Cooper model 21 or others?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Cooper model 21 or others?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Right you are on all counts, BCB.

Lately I've been peering into the back of the safe, wondering what could fund the purchase of my next Cooper...... Time to invest again. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Those Coopers are nice but most custom rifles are, which is where I would classify a Cooper. Its the ole' saying, anything worth having isn't free and, ya' get what you pay for. For me, I have a 40-X in .308 and its just as smooth as a Cooper (the one I shot) and its a hammer.

Nothing the matter with Remington actions. They're kinda' like Chevrolets, there is plenty of aftermarket stuff out there.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim: Don't get me wrong....I've got many Remington's, one Cooper. Remington's don't come with a curse though, the "Cooper Curse". I was warned, but it basically sets in after you get your first one, then you realize you just must have another. And then another........

(I'm with you on the Rem/Small Block Chevy thing though.... ;) )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Bayou City Boy wrote:Why would you ever want to sell one to find out how well they hold their value? Maybe go out on limb and find a new wife occasionally, but buying a Cooper is a life-time commitment...
No gun has ever left my safe. When I bring them home, it's for keeps. :wink:
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Coopers fall into the semi-custom category.... You can get one of the various stock models which is what most vendors carry, or you can have specials added to the stock model at extra cost to go full custom.

I too have a bunch of factory Remingtons and like them a bunch. But even the nicer/more expensive Remington rifles, or any other mass produced factory rifle for that matter, are a far cry from a stock Cooper with no extra frills.

JMO- BCB
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Mike,

I'm a lot like you, when I get one I rarely let it go (or I wouldn't of got it in the 1st place) but when I do, especially the long rrange accurate ones, I know where they are.

RIO/BCB,

I'll confess the Cooper I shot had a smooth action and was put together very well. In fact, I wonder how they compare to the Kimbers and Christensen Arms rifles. I just picked up another (new) Remington Thumbhole SS rifle in 204 for under 500 dollars and if if shoots as good as the last one it would be hard to pass up those deals.

One note regarding the CZ's though, I like mine (American in 204 and after bedding and free floating it just drills the 39 SBK) is cycling the rounds from the magazine through the action is not very smooth. The only other negative I can think of off the top is the angle of the bolt handle which mandates high mounts. In fact, I thought the Cooper seemed a tad high too. Don't mind the angle as long as I'm not compelled to use high/extra high mounts on a stock that doesn't require them.

Jim
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim: Note the Leupold rings/mount in my Cooper pic.....low rings and a 30mm main tube. The scope is about as low over the bore as possible without any bolt handle interference.

Like you, when a nice specimen lands in my safe, it may never leave. Some of the stuff in there has been with me since the early 70's. But when you compare a Cooper to a Kimber, you may be surprised. I have both, always thought they were "equals" in terms of what we would purchase a rifle like they represent, but alas, the nod does indeed go to Cooper as I found out myself.

I may own another Kimber rifle in the future, but I WILL own another Cooper.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

Well, I went with the Cooper.
It's the model 21 with 26" stainless fluted barrel. Can't wait for it to come in! Now to decide which scope I should put on... :chin:
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Pictures man, pictures! :lol: Boy I love this stuff! Gary
Mike

Post by Mike »

jdefranc938 wrote:Well, I went with the Cooper.
It's the model 21 with 26" stainless fluted barrel. Can't wait for it to come in! Now to decide which scope I should put on... :chin:
Congrats! Did you order it from Cooper or did someone have that particular rifle in stock?
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

I own and have owned several Kimber rifles.... They are nice and they are good shooters, but they are not Coopers.

IMO, its hard to get better quality in an accurate rifle, that looks nice also, than what you get when you buy a Cooper. In my life time, I have bought several full custom rifles with special metal smithing and walnut stocks crafted by several masters of the trade that maybe look better, but they cost a lot more too.

Again, IMO, for the money, a Cooper is heads above in quality over anything else available that someone builds today in the same class of rifles.....including the currently much more expensive Dakota Arms rifles. Now that Cooper sells repeaters built for big game hunting, Dakota is in for a struggle to compete price-wise.

-BCB

edited for spelling.....
Mike

Post by Mike »

Some people laugh when I say that Cooper is the best bargain in firearms, but I firmly believe that to be true.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

Mike wrote:
jdefranc938 wrote:Well, I went with the Cooper.
Congrats! Did you order it from Cooper or did someone have that particular rifle in stock?

I found a dealer that had it, new, in stock. Sent the money in today, and I should have it by the end of the week!

As far as the scope, I'm looking at either the Nikon Buckmaster/Monarch or the Leupold VX-3. Any recommendations on which one or which power?
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
BELIZE
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 VARMINT

Post by BELIZE »

JUST GOT MY CZ 427 VARMINT / LOVE-IT.
Mike

Post by Mike »

jdefranc938 wrote:As far as the scope, I'm looking at either the Nikon Buckmaster/Monarch or the Leupold VX-3. Any recommendations on which one or which power?
In my opinion, the Leupold is better. I have an 8-25x VX-III on top of my Cooper and am quite happy with it.