Another new .204! Need advice from the masses...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
nzs204

Post by nzs204 »

you say you have a howa atm and are very happy with it, why not get a SS howa with standard barrel and hogue stock? Pretty cheap, not the lightest rifle in town but id be pretty confident it would shoot straight and it wont break the bank..
iv got one myself, and it is very accurate...(just got the hogue full bed aliminium block stock for it but am yet to try it out with the new stock, got it free but thats another story ;) )
stevecrea

Re: Another new .204! Need advice from the masses...

Post by stevecrea »

As an earlier writer stated, Browning makes some of their A-bolt rifles in .204. Also, I know that Browning did some small runs of .204 that they do not catalog, but are available on the internet and at some dealers. One of my friends just bought an A-bolt Medallion in .204. I have an A-bolt Medallion in .223 and it has been an excellent walking rifle. The bolt lift is only 60 degrees, so clearance of the bolt with a scope is not an issue as it is on some rifles. It has a tang safety, which works well. I had a gunsmith slick up the trigger and lighten it, and it works very nicely. It has a detachable magazine, so you can carry an extra one for fast reloading, which is nice for varmints. The Browning merits consideration, along with the other rifles that writers have suggested.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Re:

Post by Bergcrane2 »

nzs204 wrote:you say you have a howa atm and are very happy with it, why not get a SS howa with standard barrel and hogue stock? Pretty cheap, not the lightest rifle in town but id be pretty confident it would shoot straight and it wont break the bank..
iv got one myself, and it is very accurate...(just got the hogue full bed aliminium block stock for it but am yet to try it out with the new stock, got it free but thats another story ;) )
I agree! I bought the same gun in 300WSM and it's light, accurate, and I love the grippy stock. As for factory ammo, Federal Premium with the 39gr Sierras is a great round. I got a .218" group out of that factory ammo.