Ordered my LRPV and scope today!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Danny,
Go slow, take digital pics as you go, and take notes.

Most of the time, a good cleaning (carb cleaner or denatured alcohol with a small brush), and apply a quality lube does WONDERS for 85% of the triggers on factory rifles.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Dan
Only the front 3 screws get removed.The rear trigger guard screw does not,(It's locked with some kind of glue). Mark the screws with a Sharpie at 12 oclock before removal.The mark will aid in reassemble if not sure how much to torque.Just put the mark on the screw head back in the same position when tightening. I loosen the two end screws first and the middle last.Set the screws on the table in the order they came out so they go back in the same hole.
To reassemble. Stand the gun on the ground with barrel up to make sure the recoil lug is seated properly agianst the bedding. Snug the 3 screws finger tight (I like to do the middle first ) while aligning the barrel in the channel. Then do a final torque aligning your scerw marks up. DONE . Let me know if you need any more help. I'll be in and out ALL day.LOTS of yard work :( .

By the way,How's it shootin :D
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Hey

Post by dannybracy »

Hey Hawkeye, thanks for the info. Is there any margin for error when standing the gun on end and getting it to go right back into the stock w/ no pressure points. The gun is shooting great, mine really likes 40gr Vmaxs but shoots 39s, 32 Vmaxs, and 40 gr Bergers all in the same point of impact. That is the only thing that is bothering me is that i have this upcoming trip w/ 400 40 gr Vmaxs, 250 39gr BKs and 250 32 Vmaxs right now they are all shooting 1" high at 100 yds w/ the same POI. I don't want that to change.......but on the other hand once outta every 7/8 times the trigger locks b/c of the safety feature in the trigger.... THanks again -Dan
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Your gun should shoot the same next time out. Mine did :D . Center the barrel and you will be good to go.. Don't forget to take the Hex wrench and trigger adjuster with on your trip :wink:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

dannybracy

thanks

Post by dannybracy »

Thank you for your help Hawkeye. I got it apart cleaned all that GREASE JUNK off it and oiled it up. Seems to be ALOT smoother as i don't have any ammo to actually put threw it at the momment(all 875 rounds are about 3.5 hrs away from me at my g/f's parents house so i don't shoot anymore of it before my trip in 2 weeks). I put the gun back together and looking straight down the barrel the stocks looks to lean one way, but the barrel is still free floating so i am sure it is right were it used to be but now i am just noticing it. Again thanks for all your help. What is your best bullet combo? We had a 8lb. jug of H335 so i am using 40 gr VMAX, Win. brass, CCI Benchrest primers, 26.5 gr of H335. My best group so far has been a .46" 5 shot group. What do you think your overall most accurate bullet is?
Hawkeye Joe

Re: thanks

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

dannybracy wrote: I put the gun back together and looking straight down the barrel the stocks looks to lean one way, but the barrel is still free floating so i am sure it is right were it used to be but now i am just noticing it.

I would center the barrel.That would drive me nuts :loco:

I'm still unsure what bullet I like best.It's a tossup between the 35gr Berger and the Sierra 39gr BK. I think the Bergers will soon be at the top of my list.
Next time out, I'll be shooting 35gr Bergers for the first time with my LRPV.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

dannybracy

?

Post by dannybracy »

Hawkeye... I took the screws back out and tried retorqueing them down and it seemed to be a little better. I wish i would have noticed it before but it is one of those things that you don't really look for first and notice later. It has to be how it was before(it is not that bad but i am SUPER ANAL!!!) i will prolly try taking it back apart and doing it again. The trigger seems to function soo much better!
I agree w/ you, i want to get some of those 35 gr Bergers as i loved the 40 gr's. But i also wanna take a look at the 30 gr's. Have you heard much on them? -Dan
Hawkeye Joe

Re: ?

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

dannybracy wrote:Hawkeye...
I agree w/ you, i want to get some of those 35 gr Bergers as i loved the 40 gr's. But i also wanna take a look at the 30 gr's. Have you heard much on them? -Dan
Never tried the 30's... I did manage a range trip Tuesday morning with the 35's and LRPV. It was hot :eek:.Cheek weld turned into cheek burn on the black stock.After 20 rounds I was done. My best 5 shot group was .730 at 200 yards with 28 grains of H4895,COL 2.260,Rem 7 1/2 primer.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Ohlsen

Post by Ohlsen »

The following is a short peice from an article in the May issue of "Precision Shooting" on Savages new target rifles, the LRPV included.

