Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Re: Infantry Newb

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Insignificanc3 wrote:Hi everyone. My name is Jeremy, I am 20 years old, and possibly the youngest of the bunch here.
I think I am the youngest on here(15), anyway, good to have you here Jeremy. and welcome to the world of varmint shooting! :D
Skypilotbc

Post by Skypilotbc »

Welcome Jeremy!! :D
Good to have ya here and thanks in advance for your service to our Country. 11C myself and SSG(P) when I was discharged in 1987. You will LUV Benning--especially when you "Turn Blue" 8) Pay attention to detail and you will do well. Good choice in rifle cartridge also. Best wishes.
Bob (The Skypilot)
Always lookin' for something to blow a hole in!
Statistics, in the main, are used by rascals to impress fools.
Bob
VHA# 64366
Insignificanc3

Turn blue?

Post by Insignificanc3 »

LOL. I am gonna have to ask a retired drill Sargeant what that means on tuesday. My recruiter put me in for a quarterly special forces recruitment, so I may get into that. I have too much in life that I want to accomplish though. I love sportbikes, and one day wanted to make my own custom bike designs that were unthinkable. I also love firearms, and want to design a couple new ones for this new century we are living in.

Oh, since it's Army related, I have to share it. There is a store near the recruitment office, a small health conscious grocery store. I had to get change for the bus(no car :( ) so I got a Stewarts Soda that came in a glass brown bottle(Ginger Beer, good stuff).

I was sitting in the rain unfortunately, and up pulls a city cop, and I just knew he was going to say something. So I turn deliberately about face, and smile at him. He asks if that's beer and I said no. I just mentioned it as an appreciation to the officer for being concerned enough to ask.

X company Out.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Another 11C1P here, 81mm's, 82nd Airborne '77-'81, lots of fun and frolic on old Ft. Bragg. I hope you like camping, I bet we spent fully a quarter of our time in the field on Bragg.......... It was fun, but I ain't sleeping on the ground any more! :wink: I am unfamiliar with 11Xray, don't know what that is, but I know way more about 11Cs than I care to remember ;) . Fun while it lasted, though!
This is the friendliest crowd on the Internet, if you have questions or comments, feel free to let 'em fly, someone will be glad to help out.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Insignificanc3

11x-ray

Post by Insignificanc3 »

I say X company, but it's not really an MOS. This is a little tidbit of info from an army info. website.

"11X isn't actually an MOS (military cccupation speciality). Instead, it's an enlistment option. The Army does not offer a guaranteed job for any specific infantry MOS. Instead, one must enlist as an 11X. The "X" means that the specific job is not known at the time of enlistment.

Individuals who enlist under the 11X Infantry option attend Infantry OSUT (One Station Unit Training), which combines Army Basic Training and Infantry AIT (Advanced Individual Training), all in one 17-week course. During that training, recruits are allowed to list their specific infantry job preferences, but ultimate assignments are determined by the needs of the Army. Upon graduation from OSUT, recruits are assigned to either 11B: Infantryman or 11C: Indirect Fire Infantryman."

*Information provided by http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/mos/infantry/11x.html *

Hope this helps. :camper:
BIGREDD

Post by BIGREDD »

Well I just read 17 pages of introductions and I even found a couple of hunters I recognize from other sites. Its nice to see an international mix of like minded firearms enthusiasts.
I am 50 years young and like most of you spent much of that time hunting and shooting. I was married breifly and had a son and daughter that I raised myself when the wife got crazy and we had to vote her off the island. Our last conversation was about whether I loved hunting more than her... no contest! I retired at 38 and took up hunting full time, I work part time at the local gunstore and am a Firearms Instructor/Examiner here in Ontario. I also do predator and nuisance animal control professionally.
I belong to a syndicate of landowners that hunt and manage our properties for Whitetail deer, Turkeys, Waterfowl and Upland game. Successful management means coyote control...hence my penchant for effective varmint rifles. The two smallest calibers I currently own other than rimfire are a 25wssm and a .243.
I am excited about my new .204 barrel for the Encore Pro-Hunter... and learning all about this excellent caliber from you fellas.
Thanx for letting me play in your sandbox.
Red.
NONQUOM NON PARATUS
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

