Ordered my LRPV and scope today!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Ordered my LRPV and scope today!

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I placed an order for my new Savage LRPV 204 today along with a VX-II 6-18 Leupold with the LRV reticle.

Within a week or two I should have my new rifle. I may have it sooner depending on when I can make the trip back "home" to pick it up. Unfortunately, the dealer that I have always gone to lives about 95 miles south of me now that I've moved!

I can't wait to get this thing set up and spend the day at the range.... :pistols:
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

i hear ya

Post by dannybracy »

I hear ya there Wolf. I just got mine all set up and now waiting on the weather to shape up so i can dial in the scope. I havn't had the best of luck as things have been a lil rocky like Burris sending me a high front ring and a medium rear ring......wouldn't have made it very easy to sight in that scope....haha. Good luck and let me know what yours likes for bullets. I have a few diff ones to try and have already loaded some in diff. powder gr.'s to see what it likes.....just gotta get the blizzard outta the area. Lata
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

dannybracy - what area of Iowa are you from? Pretty much all my family lives up there. I hope my luck changes also, the big brown truck just dropped off my new Redding T-7 Turret press...unfortunately i think someone dropped it because there is a big piece broken off of it! Now I have to send it back and wait for a new one to arrive. It looks like I might be shooting factory loads if my rifle arrives before i get my new press.

What base did you use? I'll keep you posted on my progress and what the rifle like, you do the same.
dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

Hey Wolf, i live in central Iowa....poke a dot right in the middle of the state and i live there. Where is your fam. located? That sucks about your press......what is with these LRPV and the bad luck? ---->Broken press--a high ring and a medium scope ring! Hope this isn't an indication of something. Ya, I have some factory 40gr V-maxs that i am going to do the breaking in w/ and then to the 90 ladder loads we did between the 32 gr v-max and a 40 gr Nosler. I used the Burris Trumount Universal in the nickle and I think i will really like it. Has the dovetail front and the windage rear. Seems like the weather is gonna be in the 40's on friday so the paper is gonna get some holes in it!!! haha I will keep you posted. Later Wolf
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

dannybracy wrote:.....what is with these LRPV and the bad luck? ---->Broken press--a high ring and a medium scope ring!

Ya know ,I'm still waiting on my scope :eek: I hope the LRPV bandits didn't get hold of it.Good luck to both you guys! The trigger is sweeeet!!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

dannybracy

Crazy

Post by dannybracy »

LOL....i do think this gun is spooked w/ some ghosts or something! I know what you mean Hawkeye, that new trigger is AWESOME!!! i havn't even messed w/ mine and it takes nothing to fire.....kinda hesitant to make it any finer. Let me know if either of you guys adjust it.
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

well it sounds like you guys can at least handle the gun and play around with it....mine came in today, now i just need to make the trip back to the home to pick it up. I don't know what's worse, having the gun in your possession but not being able to shoot it or waiting to pick it up and bring it home for the first time. I'm hoping this weekend i can get my hands on it.

I sent the Redding press back to Midway yesterday, i'm hoping to have a new one by early next week.

dannybracy - my family is up in the Northeast corner of the state.
ridgerunnr

your new 204's

Post by ridgerunnr »

just a suggestion, make sure you take the stock off and clean up the trigger assy. Mine had so much crud around th esear it caused slam fires..thankfully on a dry fore test after cleaining the bolt assy.
Dannybrace..I am in Se MN..you been out prairie doggin before?
dannybracy

Prairie dogging

Post by dannybracy »

Ridgerunner.....nope i have never been before but my g/f's dad goes every year and loves it. He is getting a LRPV also. I have been wanting an accurate rifle for a long time and this is my first rifle ever besides 22's. I live in central IA about 4 hrs straight south of Minneapolis. Where do you go doggin at? Heard it is a blast. Let me know....and i will have to take a look at my trigger too.... i am sure the gunk you are speaking of is the shipping grease or wax that are on some of the parts.... Thanks for the advice and get back to me.
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I'll make sure to take everything apart and give it a good cleaning as soon as i get the rifle.
dannybracy

retorque??

Post by dannybracy »

when taking that stock off....what do you have to retorque the stock screws down to? thanks
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I've got a B-Square Gunsmith Screwdriver Set that I got for Christmas from Midway that works well. I'm always able to find the bit that fits each screw head perfectly.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

dannybracy--I believe your rifle is pillar bedded?? If so, I think I remember reading that Savage rifles with the pillar bedding are supposed to be torqued to 25 inch lbs.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
dannybracy

retorque??

Post by dannybracy »

Hey FOX, thanks for the info. I will have to be taking that apart and checkin to see how goopy mine is. Thanks again!
dannybracy

Goin Prarie Doggin!

Post by dannybracy »

Hey Guys..... I am going on my first PD hunt in 2 weeks.... I still havn't cleaned up my trigger as I am a lil intimedated to do so just because it shoots so good now....! To get to that sear to make sure it is GUNK free, do i take all 4 bottom screws(2 on the trigger guard and 2 on the for-stock) and then just retorque them down? I am a do-it-yourselfer...but this for some reason just intimedates me a little. I probly need a lil encouragement or just a play by play to get me going. I have the correct tools to do it also. Can anyone throw a lil more info my way. Thanks much -Dan