Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Fulk
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by Fulk »

My name is Kyle. I have always went groundhog hunting on and off through the years. But I have been doing a lot more of it in the last couple years since i quit racing. I have been using my dads Winchester Model 70 .243. It shoots great but he never used it much over the years and it is still in great shape. I'm wanting to pick up a .204 for an every day gun and keep the .243 for the windy days. I have my mind made up on one of these savages http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/mode ... HUNTERMAX1 . I already have a Bushnell elite 6500 4.5x30x50 mildot scope and Burris signature zee rings ready to throw on when I get the gun.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

Hey guys!
Most of you all probably recognize me by now but I never actually did this to introduce myself since I joined back in Nov. Anyway, my name is Jeff and I'm from Southwestern PA. I've lived on a farm my whole life and have been into hunting and shooting for as long as I can remember. The only varminting I have done so far is groundhog hunting on the farm. I used to only use a .222 Rem and .243 but I decided I wanted something a bit faster. So I learned about the .204 and here I am. I also wanted this .204 for my PD trip out west in 6/2011 as a gift to myself for graduating med school. So I settled on the Ruger M77 MKII VT. Couldn't get it to group well with any velocity over 3000 so I traded that in for a CZ 527 Varmint in .204. But, along the way I chatted with a bunch of the guys on here about Coopers so I decided to buy a Cooper Model 21 Varminter in .204 as well. Couldn't be happier with this caliber and so far everyone on here has been great as well. Thanks for he info and recommendations!

Jeff
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Well Doc;

Congrats on your rifle and your feat (completing Med-school), thats no small accomplishment. Your CZ Varminter should do pretty well. Of course Coopers do pretty good but even they can be finikey with certain recipes. I've shot some Coopers and if I had to pay MSRP then they would be very difficult to turn away from because for what you get I don't feel they cost all tht much more.

Jim
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Former classic rock musician, left wing drunken doping new-ager. 'Saved by the Great God and Saviour Jesus Christ who loved me and had the blood mashed out of his sinless and holy body to resuce me from my just condemnation. Don't ever believe the TV's definition of "love".

I was raised a gun hater, and converted when I was converted, 30 years ago, LOL!

Some of the seasoned grey-heads at church got me into hunting, shooting, and the real, non-TV version of the wild and the world, and I've been ruined ever since.

My first rifle is my beloved 94 (yes, '94) 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser (that i bought 30 years ago...) that loves to drill tiny groups no matter what I feed it. My son (82nd airborne, Ft Bragg) was obliterating clay pigeons @ 300 yards with it last summer. 85 gr Sierra Varminters! 'Turns the chucks into a bloddy rag WAAAAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

My second rifle is the Savage 12 VLP in .204 Ruger that I bought used 3/2009, and it is responsible for teaching me accurate loading practices. Can anyone relate to THAT???!! Ha Ha Ha HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
Last edited by bow shot on Thu May 13, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yonder
.204 Ruger Guns: M77 MK11 All Weather

Post by yonder »

i'm 68 years old (almost) reti8red 6 years ago, raise cattle, spoil my twin grand kids. i have killed 3 coyotes, they were running beside the tractor as i mowed hay, shot them with a ruger 44 mag i carry on the tractor at all times. i bought a 204ruger. 3/12/10, to reach out and touch the one's that not as dumb, as the ones pacing the tractor. and it was a thrill !!!. i have winchester 22-250, but dont like the muzzle blast!.. i have shot a 204 before at ground hogs what a pleasant experiance. i live in northwest north carolina. and coyotes have becom a real problem. 204 ruger for ever. yonder
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

yonder, welcome to the forum! I love the story about picking off the stupid dogs! :lol: Next time throw a digital camera on the tractor and give us some pics of the action. Gary
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

I just relized today that i never introduced myself . My name is Clint my uncle told me about this site shortly after he bought a 204. i poked around on here for a while before i registered witch wasnt that long ago.
I live in Palmyra IL. Grew up six miles south of here in a town called Hettick.

I am a auto mechanic . hobbies are spending time with kids and wife . Deer hunting, coyote hunting/fox , rabbit, squirl ,fishing and shooting.

Didnt think i would ever care to own a 204 but after looking at ballistics comeparred to a 22-250 more like uncle did all the work and emailed it to me i bought me a cz varmitt.

