Calling in foxes

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ozfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Calling in foxes

Post by ozfox »

I use a tin whistle
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Calling in foxes

Post by RAMOS »

I use a convertible Corvette and credit cards!

JK, I don't have a car like that and, I hate credit cards.
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

RAMOS wrote:I use a convertible Corvette and credit cards!

ha ha ramos thats gold i dont have much luck calling in foxs with the whistle, only shot one that came in ,most the time they head the other way as soon as you start i have more luck with baits like shooting a few rabbits on warrens then returning the next evening cheers bazz
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I've found the whistle to be useless on young pups - not familiar with killing rabbits yet.
And no good for older ones - too wise and like Bazz said, usually scares them.
But at the right age it's very effective.
I did a quick look up the top of my paddock last summer and spotted a fox running into the bushes 150 yds away. 1 quick blow on the whistle had him running straight back at me (car in full view) across the open and didn't look like he was gonna stop til he smacked into me. Had to yell at him to stop about 20 yds out.
Under the spotlight the tin whistle usually at worst buys enough time to get a shot off or even get them a little closer. But last outing it just spooked them.
Never tried baiting, but my Dad used to head back to the Roos that had worms (having left them as they were unsuitable for human consumption) at the end of the night and often pick up a few foxes.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

RAMOS wrote:I use a convertible Corvette and credit cards!

LOL - perfect response!!
ozfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by ozfox »

What about the electronic callers i have looked at them but i think dont sound right ?
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

talking to other hunters and they sear by the good electronic callers but dont use rabbit calls having more luck with calls like birds in distress or crows calling when feeding and they all say the same thing they really work on the bigger properties ,bazz
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

The "crows feeding" makes sense. I can see how a fox would be attracted to that.
May even bring in a few crows to pop if the red dogs don't show :D
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

Here in the U.S. we call mostly coyotes. We have fox but they're not as numerous as over there. The e-callers work well on the coyotes. We use rabbit distress but wounded bird or woodpecker distress work reall well. In areas where they're called a lot it helps to use something other than rabbit distress. Seems everybody and his brother use that. Do you have any type of wild dogs there, other than foxes? Is it legal to call and shoot dingos?
chrisso
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka t3

Post by chrisso »

we have used the button whistle all our years, called in heaps. the young ones are so stupid they will run into you before they know whats going on. the older ones are more wise, harder to call them in, but when their hungry it works a treat. the electronic callers seem pretty good, but ive never used one before. its not far away from fox whistling season when the young cubs are out and about, thats when the fun starts.
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

broper wrote:Do you have any type of wild dogs there, other than foxes? Is it legal to call and shoot dingos?
There are escaped/dumped pet dogs that breed in the wild. Some of these cross with the dingos too.
Dingos are a native dog.
There is a fence that was built many years ago to keep the dingos out of grazing zones and away from sheep. It stretches over 5,500 km from SE Queensland to SW South Australia. Any dingo found south of the dog fence is a declared pest and landowners are required to control (trap, bait, shoot) them.
I've known a few pets that were part dingo, and they were all beautiful dogs. But any wild dog (or even pets that aren't confined) will cause massive damage to a flock of sheep - killing or maiming many more than they can eat. Farmers usually only look twice at a stray dog on their property, the second time is through their scope.
I've never seen a dingo, but they do get through the fence, and there are people employed to patrol the areas closer to the fence.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

Very interesting about your wild dogs and dingos. I've seen a few wild domestic dogs ( feral dogs ) here but they're not real common. It' seems to me that when the domestics go wild they are more aggressive and do more damage than the coyotes. The feral dogs I've known of traveled in packs and didn't have as much fear of humans. That is some fence you've got there, bet that took quite awhile to put up. Thanks for answering my questions. I've always been very interested in Australia.
Bob
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by magnum »

over here in the uk most of my shooting is (foxing ) i use a foxpro wildfire caller had it about a year now and my fox number has gone up 100% its the best £200 i,v spent had them running in from 800 mts up on the hills they come rigth in to the caller which i set up around 100 mts from me
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

magnum wrote: i use a foxpro wildfire caller had it about a year now and my fox number has gone up 100%
That's awesome.
What sounds do you use?
Can you put the extra foxes down to more time in the field because of the new toy? Or is the caller actually more effective?
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by magnum »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:
magnum wrote: i use a foxpro wildfire caller had it about a year now and my fox number has gone up 100%
That's awesome.
What sounds do you use?
Can you put the extra foxes down to more time in the field because of the new toy? Or is the caller actually more effective?
no its defo the caller went from 1 a nite to 2/3 a nite the best is (9 we shoot )if they are about a lot of the time you can shoot 1 after 1 min of calling got about 15 fox calls from matting calls are working well at the min!!! cub calls and territory calls just started pairing up over here but spring and summer bunny squerls ,bunny dist,scream,n bunny,rodent distress,vole squeaks,adult rat dist,game bird dist , partridge and pheaant dist ,squirrel dist,jackrabbit dist ,chicken dist calls around the farms they all seem to work just mixe them up it may have 200 calls on it but i use about 30/ 40 most of the time (it dose get them in so you can shoot them) like i said up on the hills pick 1 up 800 mts he ran down and shoot him about 40 mts off the caller (the caller was set up about 100 mts from us )you can mute the caller when the fox is close so not to spook him/her IAN