Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by ClaimJumper »

Hello fellow 204 shooters!

Don here, I have loaded and shot CF rifles since 1969. I have been reading here for a while and have an AR-15 and CZ Bolt gun in 204. I own many other Varmint guns but the 204 is by far my MVP. I live in Oregon, and had lived in Colorado where I shot P-Dogs year long in NE Col. Even when the snow is flying they are 5-10% out. Here in La Pine I shoot out by Fort Rock in the early spring and late winter, with 2-3 days per week trips to Bonanza Or. Pretty much Feb-July I shoot Squirrels, then head back to Colorado for a month.

Since I retired I have been shooting more and more, and love calling Coyotes with hand calls as I have done for many years. I trapped most winters when I was a timber faller in the 70's and enjoy all of the outdoors.

Retired Timber faller
Don't Tread On Me!
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 11

Post by Don't Tread On Me! »

Hello all. I am an experienced predator hunter from Colorado. My current stick is a .204 Savage 11 with a 6-24x40 for optics. I like to engage my targets at extreme range if at all possible. I guess the Army has tought me a few things in the "shooting at range" department. I am a fabricator by trade and a father of 2. My goal becoming a member to this forum is to learn what I can and help when possible. Hopefully the other members here have the same love and passion for the .204 that I have. I look forward to reading all of your info and discussing tactics. Thank you for your time. -DTOM!
stevienicknacks
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 204 Varmint with Thumbhole stock

Post by stevienicknacks »

Hi, Im Steve. I live in North Wales in the UK. Have been shooting for a long time now and have a 4 rifles and a shot gun. Shoot many different types of quarry from Pigeon and Crows to Pheasant and deer. Just added the 204 Ruger to my cabinet and love it already. Looking forward to some good debate and discussion. Cheers STEVE
Texaz
.204 Ruger Guns: AR15 in .204

Post by Texaz »

Hello:

My name is Texaz and I live in the Texas Hill Country. I am an avid shooter, have been all my life, but I'm new to the .204 Ruger.

As a matter of fact, I just got a new AR15 upper assembly in .204 for Christmas. I'm thinking it will be my ultimate pdog/coyote rifle as soon as I get it functioning properly.

The problem is that is won't cycle. I'll be posting the issue elsewhere in the forum, because this probably isn't the right place for it.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from you guys....thanks for having me!
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Texaz, you'll find some AR advice here! Also, ar15.com is a fantastic resource!!
busa204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger m77 hawkeye

Post by busa204 »

I won a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204 ruger caliber. Put Nikon 4.5x14 Preditor coyote scope on (rec'd from Santa)...it also came with a box of Hornady varmit 32gr v-max shells. I sited in @100yd to 1/2"high dead center(Hornady ballistic chart recomends)off sandbag..gun w/scope shoots very consistents groups dead nuts..not more than 1/8-1/4 with shots touching...very pleased. Hornady ballistic charts really show 40gr. v-max to be the round to shoot. Rumors of too hot of loads have been burning barrels/grooves out!! would like recommendations/discussions about 204. would like to try varmit hunting..the gun/scope really shoot&feels smooth...
I am 54 married father of 2 grown up young men..live in upstate eastern/central New York by Mass boarder of Mass Pike..Coyotes are abundent to area..need to get calls etcs...been hunting since I was 10-11yrs old..enjoy hunting
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

G'day busa. I'm in South Australia. I've got one of those shooting sticks too. Shot federal factory ammo with 39gn BKs well. Been working on some reloads, but as it's my first, it's been a steep learning curve and still got a lot to learn.
Keep us posted with your hunting stories, AND PHOTOS!!
And let us know how the reloads go if you get into it.
Welcome aboard
RwBeV
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10 & Axis

Post by RwBeV »

Hello all from WY, finally had the chance to get out a shoot a couple of .204's that I rebarreled. One is a 110 Savage that I rebarreled with a heavy Model 10 barrel and the other is a new Axis that I rebarreled with a fluted Savage barrel. (thanks Song Dog). Both rifles shot Hornaday factory 40's under 1/2" and with a load of BallC2 that I just pulled out of my head and 40gr Berger's they both shot around 1/2". I have been very impressed with the 20's in general, I have an Axis in 20 Practical AI and another in 20 Vartarg and I am building a 20 Ackley Hornet on a Remington 591.

