Remington VSSF II bad?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Bayou City Boy

Re: Remington VSSF II bad?

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Hawkeye Reloader wrote:..... BTW, the first few handloads with the Cooper are showing this is easliy going to be a 1/2 moa gun....
It would still be at the factory if it couldn't do that. Cooper's CF rifle accuracy guarantee is "1/2” 3-shot groups at 100yds using match grade ammunition", even though the target that came with the rifle with the typically one bullet diameter+ 3 shot group was fired at 42 yards using a 36X Leupold target scope.....

Take a typical factory rifle, shoot it at 42 yards with a god target scope, and try to duplicate the target that came with your Cooper. Very few factory rifles are capable of doing it...

My experience over time has been that Cooper rifles will easily meet their accuracy guarantee plus some... And that experience is based on more than just a couple of Cooper rifles.

-BCB
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I recently purchased a Cooper 21 Varminter in .204 (on sale) for less than a VSSF II. Just ordered a Phoenix, but will (reluctantly) have to sell one of my accurate Remingtons (LVSF, SPSS Varmint) to help fund it. Still love a good-shooting Remmy, although they seem to be getting harder to find new.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Rowdy: See, you've been infected with the Cooper Curse! Once you get one, you just HAVE to have another!

Never had this problem in all the years I've owned Remington's........ :chin:

(My new Cooper is one the way as this is written.....will the madness ever stop? :lol: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Quoddy
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by Quoddy »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Rowdy: See, you've been infected with the Cooper Curse! Once you get one, you just HAVE to have another!

Never had this problem in all the years I've owned Remington's........ :chin:

(My new Cooper is one the way as this is written.....will the madness ever stop? :lol: )
I thought that when I got my Cooper MTV .204 in February that it would be my only one. I'm already looking at a Cooper in 6.5x284. It may be the fact that I'm already well under .5 MOA using it.
Cooper Montana Varminter (.204 Ruger) with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule)
Hawkeye Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF .204

Finally an update! Remington VSSF II bad?

Post by Hawkeye Reloader »

Well,
UPS showed up at my door Tuesday with a brand-spanking new gun! The paperwork said accuracy issue was "unable to be resolved". I guess I feel a bit better after dealing with the monkeys at Scheel's. Interestingly, the trigger had the X-Mark tag stating that the pull weight was set at the factory at 3.5 lbs and was adjustable over a 2 lb range, minimun 2.5 lbs. The gun was shipped with the trigger exactly 5 lbs. and would not safely adjust below 3.5 lbs. I double-checked my Lyman Digital against another scale and verified it to be spot-on. I have had others tell me thier new Remi's were also set at 5 lbs. from the factory. Oh well, I can't complain too much, after-all BIG GREEN did ship me a new gun. I will update when I get a chance to test it and post the results.
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

I was ready to give-up on my 204 remington until I tried the 39 Blitzkings, they are the only thing my Remington will shoot under a half inch(never did try Bergers). Benchmark powder worked well for me in that combo. Look forward to reading a report on the new rifle.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424