Neck sizing only

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: Neck sizing only

Post by OldTurtle »

Joker, I only bring this up since I failed to see it in any of the previous posts....

You can get by with Neck Sizing for bolt actions and single shot rifles.... If you are contemplating using the cartridges in a semi-auto, such as an AR or mini-14, they all need to be full length sized for each loading....
AR
Factory/Factory
Joker
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning A-Bolt

Post by Joker »

Thanks. I do have an Remmy R 15 in 204. Good to know. Still haven't seen anything on neck sizing with a full die. Think i will just way until i can order the neck only die.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Joker: Turtle is right, and also consider that for loading in any semi-auto rifle, you'll want to get the Small Base F/L die set, as it will resize the cases more completely all the way to the base of the case to ensure easy chambering. If you shoot both a semi-auto and a bolt gun, you'll want two die sets to do this right.

I shoot a few single shot falling block rifles, and half of them require F/L sizing every time, as they are tight chambers with little camming action in regard to ejection. The others are just fine with neck sizing only....the only way to tell for sure is to try to chamber a neck sized round to see how easily it will chamber after sizing.

Partial neck sizing with a F/L die is easy, just adjust your die to partially size the neck....it will also partially size the body, but not work the brass as much as complete F/L sizing would. But be sure to set your die with a piece of precision ground stock under the die and shellholder to take the slop out of the 7/8"-14 die threads prior to tightening the die to ensure coaxial alignment, or your TIR will be excessive for certain and accuracy will suffer accordingly.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

OldSchool
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP Super Sniper 10x

Post by OldSchool »

Just my $.02 but read this article by Clay Spencer one of the top gunsmiths and shooters in the country. Its a little long winded for what your looking for but he talks about neck sizing. http://www.precisionshooting.com/psm_2006_10_issue.html

Take it easy and good shooting!
"There's only one truth about war: people die." - Sheridan