Remington 700 sps varmit

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Remington 700 sps varmit

Post by savageboy23 »

I have read on this forum that a few had problems with the rifle grouping well. Is this still a problem? I have been looking into a heavier varmit rifle and turning my current savage model 11 into a hunting walk about. In the future I plan on purchasing a Cooper and/or kimber when the finances allow. But for the immediate time I'd like a 700 to shoot.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Re: Remington 700 sps varmit

Post by broper »

I have a rem. 700 VLS, heavy barrel,.204. I had the trigger tuned and adjusted to 3 lbs. then I sanded out the lumps in the barrel channel. It is really acurate. I shot a .169 group with 32 gr. Nosler Varmageddons.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

broper wrote:I have a rem. 700 VLS, heavy barrel,.204. I had the trigger tuned and adjusted to 3 lbs. then I sanded out the lumps in the barrel channel. It is really acurate. I shot a .169 group with 32 gr. Nosler Varmageddons.
So their is hope if its not accurate right out of the box. I have heard wonderful things about The 700 action and the rifles themselves. Very few manufacturers are chambering factory rifles in .204 now. So my choices are limited and my budget isn't that large at the moment. I forsure am holding off a Cooper at the moment.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Although my .204s consist of a Cooper and a Remington LVSF, I do have the 700 SPS in the stainless Varmint style in .22-250. It was accurate right out of the box, in fact I bought it as kind of a backup rifle to my .204s and never shot anything but factory ammo out of it, never even bought dies. Can't think of any rounds that were over an inch, and 55 gr. F-P NBTs will go 5/8" 3-shot (remember, this $1 a round) groups. Like I said, I don't shoot it much, but am convinced it's an accurate rifle. My theory is: stick to the stainless-action Rem. 700s and you'll be ok; I think the VSF with the Tupperware stock is the only one like that in .204 they still make. However, those C-Z 527 Varmints would be hard to beat value-wise for an accurate, well-made varminter.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

RowdyYates wrote:I think the VSF with the Tupperware stock is the only one like that in .204 they still make. However, those C-Z 527 Varmints would be hard to beat value-wise for an accurate, well-made varminter.
I think that one has been discountinued. The only 2 that are currently made are the sps varmit and the vls. I want the VSF in 220 swift. If the sps varmit is a bad choice I will go with the Ruger M77
goosebrown
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint, Savage 12

Post by goosebrown »

I have a 700 SPS Varmint and I hated it for quite a while. It was sub MOA... just. I got an HS Precision stock and that helped, the Remington stock is shockingly flimsy. Then my wife got me a Timney trigger which is light and crisp. I worked on my loads and found that the lighter bullets didn't do so well, nor the lead free ones. I have had a lot of success with Sierra 39gr and RL10x at 24.8gr. Got that load here BTW. I think it is now about 1/2 MOA with regularity.

After all this if it were me, I would never buy a Remington again. I have two Savages and as of right now I would buy another Savage to replace your 11. They all have good stocks and great triggers. Also you might want to rethink that 11 and keep it and just get a Savage 25. I particularly like this one, I have this stock on my Savage 22. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25LVT

I know people like Remington, but having had several and now several Savages, I like Savage MUCH more.
Matt Brown
mbrown [at] moss beach ceramics dot com (no spaces, one dot)
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

How about a Tikka? I have this model in 22-250 and so far I've been very happy with it. http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/LiteStainless.pdf

The trigger is very nice right out of the box, better than my Savage's accutrigger. The action is super smooth and the plastic stock isn't nearly as flimsy as the other makers.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Im not too big of a tikka fan
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I picked up a 700 SPS in 17 FB to turn into a 20VT. I'm also replacing the stock. Out of the box, the trigger is crisp but firm. Dunno how it would of shot but I wasn't impressed with the stock. I wanted the action/bolt because I prefered a repeater over a single-shot.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

goosebrown wrote:I have a 700 SPS Varmint and I hated it for quite a while. It was sub MOA... just. I got an HS Precision stock and that helped, the Remington stock is shockingly flimsy. Then my wife got me a Timney trigger which is light and crisp. I worked on my loads and found that the lighter bullets didn't do so well, nor the lead free ones. I have had a lot of success with Sierra 39gr and RL10x at 24.8gr. Got that load here BTW. I think it is now about 1/2 MOA with regularity.

After all this if it were me, I would never buy a Remington again. I have two Savages and as of right now I would buy another Savage to replace your 11. They all have good stocks and great triggers. Also you might want to rethink that 11 and keep it and just get a Savage 25. I particularly like this one, I have this stock on my Savage 22. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25LVT

I know people like Remington, but having had several and now several Savages, I like Savage MUCH more.
I ordered the rifle along with the Varmit SF in .220 swift. In looking at the rifles in the gun store I was pleased with the action and feel of the rifle itself. I would be satisfied with sub moa groups mainly because I don't shoot competitions. And down the road there will be a Cooper in my safe. :D
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

SB23: Looks like I caught you too late to tell you about a .204 Remington XR100 Rangemaster for sale on another forum. Looks like you did ok though. Btw, I put a B&C Medalist stock and Timney trigger on my SPS V; however, much more aftermarket stuff on a 700 puts one almost up in Cooper-land. :)
NY Hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 spss varmint

Post by NY Hunter »

I have the Rem 700 SPS stainless varmint in .204 Ruger. After struggling with initial accuracy (damaged crown), I can offer the following observations. The factory stock is very flexible (OK, cheap) and is not free floated so I replaced it with a Boyd's stock. The X mark pro trigger is wonderful for a stock trigger and is capable of a useful range of adjustment for a hunting rifle. Very little creep or over travel. 26" HEAVY barrel, hope you are prepared to carry that around. Accuracy- I use mine for coyote / predator hunting. I no longer reload so I have only shot factory ammo. 32gr's shot fairly good as well as the Hornady 45 gr's. Didn't seem to like the 40 gr's. Most groups well under an inch when I do my part. Overall- great for what I need it for.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

NY Hunter wrote:I have the Rem 700 SPS stainless varmint in .204 Ruger. After struggling with initial accuracy (damaged crown), I can offer the following observations. The factory stock is very flexible (OK, cheap) and is not free floated so I replaced it with a Boyd's stock. The X mark pro trigger is wonderful for a stock trigger and is capable of a useful range of adjustment for a hunting rifle. Very little creep or over travel. 26" HEAVY barrel, hope you are prepared to carry that around. Accuracy- I use mine for coyote / predator hunting. I no longer reload so I have only shot factory ammo. 32gr's shot fairly good as well as the Hornady 45 gr's. Didn't seem to like the 40 gr's. Most groups well under an inch when I do my part. Overall- great for what I need it for.

NY Hunter: My thoughts exactly. For my intended purpose for the rifle that will be just fine.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Remy 700 sps varmit in 204 ruger. I know I just purchased a brand new one. The used rifle has 100-200 rounds down the pipe. The guy wants 550 or bo w/ a Barska scope(not a fan of the scope). I asked him how much without the scope. My local scheels is selling the same models for 549.99(.223,.22-250, and .308). Mine was 629.99(special order) minus a $50 rebate so 579.99. What would be a reasonable offer without knowing how old the rifle is?
bdweis73
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS, Savage 12 FV-S

Post by bdweis73 »

It has taken me a year and half and I don't know how many load variations to get my Remmy sps 204 to finally shoot descent, I have replaced the stock with Boyd's thumbhe also pillared and bedded, messed with trigger to get close to my liking. Only load it will shoot is 32 balistic tip Noslers with 26.1 of Re 10x and remington 7 1/2 primers above max load. But everything else it patterned like sawed off shotgun, I almost gave up an rebarreled it. So last weekend thought I'd try Noslers after trying Hornady and sierras. Also have Savage model 12 in 204, first loads I ever put together shot under 1/2", sierra 39 SBK'S sure shoot good in it. And that was with the cheap factory plastic stock.