Look What I Got

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Dalgo
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 in .204 Ruger

Re: Look What I Got

Post by Dalgo »

Thanks, Hornet. I sure will. Can't wait to get it back!

Pierre
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

Fun(ny) story. My hunting partner calls me Tues night. I had told him I would take Thurs and Fri off to hunt and shoot. Wed morning he goes down to his reloading bench to load up some .22-250 (we had agreed that Thurs AM we would hunt chucks, and in the PM hunt turkeys) ammo. He gets down to the room early in the AM without his glasses. He looks at his RCBS Rockchucker, and decides he needs the proper shell holder. So he proceeds to try to remove the shell holder on it. It wouldn't budge. Ultimately he decided he needs a hammer to punch it out. Turns out, there was no shell holder in it, so he hammered the ram until he rendered it useless. Feeling dumb, and bad, he goes and buys a Redding T-7 (turret?) press, calls me up and asks me if I want a free Rockchucker. Don't ask me twice! I now have a Rockchucker, and all I need to do is call RCBS and request they send me a new ram, and I'm in business. Been reloading .45-70's on a friend's press and his dies. Now, I'm on my way!. Will start setting up my bench, and will get .204 dies and be in business! The hunt? Well, Thurs AM we set up in our favorite spot (the farmer who's land we hunt) said the field was nice and mowed, and that he had seen chucks in that field. Nothing. Nada. Not a single chuck. So, after lunch we went to another part of the farm (he has over 300 acres) where we had taken turkeys before, and he reported seeing some the day before. We only had our shotguns (PA does not allow you to carry single bullet weapons while turkey hunting in the Spring. Nothing. Nada. We're behind a mesh blind. While talking in low tones, my partner grabs my arm, and not five feet away crosses this nice sized chuck in front of us. We're too dumbfounded to react! Needless to say, we didn't shoot. When we left our spot, just pulling onto the dirt road, three does cross in front of our vehicle and stop. What a show! When they finally move on, a bit further down, a skunk is walking parallel in a field about 20 yds from the road. My pard stops and starts barking at it and making other noises, and each time the skunk raises its back feet and tail as if ready to spray us at any given moment. Another show! Kinda gives another meaning to getting skunked, though.
22 HORNET
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by 22 HORNET »

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR FRIEND NEEDS TO GET HIS EYES CHECK. DID HE EVER GET ANY 22-250 LOADED.
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

Hornet, eyes, or brain? Lol. That's okay, I snagged a good press in the process. Yes, he did get quite a few loaded. He is using a Weatherby/Howa rifle. He's using Lapua brass and gets decent groups - not outstanding like your group you posted. I think I got as good as he's getting w/my untuned, 4 1/2 lb trigger using factory ammo. I think my #1/.204 has real potential, if I'm up to it (controlling my heartbeat). A higher magnification scope will definitely make a difference. The red dot of the center of the bull gets almost totally blocked out by the crosshairs of my scope at 9X. Obviously a big game scope. Still, even with that I can do better. So, we'll see how I do with it, when I pick up my gun this weekend. Can't wait to start reloading for it, though.
22 HORNET

Post by 22 HORNET »

Let me know how it shoots with the trigger job.
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

I sure will Hornet. Thanks
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

22 HORNET wrote:6X18 BUCKMASTER SCOPE
+1 I really like mine and so does my Rem xr-100 :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

Anybody tried Vortex scopes? If so, opinions?
22 HORNET

Post by 22 HORNET »

they say they are good scope for the money.
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

Vortex scopes seem to get pricey, invading the Zeiss Conquest territory. Are there optics that good. I've heard their glass is made by the same company in Japan that is making the glass used in the Nightforce scopes. Anybody have any experience with them?
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

The Vortex scope I ran accross, and was playing with, was around the $700 mark, 6X24 (30-mm tube), and had a few bells and whistles (like being illuminated) that I don't need. The ones without the external target turret and not illuminated seem to be around 5 to 6 hundred. I think they call it their BDC version. I had a Nikon Monarch on my .223. It was a 3X12. I didn't like it. The other day at the gun shop, I saw a Buckmaster 6X18, and I really liked it. That may end up being my scope of choice. Just wondered about Vortex.
22 HORNET

Post by 22 HORNET »

DALGO, i GOT A 6X18 buckmaster on my 204 i think they are good scopes for the money. I would check Midways price before i got it out of a gun shop. HORNET
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

22 Hornet, I know you have it on your gun. That's why I went to the gun shop to try it and see for myself. I was very impressed with it. If I get one, I will definitely shop around for a good price, and Midway is high on my list. Thanks,
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

What surprised me was that for my eye, I really liked the 6X18 Buckmaster I played with more than I liked the 3X12 Monarch I had. It seemed lighter and sharper. On the other hand, The 3X9 Buckmaster that I have on a gun appears to be the equal of some of the Vari X-3's I have. Go figure.
22 HORNET

Post by 22 HORNET »

How is that gun shooting with that trigger job. HORNET