"These recievers have one other significant difference from other Savage single-shot recievers - the method of reciever-to- stock attachment. This system uses three equally spaced screws. The "extra" screw is located midway between the standard two, as is found on all other Savage center-fire recievers. Adding this third screw is a major factor in accuracy potential because it isolates the rear of the reciever from the front of the reciever. Without this central action screw (feasible only on single-shot recievers), tightening the rear action screw has a tendency to raise the front of the receiver because the stock is necessarily cut away immediately rearward of that screw. With three screws, all that rear action screw does is hold the front of the trigger guard in place! (Yes, it also holds the reciever to the stock, but is only an auxiliary function - so long as it is reasonably snug, it will do all good that it can do.)"

What do you think??

Tom
dannybracy

?

Post by dannybracy »

So how would you guys tighten them? Middle, then front, then rear? I took my stock back off and it seems to be straighter than before but each time i do it, it seems it goes back to the same spot. The barrel is still free-floating(even w/ a couple of thick or folded sheets of paper). I am going to go shoot it on tomorrow to make sure it is still shooting dead on(same POI w/ 32 VMAX, 39 Bk, and 40VMAX). I am very specific in the things i do, but it seems to be that is how it was before i took it off to clean all that JUNK off the trigger and sear. Just wondering what u guys think..... Thanks for all the info and your help. Hope i don't seem like an idiot, i am just anal about these things. Thanks again -Dan
Ohlsen

Post by Ohlsen »

dannybracy wrote:So how would you guys tighten them? Middle, then front, then rear? I took my stock back off and it seems to be straighter than before but each time i do it, it seems it goes back to the same spot. The barrel is still free-floating(even w/ a couple of thick or folded sheets of paper). I am going to go shoot it on tomorrow to make sure it is still shooting dead on(same POI w/ 32 VMAX, 39 Bk, and 40VMAX). I am very specific in the things i do, but it seems to be that is how it was before i took it off to clean all that JUNK off the trigger and sear. Just wondering what u guys think..... Thanks for all the info and your help. Hope i don't seem like an idiot, i am just anal about these things. Thanks again -Dan
Just my opinion here, ok? I have a LRPV in .204 and I ended up sanding out the barrel channel on mine. When I put a bipod on it and set it up on the bench and checked barrel clerance it was hitting, that's a heavy barrel. My barrel sits more to one side of the forearm too. I don't think you can get rid of that because when you tighten up the action screws the action is going to get sucked down into the aluminum bedding block and it controls which way your barrel is gonna go. I do do like one of the previous posters said, I put all three action screws in lightly and then stand it up with the buttsock on my knee and tighten up the screw by the recoil lug, then the middle one and then the triggerguard screw with just an allen wrench. Then I torque the top two screws to 50 in/lbs and the bottom one I just leave snugged up. Why 50 in/lbs, I don't know exactly. I know I torque my Remingtons with the HS stock to 65 in/lbs, that's what's recommended.

Haven't had much time to shoot this rifle yet with work, my daughter graduating from college and Mother Nature who seems open up the heavens on my days off.

Tom
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Ohlsen wrote:
I don't think you can get rid of that because when you tighten up the action screws the action is going to get sucked down into the aluminum bedding block and it controls which way your barrel is gonna go.

Tom
Tom you are correct. I was thinking of my VLP. It's been a long time since I had my LRPV apart :oops: . Mine also centers itself.And yes, it's on center :D . Got lucky I guess. I like to tighten the middle screw first to keep the barrel parallel to the bedding. If I do either end first, the barrel lifts.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

dannybracy

Thanks

Post by dannybracy »

Thanks alot guys. Put 6 rounds down the barrel, all could be covered up with a penny at 1 & 1/4" high at 100 yards! Getting SUPER EXCITED!!!! We leave weds at noon for my first Prairie Dog hund EVER! Taking 850 rounds for my LRPV and my girlfriends dad is bringing his 2 Rem. 700's in .223 w/ over 2000 rounds for them. He couldn't get one of his quads goin, so he went and bought a brand new Honda for me to shoot off of. He has storage/shooting platforms front and back w/ side runners to put down if it is too windy. There will be 4 of us going to south central SD til late this weekend. Going to try to take some good pics as I am sure there will be some good shooting on the virgin land we are headed to. I am lucky to have all the GREAT info you guys share. Thank you ALL!!!! -Dan