im buying a new gun help!!!!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
leeloader
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

Re: im buying a new gun help!!!!

Post by leeloader »

i agree that why @@@@ this stupid forum its full of know it alls that think they are going to change this world. ill be the newest member to leave.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Hey Leeloader, do not leave due to one person posting re. donations/support. All of us shoot various rifles/handguns, etc. It is ours and my choice what, where and why we purchase. The main thing is to share information, loads and pictures, when possible of the groups, etc that we get.. Bill K
leeloader

Post by leeloader »

people assume im someone im not i joined to become a better shooter, reloader and to teach my daughters about the shooting sports because its a dying sport but some people are too worried about dumb stuff that they wish they could control but they cant! once again i ask a ? and look what it turns into
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Redleg, to answer your question, no, "that man" no longer has any ownership in the company. They parted ways after said flap occurred. I really don't know/don't care what side he walks on. He helped develop a heck of a line of firearms. Then he made a personal choice that created a rub between himself, the company and the customers. When it came to light, it was decided that it would be better for Cooper AND D.C. to go seperate directions. Sounds like it was a very grown-up way to handle it in a democratic nation. Each of us have the same freedom to decide how we will react to that. For me, I have no problem with what happened/how it was handled. He and the company both held him accountable for his actions. I wish him and the company the best. I'm just thankfull that I still have the option of buying another Cooper. Does anyone really think they agree with the politics of every employee of every American firearm manufacturer?

Please, Rick, accept my apology for my post. You are absolutely right about this being water way past the bridge!
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

LeeLoader, you did mention a custom rifle but my Thompson Center Precision Hunter is a 1:10 and shoots 39 and 32 SBK into itty bitty groups. It's a pretty decent factory rifle, in my opinon. I have one in .243 and it's a tack driver also. Worth checking out.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Leeloader, in the time it took me type the above reply five others jumped in to show support. Give this site a chance. I truly believe that you will find less ego and BS here than just about anywhere else. Plus, a wealth of knowledge and experience that is openly shared. I hope my post was not viewed as throwing gas on the fire. Let us know what you end up getting and we will give you all kinds of advice on outfitting it (please view this as my poor attempt at humor)!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

RAMOS wrote:Leeloader, in the time it took me type the above reply five others jumped in to show support. Give this site a chance. I truly believe that you will find less ego and BS here than just about anywhere else. Plus, a wealth of knowledge and experience that is openly shared. I hope my post was not viewed as throwing gas on the fire. Let us know what you end up getting and we will give you all kinds of advice on outfitting it (please view this as my poor attempt at humor)!
This is so true. You will not find any better support then this site. Many others are really full of BS and terrible comments, by some. I agree keep us posted, have fun with those kids, we really need to interest our young ones, as, as you say we are a dying breed, with the way politicians are going. I to want to know what you purchase, how it works and what you think ( I am a snoopy sort). So keep posting and in touch with those of us that do care. Bill K :D
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

leeloader wrote:i agree that why @@@@ this stupid forum its full of know it alls that think they are going to change this world. ill be the newest member to leave.
Seriously? This is a great forum with a lot of friendly and helpful members. You've already received some helpful suggestions in this very thread. If you're threatening to leave because of one post or topic, you will never find an internet forum that pleases you. That probably sounds harsh (I don't mean for it to), but it is absolutely reality.

The Dan Cooper issue has been beaten to death since 2008 and, like Rick and others, I'm tired of hearing about it. I probably should have ignored the original post on the topic, and for that distraction in your thread I am sorry. However, the post was not accurate and I didn't feel that it was fair to leave something like that hanging out there in case it misled others.

Now, back to suitable rifles that meet your needs...
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

leeloader wrote:i just want a good shooting rifle
You can't go wrong with a Cooper as far as out of the box accuracy. They're a tad pricey and dependent on your predicament they can be a good buy. Paying retail plus glass, plan on spending $2000.00 or more. After looking at barrels with a bore scope I would give a CZ a look. Theirs was just as clean as my Krieger and Obermeyers.

If you have a competent and reasonable smith around the factory Remington’s, Savage’s, Tikkia’s and others shoot pretty darn good right out of the box. Some will need a bedding and free floating job, others won't. I bed, free float and crown everything and it's very reasonable. The $$$ I save over a Cooper goes into a scope.

For me I like Remington's primarily because of aftermarket support and the bolt throw angle. But others make a good product too and the vast majority shoot pretty darn good right out of the box. CZs shoot good but IMO their bolt throw is too high and sometimes runs into a bolt handle/scope interference. The factory fixed mine for free (minus shipping to send it in). Their set trigger is nice when shooting from a bench.

No matter which model you choose, IMO, your best accuracy will come from reloading, unless you hit the perfect node with factory ammo, and if you do, note the LOT # and buy all of it you can afford.

HTH
leeloader

Post by leeloader »

its good to hear that im not the only tired of bs from other sites im looking at coopers right now not bad for the price what about remington never owned one jim but do notice that alot do i shot one in 30-06 but was not impressed
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

Maybe Cooper can give us a group discount!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

leeloader: This all depends on what you expect from a factory stock rifle. Are you willing to do some trigger adjusting, free float the barrel, bed the stock properly? Do you shoot factory loads or are you a handloader? What degree of accuracy do you expect?

I've got or had about every brand of rifle made in the last 75 years, varmint, sporter, military, big-bore, small-bores. Remingtons, Winchesters, CZs, Sako, Kimber, Sako, ...... a passle of 'em. They all have their attributes and flaws. Some come from the factory ready to clean and shoot....others need alot of work to give what I call acceptable accuracy, but most need some after-factory work to bring out the full potential of the rifle......any rifle.

If you're not willing to either farm out the work needed or do it yourself, you'll never receive the full accuracy potential of the given weapon. The other choice is to pay a premium price for a rifle already worked on so to speak, or have a custom comissioned. Either way the price will be more, but you'll get more in the long run.....the choice is up to you.

What I'm saying is that you can get decent accuracy from a Savage right out of the box for a reasonable sum. On the other hand, if your tastes run a bit more sophisticated and you prefer better fit, finish, and quality workmanship and materials, then the price tag will be higher; you get what you pay for, and there's something for everyone out there.

I suppose the big question is.....how much do you want/are able to spend? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

leeloader

Post by leeloader »

im looking for a 204 to shoot dead on at max ranges for the caliber. im also a handloader but a beginner. mostly trying to say that i want 204 that i can shoot to the limit because ive already got a savage i can shot 200 - 300 yards
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Rick in Oregon wrote:[I suppose the big question is.....how much do you want/are able to spend? :chin:
Without knowing this, not much any of us can help you with, buddy. Also, you say you already "got a Savage"....... but you don't mention what it is......guess I'm confused. Maybe others can help.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RedLeg
.204 Ruger Guns: Varmint 18"

Post by RedLeg »

I did not anticipate the firestorm that my post would create. I also learned that the Dan Cooper issue has been beaten to death. I worded my comment wrong, in the wrong topic. My concern is more about the Fast n Furious gun running and 2nd Amendment Rights. Moreover, all of our Rights and Freedoms.
I apologize to anyone that has been offended.
1st ID Big Red One
ImageImage