OFF TOPIC...What 17 HMR??

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

DoubleA
I'll take the one on the left :D SWEET LOOKIN RIFLE :!:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

sniper2o4

Post by sniper2o4 »

savage rookie- I have absolutley no idea what you just said except for barrel and receiver, but it sounded good! Don't even try to explain, I won't understand. But thanks for the info anyway!
sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I saw one of the Anschutz .17's at the last gun show I was at...I never got close because I knew I would buy it as soon as I picked it up! However, I'm regretting my decision now. :mad:
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

SW, I held one at my local gun shop but resisted because of the price. Got thinking about it later (note next day) and went back but it was gone! :eek: The sign in the shop says: "If you don't buy me today, I may not be here tomorrow" how true! :( Next time I won't hesitate. :alright: Gary
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I knew if I picked it up, it would be going home with me and at the time I was working on picking out a .204. I love my model 64 .22 that I have and I'm pretty sure when I pick up a .17 it'll have to be the Anschutz. I know they are a lot of money and you can get a sweet shooting savage or marlin for far less money but I love the out of the box smoothness and feel of the Anschutz. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list! The other model I'm interested in is the new Weatherby that has the Anschutz model 64 action. You get the classy Weatherby look with the sweet Anschutz action! :hail:
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
adam

Post by adam »

I toohave an anschutz 1517 and until about 12 months ago regularly enjoyed sub .5 groups at 100yds. However and a frind of mine also, we have suffered accuracy problems with groups more than an inch at 100yds and the common denominator in all of the testing we have done has been split cases from both hornady and remington cartriges. Any one else been suffering this same problem? I would really like to know because the gun is worthless to me unless i can sort it out
stevecrea

17 HMR

Post by stevecrea »

I have a CZ 452 in 17 HMR and love it. I did have to spend a little money at the gunsmith with the trigger, but it is lovely now. I stoned a big bull rockchuck at a range 160 yards recently, one at an estimated 130 on Friday afternoon, many jacks out to 200 or so, and many squirrels out to 225 or so. It is a deadly little beast when there is not too much wind, and the hit is in a vital area.

My friend has a 17 HMR in the Marlin heavy barrel, and he loves it. Only about $200 at Walmart. The "Sweet 17" scopes that are available for the 17 HMR make adjusting for range very easy. The clarity, focus, brightness, etc. leave much to be desired, but for about $100 they shoot very well. If you want better quality optical features, do not buy the cheapies!!

My friend with the Marlin stoned a coyote at 120 yards using the 20 gr XT hollow point. The bullet went the full length of the varmint and exited.

The accuracy of the 17 cartridge is very good, and the quality of the ammo by Hornady, Federal, CCI, and others seems to be very good.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")