Hi all
I am 50 live about 20 miles south of the us/canada border in Vermont.
Like the rest of you i am quickly becoming enamoured with this lil 204.
I am still lurking a bit trying to make up my mind which rifle to buy .
Leaning toward an encore..But still undecided..
Hunting and fishing since i was old enough to do so. whitetail (270)
grouse(28ga) ducks/geese(12 cannon) varmonts (22 hornet..204 soon)
Hunt chucks, crows I live in a swamp and have some problems with beavers
(Renewable resource). 35 lbs coyotes are little guys here.
Also enjoy playing music(guitar mandolin and bass)
Married 6 years yesterday to the most wonderfull woman on this great earth. 2 cats a local fish tank and one chicken (don't ask)
Am learning a bunch on this forum thanks for the posts.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Varmonter-- Good to have you here. Can't wait to see which one you pick up. Good Luck with it & show us some pictures. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
fireball10x

Post by fireball10x »

I'm Ron Been a gunsmith since I was 12 Love every gun but some better built many custom rifles and do great stock work checkering and inlays back when that was the thing i still like it but everybody wants kevlar oh well i still like wood now there starting to realize wood dampens better
Glen

Post by Glen »

Good to have you & your expertise here fireball!!

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Misty

Post by Misty »

Well.....I'm 42 years young....raised in Montana and Washington State....where I currently call home.

I'm retired AF EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) and currently work in the civilian sector cleaning up former artillery and bombing ranges of unexploded bombs, rockets, projectiles, grenades, and whatever else the defense department could manufacture back in the day.

My job has taken me to the Middle East "Spit on Ground"....East to West.....and North to South across the good ole U.S. of A. I'm currently in Cheyenne Wy on a great gig...been her since March and plan on leaving in November.

This .204 is my first firearm I've owned. I've read much about it and decided that it was the round that was going to take over the "varminting" world!

If I'm not Bowhunting, I'm flyfishing...if I'm not not flyfishing I'm golfing...if there's a P dog town nearby I'll get down in the prone and take no mercy.

It's a great sport....cant wait to take a 'yote with the lil .20.

Good to be here and soak in some of this knowledge that comes from all of you folks.

See you on the Forum!
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Welcome aboard Misty. There are a few of us ex-military types on this 204um. There are even a few of us shooting a Remington, even though this forum seems to lean towards Savages and such. Good to have you here. Got any pictures of your rifle???
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Misty

Post by Misty »

Thanks Skipper......Yeah, 2 of my buddies shoot Savages...maybe thats what steered me toward Remington. It's funny, I out shoot them on the range and in the field! No pics yet of Misty.....the next time out (Labor Day weekend) west of Billings. 'Til then....Aim small....miss small
Handloader

Post by Handloader »

Recently I bought a LVSF and have used the resources of this site for much of my load development. Thanks for all the information!

My main interest is in varmint calling and I started way back in the early 1960s. This past month my coyote total went to 1,612. In the process I have used a lot of different rifles chambered for most of the popular varmint rounds. On coyotes the 220 Swift has been my mainstay.

I have called in all the southwestern states. Currently I live in Phoenix. The most productive calling has been New Mexico and Nevada. The 204 has been less than satisfactory, so far, with coyotes, although I have only shot seven with it.

As a prairie dogger, the 204 has few peers and I am impressed enough to order up a second 204 (Cooper) to take on future trips.

My daily labor is at a small little firearms and accessory store that specializes in varmint calling, big game rifles and handguns. Working there is similar to being an alcoholic working at a liquor store! But, we get to hear about many customer's experiences with a range of firearms and accessories.

I look forward to visiting this forum often and keeping informed on the results others are having with their 204s.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum Handloader!! We're glad to be of help. :wink:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen