Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
EJ

Howdy From Texas

Post by EJ »

Howdy folks,

I have been reading for a little while and decided to sign on finally. My main "hobby" is hog hunting with dogs and a knife. I hunt deer also when I have time. Earlier this year I went Coyote calling with a buddy and shot a BIG one with my 22 Hornet, well even with a solid hit he ran off and I didn't find him :(

Thus I set out to get me a REAL "Varmint" rig .... I bought this Ruger M77 in 204 Ruger a few weeks ago and put this Simmons Aetec 4 x 14 on it today ... after a sight in I hope I will have some Varmint stories to share with you guys

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Welcome aboard EJ. We hope you have some stories to share with us also. We drool over pictures.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Erl

Post by Erl »

My name is Erl: 70 years young, four great children, four grandchildren, one great hunting dog, no wife. Nothing against women, heck I have had three wives. Hunted all my life and made sure my sons enjoyed hunting as well as my grandsons. Just started varmint hunting last year and it is a blast. Lots of compition shooting with rifle and shoot about 10,000 rounds per year trap shooting. Spent my working career in newspapers and absolutely love retirement.
:D Erl
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

:D Hey All! I am another newbie. Just found the site this morn and can't stop reading on it! Just wanted to say Hey and intro myself as I will surely be spending too much time here in the future. One quick question tho, I have not seen any posts/info on my particular gun (on the way in the mail). Does anyone have any experience/info on the DPMS Panther LR-204? Im kinda selfish, hoping Im the first one here to get one. I cant wait to shoot this KILLER!!! Post often! I'll be back soon. C YA. -JASON
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
dogcaller

Post by dogcaller »

Another newbee, this is an awesome site. I'm kinda in the recooping stages as I've been laid up for three months with a broken neck looking at this new Savage I bought wondering when I'm finally going to get to shoot it?! I've had a couple of buddies get it on paper for me but now I'm ready to get serious and this looks like the site that can help me. I'm in my early 40's and have been calling dogs for about 18 years now. When given the choice to go on a big game hunt or a coyote hunt it will be the coyote hunt hands down. I also trap, hunt Deer, Coons, etc. as long as I'm outside. This season has been real trying as all I've been able to do is read about it and hear about it from the buddies, but today I shot the .204 for the first time using the sled with a couple of bags of shot on it. Look forward to getting to know some or all of you.

dogcaller (Tim)
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Dogcaller, Welcome. Hope you are able to get out soon. You will love the 204. I'm going to roll out for a few hours this AM and see if anyone wants to sing. 27 degree this AM and a little snow day before yesterday. Hope they are looking for a meal.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome Tim. Good to hear your healing well enough to at least shoot with the sled. Be Careful in your healing process. Wouldn't want to ruin any of the Docs good work. We look forward to your input & those doggie pics. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

this weather sux

Post by Rugerdogdog »

:( Lucky you Whistlepig! At 4:47 this morn it was 0 degrees here! I like to think I'm not a huge wuss when it comes to weather but this is crap. Now its 11am and its WAY up to 25!!! Two days ago it was -15 at night, windchill the next day at noon was -10. I know, I know...STOP WHINING! HAHA Maybe I need to move up north!!! But hey, my gun is spose to ship on MONDAY!!!
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Greetings :D

I moved to PA this summer, and was happy to discover that I am surrounded by groundhogs. I heard a few coyotes howling this fall, so I picked up a Ruger 77 in .204, put a Leupold 4x12 on it, and got permission from the local farmers to shoot. Never called coyotes before, but shot lots of 'chucks in my earlier years.

I'm 61, somewhat retired, and looking forward to having lots of time next year to work on the local varmint population.

Thanks for the wealth of information on this site.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Hi Dave. Welcome to the Forum!! I'm glad you have plenty of 204 targets around you. Just remember to leave some here & there for next year. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Hi all,
I live in Woodland Park Colorado, just bought my New England Arms handy rifle and only shot it a couple of time so don’t have it shoot right were I want it yet. Hope to find some good hunting areas for yotes.
divertexas

Post by divertexas »

Hello all, My name is Russell and I'm 47 years old.
Been married for the past 28 years.... to the same woman!
I have no children, but I do have nephews, neices and God-children.
I enjoy hunting of all types, Dad started me out hunting squirrels when I was 7 years old and things progressed from there.
I'm an A/C, heating and refrigeration contractor by trade. I own a company in Austin, Tx.
Hobbies include: building custom rifles, building custom knives, hunting, target shooting, scuba diving and travel.
I hope to contribute my reloading and shooting experiences with everyone on this board.
Maid Marian

Post by Maid Marian »

Hello everyone, my name is Marian, 39 and holding. :wink:
I started off collecting knives then met my husband who introduced me to the shooting world. Let's just say he created a monster. A while back he asked me to research the .204 Ruger, well needless to say here I am.

See ya'll in the threads. :D
MrPillow

Post by MrPillow »

Figured I might as well post in this thread, better late than never.

The names Byron, currently 15 and couting. Been shooting since my dad put me behind a .25-06 around the age of 10, and fell in love with it. I'd like to get into it alot more seriously than I have, but my income is rather limited :lol:
cmidkiff

Obligitory FNG post

Post by cmidkiff »

Hi all. Been poking around here for 6 months, figured it was time to register :)

I've been shooting for years, mainly pistols, revolvers, and AR type rifles. Picked up my first 'bench' type rifle last summer, a savage 93 in .17hmr, and just fell in love with shooting it. Started looking at the .204 ruger about 6 months ago. Seemed like a perfect way to get started with some longer range target shooting, without getting into larger calibers. I like big calibers from a revolver, but have always preferred smaller calibers in rifles.

Just picked up a Savage 12fv, stuck it in a laminate stock (factory BVSS type stock), and I'm waiting on a Weaver KT15 scope for it. Will be using Weaver bases, and (most likely) Burris rings.

Thanks for all the info :)