who is shooting a CZ 527 American 204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
22 HORNET
.204 Ruger Guns: none

who is shooting a CZ 527 American 204

Post by 22 HORNET »

If so how does it shoot. Thinking about buying one. Thanks for you help. HORNET
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: who is shooting a CZ 527 American 204

Post by futuretrades »

I do not own or shoot a CZ in 204, but I know a lot of people on here do. I hear a lot of good things about the CZ's, as far as accuracy out of the box. Me personally, I have my own issues with the CZ. I do have a 427 American in 17HMR.

If you are not dead set on the CZ, you might want to consider the Howa's. IMHO, the Howa rifles are the best deal on the market, and they shoot, and they don't have that funky clip sticking below the gun, and you won't have put up with the, IMHO, POS clip release! :wall:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Hornet, I have four Howa's and will say the same as Futuretrades. They are a good rifle, or the money/value and shoot well. Now if you do want to add, like that "Funky clip" thing.. They do make a conversion for either a five or ten round magazine. Otherwise just use the standard magazine. They have improved the triggers, on all new models. So unless you just want a CZ, check out the Howa's. Even just a barreled action, which Howa sells, then put it into a decent Boyd's (or someone else's) stock. Bill K
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I have one and have owned it for about 6-years now. All mine needed was to free float the barrel and with the right load, it is a hammer, capable of producing 0.5-inch groups @ 200 yards and easily kills rats out to 400 yards or more depending on conditions. I bore scoped the barrel in mine right after I got it and was as clean, smooth and sharp as either of my Kreiger or Obermeyer barrels. It is probably the best carry gun out there in that caliber if the clip doesn't bother you but if you're going to use it as a bench gun where a lot of shooting is involved, the barrel will heat up pretty quick. I have and will probably to continue to use mine in the fields but I have plenty of others to swap out so it won't get heated up to quickly. There are some differences with the CZ platform when compared to others;

- The safety operates the opposite from my Remington 700's.
- Uses a set trigger that is really nice but when used it does create a different trigger length pull [hope I'm describing it right]. One doesn't have to use it if they don't want to.
- The clip. I guess to some it can be a problem but most of my shooting experience came from M14's and M16's early on so it's not an issue with me.

HTH,
Varmitzapper
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Americian

Post by Varmitzapper »

I've had one for about four years now, and I love it.
I'm in South Jersey below the mason/dixon line, and were seeing more and more groundhogs each year.
In 2013 I shot 45 last year it was 43. were hunting 7 different farms. The Farmer's love us.
Back to the rifle, since switching from a 25.06 4 years ago, I love that you can see the hits or the misses due to the lack of recoil.
I have it zeroed at 200 yards and it shoots 1/2" moa groups @200. Longest kill has been 300. there's only a few farms with longer yardages.
I've only used the set trigger for a few of the longer range hogs.
I only take the 25 out once in a while just to check the zero.
montdoug
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint Kevlar with match chamber and zero free-bore.

Post by montdoug »

Can't speak to the American but not to awful long after the .204 came out CZ introduced the 527 Varmint Kevlar in .204 with an HS Precisions stock, I bought one. That woulda been early in 2005. It was a 1/2 inch-ish rifle outta the box with it's favorite load being created in WW cases using RL 10X and 39 grain Sierra BlitzKings with Remington 7 1/2BR primers.
Not being satisfied with things as they are and not really caring for all the free-bore in the .204 I had the factory barrel setback and rechambered with a minimum spec, zero free-bore chamber with a snug but no turn neck. I've heard it called a match chamber and it does indeed shoot a bit better now with even 32 grain bullets being able to reach the lands with good bullet purchase in the case. Both my 39 grain load and 32 grain load as well will not only touch the lands but fit into the magazine as also. It's a permanent fixture in the ole varmint battery now. Aside from the re-chambering it's a standard CZ and it shoots better than I can anymore :oops: .
The re-chambering was not needed to get that CZ to shoot great and in fact I've created a .204 Wildcat out of it that is no longer safe with factory ammo but I never shoot factory loads in it anyway.
Bottom line IMO is CZ make a great shooting rifle and I like em a lot!! I even like the looks of em!
Shoot Safe!
montdoug