Look What I Got

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Dalgo
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 in .204 Ruger

Re: Look What I Got

Post by Dalgo »

Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

Wow, that was almost painful. I have to learn to read directions properly, lol. Anyway, got the picture up finally. Now, I'm going on a hunt for a skinny cleaning rod, brushes, and some ammo. Going to start w/Hornady 40gr V-MAX. Will post results.

Dalgo
22 HORNET
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by 22 HORNET »

good looking gun post what load you start with and i will do the same. I'm going to shoot mine first of the week. I am starting with BLC-2 29.7 grs thanks HORNET
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

Hornet, not going to load for it just yet. Am starting w/factory Hornady 40gr V-MAX. Probably start loading for it later this summer. Somehow the thought of trying to fit those itty-bitty bullets into a case.... I tried to bore sight the gun off my gun vise by sighting down the barrel to then get the scope aligned, but could hardly see down that tiny hole. So I took it to the gun shop and stuck a laser in it and did it that way. Will shoot it this afternoon. The 3X9 scope will work for a while, but I know that by the end of the summer I will have to sport for a 4.5X14 of some kind. I do believe that load development is definitely in order. What bullets are you going to feed it? The 35gr VLD's look interesting, but in the end, it will be what the gun likes best. Cheers,

Pierre
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

For factory ammo try Fiocchi. As a bonus, they are cheaper & very accurate in my rifle. They use vmax.
K = ½mv2
22 HORNET

Post by 22 HORNET »

I'm going to shoot 39 gr. Sierra Blitzking for now. Post how you gun shoots the Hornady 40 gr bullets. thanks HORNET
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

Sure will Hornet. Bodel, I'll try the Fiocchi's, too, unless the factory Hornady's prove to be the 'one' right out of the box (one should be so lucky!). I hear the 39 gr BKs are really accurate. Will definitely try those when I start reloading for it. Oh, I did find a Hoppe's steel .17 cal. rod for it. It's a 3-piece. Have to check Cabela's, Bass Pro, Brownell's, or Midway for a quality one-piece rod. Did also get some brushes and jags, so I feel I have something to start with. I'll post this evening with how the session turned out today.

Pierre
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

i went out today and shot my new toy. Here is a representative group at 100yds w/factory Hornady V-MAX 40gr:

[img][IMG]http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w40 ... p_5612.jpg[/img]/img]

I think the trigger is a little heavy, although it is crisp. Going to have to work on it. Also, need to get more magnification in the scope. Cheers,

Pierre
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

[img][IMG]http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w40 ... p_5612.jpg[/img][/img]

"Submit your post and you are done!" I guess not! Oh well.

Anyway, really enjoyed shooting the number 1. Nice not to have any recoil. Like I mentioned, the trigger is very crisp, but a little heavy. Going to have it lightened a tad. May have had a little paralax, so an AO will be a help. Less than an inch group at 100yds is not too bad with the set-up. Need to experiment more. Being that it is the first outing, and have less than 2 boxes through it. Will be back at it next weekend.

Pierre
Last edited by Dalgo on Sun May 06, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 HORNET

Post by 22 HORNET »

TELL ME HOW TO OPEN THE LINK. CAN'T GET IT TO OPEN. HORNET
Last edited by 22 HORNET on Tue May 08, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

The previous one just popped up. Will try again.

Pierre
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

Now it popped up!. Representative group. Not wild about it, but for now acceptable. Will be back this coming weekend trying to improve those groups. Maybe a little paralax on the scope (maybe operator could steady breathing and heartbeat better).

Pierre
Last edited by Dalgo on Sun May 06, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 HORNET

Post by 22 HORNET »

thats good for the first time out with your 204. HORNET
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

Thanks, Hornet, but even though it's a #1-B, and it has some heft to it (8 plus lbs), I think I can improve on that. May need to lighten trigger, and reloading will definitely improve groups. As you say, "first time out." Patience. I need to be patient. The groups will come, lol.

Pierre
22 HORNET

Post by 22 HORNET »

I'M going to shoot mine tomorow i will let know know how it does. stay in touch thanks. HORNET