I found out about this forum from a friend and just had to check it out I think I will stay a while.

Bob
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Welcome aboard!!! Looks like you have some experience already in the 20s!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
RwBeV
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10 & Axis

Post by RwBeV »

Nope... forgot to mention that I built my first 20 less than 6 months ago, just been lucky at finding componets to build with I guess. I would like to find a fast twist (9) for a wild cat based on the short Krag case, also.

Bob
4Bear
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter

Post by 4Bear »

Hello shooters! I’m new to the 204. I have been shooting the venerable 270 for about 40 years and found it versatile enough to do everything from groundhogs to elk as long as I worked up appropriate loads like the 160 grain Nosler Partition for the elk and 110 Hornaday V-Max for groundhogs. But I decided to get something different to play with so I just ordered a Savage model 10 Predator Hunter. Waiting on the delivery now. I plan to hunt groundhogs and coyotes with this new gun. Coyotes are a new addition to our hunting opportunities since they have just arrived in our part of Maryland. Lucky us! I will probably have a few questions after I shoot some factory ammo just to check out the gun (Hornaday in 32 & 40 grain).
Last edited by 4Bear on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cubdad67
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 110

Post by cubdad67 »

Hi all in the 204 Ruger.com world. I would call my self a new shoter. I have spent 24 years in the Army and have been shooting on my own just enough to keep the trusty hunting rifle zeroed. I have only had my Savage model 110 in .204 for about 6 months now. I also started to reload this past summer. I will now have lost of time to shoot for fun but verly little cash flow to buy new rounds or even new components all the time. I hope that I can get some great info on getting brass cheap as possible. I do check the brass beens at the range to see if anyone has left any behind that look good to reshoot. But not to many leave the brass behind. What ever help you have to offer would be great. I also shoot 300 Win, 270 Win, 30-30, 45 carbin, 380 auto, 45 APC, 45-70 gov and 9 mm.

Glad to have found this site.
Thank you all
4Bear
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter

Post by 4Bear »

I’ve been having a little trouble setting things up so this may be a second post. Sorry if this is the second introduction from me that you’ve seen.
My name is Ken and I have just ordered my first Ruger 204 gun, it is a Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter package. I have multiple guns of different calibers but have relied on the venerable 270 WIN for many decades and have developed useful loads for everything from groundhogs to elk. Most recently, I have been shooting it in a Weatherby Vanguard. Just a few years ago after killing many whitetail deer with the 270 in the 130 grain mass, I worked up a 160 grain Nosler Portioned load that took a 5x6 elk off his feet at 218 yards, very-much impressing my skeptical guide. I got to say "I told you so" wiothout being thrown out of camp! I gave away three boxes to the three guides in camp before leaving and they confessed they may try them for something other than muleys. I have been using 90 grain Speer and 110 grain Hornaday SST loads for groundhogs, but decided it was time to get a really flat shooting gun with long legs for groundhogs and the Ruger 204 impresses me. I will continue to poke my 17 HRM (also a Savage) out the kitchen window for groundhogs from time to time, but the 204 and the 270 will be going on expeditions to purge the fields of those pesky vermin.

P.S. Coyotes have just arrived in my part of Maryland, so the 204 may have an opportunity to prove itself on them as well.
RedLeg
.204 Ruger Guns: Varmint 18"

Post by RedLeg »

Not exactly new, but thought I would intro myself and give a quick update. Live in the PNW, where it rains quite a bit. :mad:
Proud Army VFW.
Finally got to the range to do a little shooting. For those that know, I had a bet going with a seasoned BR shooter about my AR .204 and group size. Anyone not familiar with bet, page 3 .204 Accuracy thread explains it all. Best 3 shot group at 100 yds came in at 15/16 in. Best 5 shot group (actually 6) 1 9/16 in.
Then things went to heck. :wall:
Need more range time, testing, and practice.
But hey, that is what this is all about, right? :)

Steve
1st ID Big Red One
ImageImage
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I think you should try my AR for that bet. My new best group is .220 and my average is now about a .4 in group. I'm shooting CRT's new 37 grain bullets.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable