barrel cleaning

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Erl

barrel cleaning

Post by Erl »

Ok guys, give me your thoughts. I shot on the Army rifle team so many years ago, I don't even want to think about it. On our 22's, Win model 52 heavy barrels, we never cleaned the bore but maybe one time a year. Some say this is still true for accuracy. My hunting buddy just bought a new 17 HMR and the manual said clean just once a year when you put it away for the year. Do you think the 17 HMR should be treated like a 22 as far a cleaning the bore? 8)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Erl: In a word: 'no'. The 17HMR because of its much faster velocity, shooting copper jacketed bullets, should be cleaned about every 100 rounds or so to keep peak accuracy. You could shoot one for say, 500 rounds, and it would still be fairly accurate, but getting all the copper out after an extended session like that would not be fun, and it would take some time. I clean mine after 100 rounds in the field, and they both shoot MOA.

17HMR = jacketed bullets at 2550 fps
.22LR = lead bullets at 1200 fps
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

Erl
I'm in total agreement with RiO. We shoot a lot of .17HMR ammo (3 - 5,000 rounds) during Sage Rat season here in Central Oregon.
I clean my custom Ruger 77/17 (has a Green Mountain Match heavy, fluted barrel) every night after I get home from the Sage Rat patch.
Since I've never not cleaned it, not sure if the accuracy goes south or not, but why take the chance :shrug: I do know that the action works a whole lot smoother when you keep'em cleaned up.

Rgds, Gerry
adam

Post by adam »

I have a .17 HMR and its cleaned after every session even if i have only fired one shot. This is the same for my .204 aswell. With my .17 i have noticed that groups start to open up after about 12 to 15 shots due to the fouling. A quick scrub and groups tighten up again. Happy shooting :D Its a cracking little round