cz527 kevlar vs walnut

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ddwaite
.204 Ruger Guns: none1

cz527 kevlar vs walnut

Post by ddwaite »

I am looking at getting a cz527 varmint. Although they no longer produce it, the 527 with kevlar is still available. My understanding is the kevlar stock has a bedding rail and is floated. The walnut is neither bedded or floated. I like the looks of the walnut, however, want the one which should perform the best.
How difficult would it be to either bed and or float the walnut?
Opinions please, pro & con. Thank you.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Re: cz527 kevlar vs walnut

Post by Pmoper »

Kevlar is actually made by McMillan...I have it on my 527 Varmint and its weather proof and take the occasional bump on a log or a rock in stride.....wood can warp and takes a bit more care...its all what you like...Will say my .204 shoots lights out
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Wood always feels and looks better, but the kevlar will take abuse and weather better. Bill K
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Bud's is selling both at good prices now. Since the difference in price is only 74 bucks, for me at least it would be a no-brainer to pop for the close-out "old" style Kevlar model; am pretty sure it also has the full-length aluminum bedding block, btw. It shouldn't be too hard to bed/float the walnut one (or pay a gunsmith to do it), but you'll have more time and labor in it than just buying the Kevlar; some wood owners seem to be satisfied with the accuracy out of the box.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Might I suggest, as it holds and does not move around or flex, a laminated wood, if you go with wood. Much more rigid than just a standard wood stock. They look good and still have the feel and charm of wood. Bill K
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

The Kevlar doesn't move either....there is no flex what-so-ever....
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

i would never have wood or laminated wood ,wood moves though cycles of swelling and contracting and turn the way the grain runs so resighting has to be done and lam stocks will swell and shrink a little as well , i know the purest will say a good piece of oak looks and feels better and all so soaks up recoil but have rifles that were set up ten years ago and there point of impact has never changed and when i was a pro shooter they took a lot of knocks as well just my 2 cents cheers bazz