20VT arrived

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ab_bentley
.204 Ruger Guns: 20VT, VTT, 20-222, 20 Thunderbolt, 20PPC

Re: 20VT arrived

Post by ab_bentley »

Rick in Oregon wrote:bowshot: Over on Saubier, ab Bently is showing loads using AA2200 and 32's getting 3,900 fps and over! Haven't tried that powder yet, but those velocities are in the realm of the 204R. :D
I actually hit over 4000fps with a 34gr bullet. That 2200 was amazing, again I formed cases from LC'09 brass. The Remington couldn't handle the pressures, I was ripping rims off and having to tap the cases out with the cleaning rod. Adam
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Maybe I missed something or a post, but the velocity is great, but how is accuracy ? Especially with pressure signs like that. Do you have forming dies or form the LC cases via the size die minus decapper ? Bill K
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

uh oh.. time to get me one :roll: !!!

The reason I want one is... oh yeah.. I don't need a reason!!!
ab_bentley
.204 Ruger Guns: 20VT, VTT, 20-222, 20 Thunderbolt, 20PPC

Post by ab_bentley »

Bill K wrote:Maybe I missed something or a post, but the velocity is great, but how is accuracy ? Especially with pressure signs like that. Do you have forming dies or form the LC cases via the size die minus decapper ? Bill K
Accuracy was good, .5" or so. I was using a 6x scope though. At 400yds I could hit a 4" swinger everytime. The pressure was fine, I was using CCI 450 primers and had nice primers after firing.
I fired once case 12x with the 21gr load and it still has a tight pocket. The LC brass was reformed using a 221FB FL die, followed by a 17M4 #1 Form die, trimmed, expanded, trimmed, neck turned to .227", annealed.
This is just another way to skin the cat, I was not satisfied with the quality of the 221/ 17 Fireball brass. Clearly it shows that another choice in 20VT brass is needed. If you're happy with the 3700-3800fps max with the current stuff good on you. I know I am not, therefore forming brass is my way of dealing with it. The heavier brass is clearly showing the true capability of the 20VT, if I can hit 4000fps then the 20VT just went into a new league. Also there is more room in the case and I know I could go at least .5gr more without issue. Adam

Recap: 4000fps, 34gr CRT bullet, AA2200, all from a 22" barrel.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have heard that Remington dropped the 17 Fireball from their line up this year. I do not think that they will be jumping in on the 20 Fireball game soon. Rick, please keep us posted on the availability of the 221 Fireball brass from Nosler. I too will not go after sage rats or prairie dogs without the great little VarTarg in waiting of red mist. I admit that the VarTarg is the favored round out to 400 yards on little critters. Forgive me for my discretion, for I have sinned. :eek: :eek:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sidewinderwa wrote:I admit that the VarTarg is the favored round out to 400 yards on little critters. Forgive me for my discretion, for I have sinned. :eek: :eek:
No worries Sidewinder.....as long as there's a 204 in the rig or on the bench with you, you have NOT committed a "caliber sin". We'd forgive you anyway. ;) I've been known to have CF .17's, .20's, .22's, and even the dreaded 6mm's with me on a single rat safari. This sickness is widespread in these parts. :lol:

No worries on that Nosler 221FB brass.....when I know it's about to pop, I'll post it here. I'm in for 500 cases right out of the gate.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails