Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
sledboyjr
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by sledboyjr »

Thanks

I am already learning lots, and am enjoying this site very much.
If A Man Is In A Forest, With No Woman To Hear Him...IS HE STILL WRONG?
I Dream Of A Better World, Where Chickens Can Cross The Road Without Their Motives Being Questioned
Virginian
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR 15

Post by Virginian »

Hello everyone,

I just joined today and thought I post up a quick howdy-do. I lived in VA my whole life and I'm mostly a varmint hunter. I do a little bit of black powder deer hunting and some predator hunting as well. I mostly use a corn or soy bean field to do all my load development and target shooting. Here in northern VA the local ranges are standing room only and there's always somebody shooting a bazooka right next to you where the muzzle flash is singing your eyebrows.

I just received a Dtech AR upper in .204 with a 20" 1:10 twist and I'm having issues with the load development. I hope to get some help in this regard.

Married, no kids and close to retirement. My wife and I have built our log cabin on a local lake and we hope to take our last breath there.

Eric
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Good to have you here Eric!! Post away & remember,, WE LIKE PICTURES!!!!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Welcome, Eric.....you've come to the right place....great bunch of folks and a lot of knowledge and experience!!

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
204hotrod
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLSS 4-16 X 56 mildot Millett varmint scope

Post by 204hotrod »

Hi, everyone. I have been lurking about here for some time, then joined a little over a month ago. I am not new to the 204 or other high speed varmint rifles though.
I have been shooting the 204 for about 5 years now. I am 65 years old, and have been into shooting and reloading since I was a teenager. I got my first 22-250 just about 40 years ago. There are a couple of young guys on here that I pointed to the 204 ( you know who you are, Randy and Brandon ). I live in western North Dakota
and have plenty of prairie dogs to shoot within minutes of my place. When they aren't snowed under!!!! I shoot a Remington 700 VLSS thumbhole with a Jewell trigger and a 4-16 X 56 MM Millett Mildot 30mm tube. I am working on my local gun shop to get a Cooper Dealership here locally. When he does, a Cooper will be mine in 204!!! Topped with a 6.5 - 20 x 50 Leupold.
I also have a Remmy 700 Varmint SF in 22-250 w/ Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 Mildot and HS Precision stock. And then a couple of 223's ; AR and Mini-14
Then also some bigger stuff, 30-06 and 338 WM
Don
Are you gonna pull them pistols, or just whistle dixie??
WnMag
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M Pro Varmint .204 Ruger- Cooper M21

Post by WnMag »

Well its about time you jumped in here Don. Too bad you had to work today, Randy and I had fun calling in them yote's.
I think it was me....or the wind.
glenn2466
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 (4x4)

Post by glenn2466 »

My name is Glenn and i've just purchased my first .204 , I havent shot it yet but am itchin to. I am wandering if there is anyone that knows about the perticular gun i have ? It is a Savage model 12 ,But on the bolt it says "4x4" and having a hard time finding any info. It also has a 18" - 20" heavy barrel and i have a weaver V16
on top , so nice to be here and hope to get to know you all that are on here thanks and happy shootin.
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

I'm Tom, retired military (20 years) and retired law enforcement (22 years). Did two stints in the "sandbox" of Afghanistan and Doha Qatar. I worked Force Protection at Kandahar AB in the southern desert (2007) and did security at Doha in 2008. That "war" is certainly quite different from what I experienced in Vietnam (June 66 - Dec 67).

I'm an avid benchrest shooter and build my long range rifles on Savage actions. I'm currently shooting 223 Rem (8 twist), 223 Ackley Improved (8 twist), 6mm Norma BR, 6.5X47 Lapua and a 308 built on a Czech 98 Mauser action with a heavy Parker Hale barrel. In a "horse trade" today, I inherited a 204 Ruger built on the AR platform. The barrel is 24" stainless fluted on an A3 upper receiver, mounting a Mueller 8X32X50AO scope.

I've been a reloader for about 40 years now but the 204 is completely new territory for me, especially in a "gas gun". I signed up on this site to learn all I can about loading and shooting this caliber. At 64 years, I'm not too old to learn. :D
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

GaCop.....Welcome to the site a great bunch here!!
All are willing to help answer your questions. So ask away. Thank you for your service to such a great country. Glade your state side.
Welcome and enjoy the company here.
Later
Ray P
Last edited by Ray P on Thu May 26, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
got_rut
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center

Post by got_rut »

Hello all,

I just noticed this forum and had to join now that I am a proud owner of a .204 TC encore. I have it topped with a Elite 4200 4--16 and will be working up some loads for it. I would eventually love to have it perform like my savage predator max-1 in .243 caliber. Hopefully, I can get some of my load data on this forum for other guys to use.

Aim small
stein
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 ar-15 frankenstein.

Post by stein »

I am from east central Utah. Been hunting since I could hold up both ends of a rifle. Been reloading for about 10 years. Just really getting serious about my frankenstein .204 which took me 2 years to build. I found the site looking for load data for 34gr. Warming nightmare. Got some. Worked up some of my own. Haven't shot them yet. Will let you know how they fly.
pmspaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25

Post by pmspaul »

Hi. I am from central Ohio. I had been looking for a small caliber varmint rifle for my son to shoot. I happened into a fantastic deal I couldn't pass up on a Savage model 25 all setup and ready to shoot. I will be reloading for it and this site seemed to be a great place for all things 204.

Thanks!
-Paul
griffshrek
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem model 7

Post by griffshrek »

Hello all

Excellent forum its just what I have been looking for as I am in the process of getting a .204 I am from Sunny South Wales in the UK .

I currently own a .17hmr ,.243 & .308 i use these for vermin ,fox , deer stalking and a bit of outside plinking ,looking to get a .204 Ruger to replace the .17hmr something with a bit more range and punch.

expect plenty of questions especially about reloading

regards....Neil :D
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

pmspaul wrote:Hi. I am from central Ohio. I had been looking for a small caliber varmint rifle for my son to shoot. I happened into a fantastic deal I couldn't pass up on a Savage model 25 all setup and ready to shoot. I will be reloading for it and this site seemed to be a great place for all things 204.

Thanks!
-Paul
You'll find there are several others of us here from that same "neck of the woods".
Welcome aboard, all.
slayer
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS700 Varmint

Post by slayer »

Hi all! G'day mate!
I was looking for some info on the little 204 and found this website.
I live in New Zealand's north island and have only been hunting for a little under 2 years now. There are lots of animals to hunt and compared to my native Germany it is all too easy to get some food on the table here in Aotearoa, the land of the 'Long White Cloud'.
I usually only hunt the introduced possums (marsupials from Australia) as there is a high price on their fur at the moment, about US$105 for one kg - that is about 15 animals.
For this task I have been shooting a CZ 17HMR but wanted something with a bit more distance...
I have just purchased a Remington SPS Varmint in 204 and fitted a Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 30mm, a suppressor and a bipod. I cleaned out our local store by buying ALL their ammo which was 4 boxes of Hornady 32gr and went to the range. I need to practice a bit more to say the least....
I am now looking at reloading as each factory round costs me about US$1.50, which is way too much.
If somebody can redirect me to a proven 'recipe' for a Remington load (projectile, powder, primer, tools) I'll be really grateful.
Keep up the great work here on this website!
Jo