it averages .6" at 100 yards using Hornady 17 VMs, the bullet it was designed for. I've shot groups as small as a quarter inch, too. The Savage averages right at 1", or a little better. I wouldn't spend the coin for an Anschutz, with them shooting that well.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Thanks, I'll stop on my way home form work to LOOK at some 17's. For some reason all the game is next to the houses.Even the Yote's.I guess thats where the food is. :roll: .One of these days i'll catch a Northern Harrier eating dove at the feeder.He swoops down and BAM :!: Dinner is served 8)
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

eraser3214

Post by eraser3214 »

I have a savage and from what mine has done I don't think you can out shoot the gun. I shoot mine out to 200 yards and have no problems making good hits on squirrels. Anything from 100 in is a sure thing. My favorite thing to do with mine line up golf balls on tees at 100 yards and pick them off, it makes for good practice.

Any way you go you can't really go wrong with the hmr.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I've got my uncle's Savage .17 HMR on loan right now and it's a great shooter. My girlfriend, who's shot a rifle twice in her life now, pulled off a .5", 5 shot group at 100 yards with it! Not bad for a cheap little savage and way to go Sara! I've yet to try it on any type of game but potatoes at 150 yards is no problem.

Depending on what you want to spend, Weatherby team up with Anchutz and created the Mark XXII. It's very spendy for a .17 as you could buy a Savage and put a nice Leupold scope on it for what you would have in the Weatherby but regardless it's a nice looking rifle. The thumbhole Savage you are looking at would be nice also!

http://www.weatherby.com/products/guns. ... DXT17HMR3O
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I have a Marlin & a Savage both. They both shoot good with the nod going to the Marlin with the heavy barrel. If it's just birds & rabbits take a look at the little M2. I shot a groundhog at 80yds a few weeks ago in the neck & it just rolled him off the log dead. :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
mudturtle

Post by mudturtle »

I have the Marlin 17VS and the Savage 17 heavy barrel with the thumbhole stock. Both are excellent shooters and will give .5" groups at 100 yds. while shooting from the bench. Both have accounted for many squirrels and chucks, but my nod goes to the Savage. I worked on my Marlin's trigger and had it nice, but the accutrigger on the Savage is sweet. Neither would be a dissapointment. The CZ's are excellent too. I have one in 22lr. and am planning to buy one 17. You can never have enough. :lol:
take only what the good Lord gives you and give back more than you are given
hunterapp

Post by hunterapp »

I have and shoot a couple of 17 HMR Rifles along with a few HM2 's

Below are the17HMR’s Listed from Favorite to least Favorite

1.) Marlin 917 VS with the rifle basix trigger
2.) CZ452 American -w- Brooks trigger kit
3.) CZ452 Special -w- Brooks trigger kit
4.) Ruger 77 W Timiny sear and a GM barrel
LowPro
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS - CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar - Remington R-15

Post by LowPro »

I have 2 Savage 93R17's...one is the FVSS model, and the other a BTV (with Accu-Trigger).

The FVSS is the workhorse of the two. I've had it for a little over 2 years, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. For a moderate priced 17HMR, it pulls it's weight 'round here. I've had no problems with it, to this day...

I haven't shot the BTV model, yet. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had the chance to dial 'er in yet. I din't really need another 17HMR, but when I saw it at the local gunshop, I just had to have it. It's my first thumbhole stock rifle, and I can't wait to shoot it...

(This is a picture of Savage's 93R17BTVS. They don't show the BTV, but it's the same model, in matte blue)

I paid around $220 for the model FVSS, and $330 for the BTV model.
Last edited by LowPro on Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Thanks Guys 8)
I held a Marlin in gray Laminate with a fluted stainless barrel today.I liked it.But... The Savage action and stock seemed better :shrug: Hmmmm... I'm on the fence.Somebody get a 2X4 and wack me to one side or the other :club: I'm thinking Marlin
Savage thumbhole Stainless $379
Marlin Fluted Stainless $339

Glen
I wouldn't shoot my Coyote bait :shock: . I have a bunch of wild cats that lived in the old abandon house next door.Last spring they knocked it down and the cats are in everything.
Last edited by Hawkeye Joe on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)