CZ or savage

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
280win
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: CZ or savage

Post by 280win »

Here is what i bought, I dont think $550.00 was to bad of price. now i have to wait till it gets here.

Savage 10 Predator,.204 Ruger, 22" Barrel, Mossy Oak Brush Camo, mfg.#18454. Leupold VX-I 4-12x40, No Scratches in Camo ***Pre-Owned***

Pictures for Item # 121969852

1: Image
2: Image
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

I know many love their Savages. I finally tried one after detesting them for my entire life. It was the 12 Low Profile, in .204, laminated stock, stainless barrel, and weighed enough to kill a wild boar. It was new, but I had three problems with it:

1. The magazine did not feed properly;

2. I tried about ten different factory loads, and none of them consistently shot better than about 1.0 or 1.125 MOA;

3. Despite all the love and hype about the Accu-trigger, mine would hang up and misfire about half of the time while following a foraging rockchuck. I am not a fan of the renowned Accu-trigger. I prefer my Sako, Tikka, Browning, or Weatherby triggers any day.

Further, Savage uses a longer action, even for the short .223 and .204, and puts a block in it to shorten it. CZ uses a true super short action for the .223 and .204.

Perhaps it was just a lemon, but for $800, I expected more.

I would go for the CZ.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
OHVarminter
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Kevlar / Cooper Varminter

Post by OHVarminter »

I have had a Savage in .223 and liked it. It was very accurate, but I sold it for the CZ in 204. I have the CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar.

I do not regret selling the Savage. The accu-trigger is not as good in my opinion as the CZ's in the set position.

The single set trigger on the CZ, the fit, feel and accuracy are all top notch. I have two other CZ's a 17 HMR 452 Varmint and their basic 22. All are great guns and very accurate.

I also have three Coopers (204, 20 Vartarg and 6.5X284) and several other brands and calibers.

The 204 Varmint Kevlar is the gun I shoot the most.

I won't be selling any of the CZ's or Coopers. I can't say the same for the other brands.

Ask the guy I sold the Savage to and he will tell you it's the most accurate rifle he owns.

Choose the one that fits you best and enjoy.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

In my experience, when I got my LRPV w/ the lighter "target" trigger, I had a problem where it would fall of the trigger sear and "hang up". So, I took the action outta the stock and adjusted the trigger with the wrench it came with. They had it set from the factory to the lightest trigger pull possible. So I moved it back up 2/3 of a turn or so.........that way it was still light, but not bottomed all the way out to the lightest possible.

Also, when I was in there I noticed a graphitey-greasy-tar-like salve over many of the trigger parts. I assume to protect it from corrosion. So after using alcohol and a q-tip to get it clean, I have not had any more problems with that. I also used the same method on a Savage 12FV .223 that was doing the same thing, and problem solved also there!!! Hope this helps! -Dan

I do like the set trigger on the CZ and have my eye on a very nice little .17HMR and saw a very nice .17 Rem. today that I also like...........................I WOULD NEVER TRADE MY SAVAGE OFF. Three words----------> TACK DRI VER!!!
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Hi cshooter, i like your comment about taking the 12 gauge..... It's nice to hear that i'm not alone in not being able to shoot sub moa groups all day long :lol:
' Pay it forward buddy '