Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
bigdan
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 16.

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by bigdan »

hello fellas, bigdan here from sunny england,well its sunny today at least !. just joined the .204 clan and bought a savage model 16 with suppresor. i bought it mainly for long range crows and rabbits for ranges where the .17hmr runs out of puff.. i was really impressed by the stats for the .204 and although my mates with 22.250,s tried to talk me out of it ,i went ahead and got one. ive only shot one rabbit with it yet and cant wait to start reloading as the factory 32grn remingtons are £26.00 a box (20) !!
i know its a bit forward of me as this is my first post but does anyone else have the 16 and have any pet loads for it (32 or 40 grn ) ?
also is it true that you fellas across the pond can legally take deer with the .204? as here you have to have at least 1700 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle and have a minimum 50grn projectile. the powers that be say that you can now shoot roe and muntjac with a .223 in scotland as long as it produces at least 1000fp, but not over the border in england !! anyway thanks for having me on here, regards dan.
gamekeeperdan
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 knoxx axiom

Post by gamekeeperdan »

Hi everybody,
My name is Dan from England (not bigdan above, just a co-incidence!). I am a 35 year old professional gamekeeper and have recently took the plunge with the .204. I have a Howa 1500 fitted with the axxiom stock and I've also fitted a timney trigger as I didn't think much to the factory one. I also shoot a .22lr, .17hmr, .222 rem and .308win. The .204 was bought purely for fox shooting as my .222 is getting a little long in the tooth now and loosing its accuracy over longer ranges now, but still in use for muntjac deer. I was in love with .204 after a week of messing around taking rabbits and crows, and found it so simple at 300yards and more. My ground isn't really suitable for seriously long range stuff like a lot of you do in the US, but I have so far managed to knock over a brown hare (like a big rabbit) at 440. My goal is the 500 mark but haven't managed it yet after a couple of attempts. Loving getting to learn a new calibre and finding it helpful reading the experience of others on here. Its done the job on half a dozen foxes so far, but for some reason the .222 still makes the odd trip out. Just can't seem to fully let go! Keep up the superb posts guys, hopefully I'll work out how to put a few pics on soon.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Welcome aboard Dan! Good to have another member from across The Pond with us here. :D

Like you, I'm also addicted to the 204R (have four of 'em), but my favorite .223 usually manages to come along also....hard to let go indeed.

Good luck on making that 500 yard bunny or fox shot soon.....we'll be wanting pictures of course. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

abqautoxer
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by abqautoxer »

I'm in the same boat, I have a couple .223s, 17HMR and the 204 and they all seem to make it out with me. Only the .22LR gets left at home for Prairie Dog hunting these days.
Tom
paddy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 btcss .204 ruger

Post by paddy »

g'day ladys and gents, namesa paddy im 18 and i live in victoria australia.
i found the link to this forum on anothe aussie hunting forum and foamed at the mouth when
i saw all the info on the .204ruger.

i am currentley waiting for my gun licence in the mail then i will be buying a savage model 12 BTCSS in .204 and mounting an olivon ranger 6-24X50 ontop and a harras bipod underneath.
i am wanting to hand load my own little bits of death.

i am full on into the long range side of thing so in my gun safe there will only be long range guns. .204ruger, 270WSM and 7mmRUM or 300RUM.
the bunnys better look out when i get my little bang stick running.
i am also right into bowhunting and spearfishing so all my time goes to hunting on land and under water and on my girlfriend.

looking forward to meeting some knowlagable yanks that are as nutty as guns as me :P .
take it easy and happy hunting
sending aussie game to aussie hevan 39gr at a time
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Welcome aboard, Paddy. This is weird: Crocodile Dundee movie is on my TV as we "speak"; at that classic scene where he meets the New York hookers...
Anyway, I've always wanted to make it to Australia and/or New Zealand. Maybe hunt some varmints there, too. Do they shoot Taz. Devils, or are they protected? Hear the mean little suckers are suffering from some disease. How about dingoes? I have a couple of good coyote rifles that are itching for some new action. Bet it's hard to bring a firearm into your country without a lot of red tape; but they seem to be more expensive to buy there than here. You're probably rolling your eyes at these dumb Yank questions. :roll:
Keep us posted on your hunting/shooting adventures!
paddy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 btcss .204 ruger

Post by paddy »

haha nah mate cant shoot tazzie's they are cute little buggers and everyone loves em.
yeah man they angry little bastards, they will bite anything they can haha.

yes alot of people shoot dingo's but its not my thing. im way into the fox shooting
stuff (there is more of em) dingos are to easy to shoot, they will actully come up to you just to see whats happnen.

if you know the right people you can shoot kangaroos, i have been told every yank wants to do that.
if you do head over pm me and we will smack some roos and you may be able to teach me something
sending aussie game to aussie hevan 39gr at a time
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
ArcticFox
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Post by ArcticFox »

Hello from Northern Minnesota. My first love's my wife and two little girls. Then Deer, Grouse, Coyote, P-dogs, and Duck and Goose hunting. I just recently bought a Savage model 12 fvx in the speedy .204, Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14-40 with the Nikoplex I like to keep it simple. I come to learn and share stories. I'd like to get into reloading not to make hot loads, or stuff like that but just ta do it and be good at it. Thats all for now.

One shot, one kill....

ArcticFox
Last edited by ArcticFox on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forums!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
cornstalker
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12

Post by cornstalker »

Signed up here to figger out my 204 affliction.

I see a lot of old names from other boards around here, must be a great place!!

I pretty much hunt everything. My faves are predators, ducks, and mule deer.

Looking forward to seeing the 204 dump a few called predators this year....
NHS

Post by NHS »

Hello All. I haven't posted in a long time, but have been lurking. It is almost coyote hunting time again. I have too many hobbies and not enough time. :P

I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forums!!! Good to have you here!! Enjoy the madness. :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
mkane
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by mkane »

Mike Kane. Retired Operating Engineer Local 3, 35 yrs. in the buisness. Born in Oakland, Ca., 1953. Moved to Cloverdale, Ca. 25yrs. ago. We have a small piece of ground (280 acres) compared to the neighbors. Married to a wonderful wife of 33 yrs. 2 boys grown up and out. The youngest did 3 tours in the mess overseas as a medic with the marines, currently in med school. Oh, and 1 huge dog named Buster, a Neopolitan Mastif. I do quite a bit of predator & pig hunting, out the back door. Great site. Newest rifle's a Savage 25 Classic in .204 ruger ordered yesterday.
abqautoxer
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by abqautoxer »

Welcome to the site, I'm jealous of that land you have. Tell your son thanks, we appreciate our Corpsman dearly.
Tom
mkane
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by mkane »

Took lot's of discipline saving enough money to buy this property. We have lived here going on 22yrs. We also got lucky finding this slice of heaven. Nearest neighbor's 1.7 miles away. Thanks for the welome. If your ever around my neck of the woods give me a ring.