Look forward to sharing and reading more storys in the future.
Hunt4em
aussie204
.204 Ruger Guns: m77 ruger varmint

Post by aussie204 »

hi, thought i would introduce myself. my name is steve, i live in perth, western australia. been a member for a couple of months but this is my first post (i hate computers). i'm a diesel mechanic, married, no kids yet, have a jack russell called stanley and my life belongs to jesus christ. i do a fair bit of fox shooting, every friday night, we usualy shoot around 400 foxes a year. we use a spot light and shoot from the vehicle, we have taken care of 114 so far this year. my .204 is a ruger varmint with a hogue stock, also have a sako 75 varmint in 22-250. i also love to hunt larger critters like goats, pigs, wild donkeys and horses and camels. we dont really have any dear on this side of australia. i can post some pics if anyone is interested. the load i'm using at the moment is 39gn sierra over 28gn of win748 2870 fps. my most recent purchase was a kimber montana in 25-06, i'm having trouble with copper fouling, need to start again with the run in procedure. i have found this site to be very interesting and uesful, keep up the good work. steve
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Welcome to the forum Steve! We have several members from "Down Under" and we love to hear about your stories with your mates. And remember we love to see pictures so don't forget the camera! Gary
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

Hey fella,
I am new to this new cartridge I just am getting into and am looking forward this exciting new rifle. I live in heartland of this country and am gathering all of my items to get going brass,bullets,powder, dies, I hope to follow the classy guys/gals on this fourm that will be willing to share the knowledge of the .204 class. Just wanted to say hey...
Semper Fi
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

My name is John, and I live in CO. I've always been into hunting and guns. I got into the .204 scene because my dad and uncle have become serious PDog shooters, and I thought I'd get in on the act. So I had a .204 upper built for my AR-15.

I work as a FORD Technician and Ski and Snowboard when not shooting.

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Ruger1
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 LRPV

Post by Ruger1 »

I live west of St Louis Mo about 20 miles. Retired 2 years ago and have been addicted to shooting pd's ever since. I love the .204 and have recently started reloading. I was in Eastern Colorado last week for a 3 day shoot and it was fair mainly because the pups weren't up yet and the winds were!!! Just needed to get out of town for a few days but headed back there May 14th for 5 days and then to SD until 6/8/2010. Sure hope I have my ammo supply figured correctly. I use my Polaris Ranger Crew to get around the dog towns and it's great. Lots of storage and it seems less invasive compared to my truck when we pull in on a town. May be my imagination but if so it's still a bunch of fun getting in and out of places I can't go in the truck.
CountryDog
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Kevlar

Post by CountryDog »

Hey Y'all. My name is Rick (63 years old). I live on a 118 acre farm in rural Georgia. I do some deer hunting and fishing and even went on a successful mountain lion hunt in Colorado in 1989. I have been using a .22 mag as my go to rifle around the farm. However, I wanted to see if there was a better choice caliber. I thought I would be going up in caliber until I read and read about the .204. I was amazed with the ballistics of this round. I have a .22-250 but was not happy with it as my go to gun. So I ordered a CZ 527 with the Kevlar stock. I have a Leupold 6.5-20X40 which will be mounted on CZ 30mm rings. I am going to use a Turner All Weather Military sling which I really like. I love the idea of long distance shooting but most of mine has been 200 yards max. Maybe some day I will go on a pdog shoot. However, in todays economy it seems a bit extravagant. I am a newly wed of 4 years, with 35 chickens, three dogs, one cat and two rabbits. Life has been good to me and I thank the Lord every day for his blessings and his mercy. God Bless Y'all and happy shootin'. P.S. Glad to find this site!!
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Welcome CountryDog. You are fortunate to have a good woman, a hunk of land, and, of course: a .204. I'm interested in that same Kevlar CZ for "everyday backup" for my Cooper in that cal. Please Keep us posted on that rifle's performance; I have a 527 American .221FB (Calhoon modified bolt and Warne med. rings) and love it.
abqautoxer
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by abqautoxer »

Hey everyone my name is Tom. I'm relatively new to prairie dog hunting though I had been wanting to try it for years. I finally took a trip here in New Mexico as an escape from my wife's family reunion and instantly got hooked. I bought a .17HMR and needed something with more range and found this site doing research on my next caliber. I just purchased a CZ 527 thanks to this and a couple other sites and will get to try it out this weekend. I'm lucky to have 2 great sites and one pretty good site within 3 hours of my house and I've now recruited a few friends who enjoyed a trip out with me last time. I'm not really new to long distance shooting as I was a rifle coach in the military but its been a few years and I figure I'll enjoy the challenge. As a huge plus my retired dad is as interested as I am and will be trying my .17HMR for the first time this weekend. If I hook him as bad as I suspect, I see an HDR in my future for him to shoot. Thanks in advance for everything I've read here and look forward to learning more.

EDIT: I should probably explain the forum name. ABQautoxer is short for Albuquerque Autocrosser. That's where I live and my other passion, racing in autocross with the SCCA and PCA. I use it because generally its never taken and if you ever see that name on another forum, you'll know its me.

Tom