Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
NHS

Post by NHS »

Well, I finally did it. I went into Cabelas last night and picked up a new Remington 700 LVSF in a .204. They had them on clearance for $599, plus they threw in an electronic varmint call. Seemed like a pretty good deal. I have been looking for a long time. I can't wait to get out and shoot it. Thanks to all you knowlegable guys who post here. Reading this forum definately swayed me from the .223 to the .204.

Regards,
NHS

I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

NHS, Sounds like you have a good setup, how did you get them to throw in that caller?
NHS

Post by NHS »

It is a special ad they ran here in Lehi UT. The Cabelas store is fairly new (it opened last fall). I don't know if the promotion was for all of their retail stores or only the one here in Utah. Anyway, I'm glad I found it. I am heading out tomorrow morning to shoot it for the first time. I'll let you know how it does.
NHS
Last edited by NHS on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruger No. 1

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Good luck, it should be a shooter. :D
NHS

Post by NHS »

Well, I am pleased. I got to shoot a box through it. Not bad results with factory ammo, over the hood of my truck. This was my best group at 100 yds. I expect better results with handloads off a bench.

NHS

Ruger No. 1

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Good shootin' thats over the hood of your truck. :shock:
janneuf

Intro

Post by janneuf »

Hey guys, my name is Jan and I am a 46 year-old father of 3. I just got back into varmint hunting after about a 15 year hiatus. My friend begged me for 3 years to hunt deer with him at his place just north of Louisville and I went once and was instantly re-hooked on hunting. I just finished a grad degree and have more time now so hopefully my wife wont complain (too much).

I have shot a few song-dogs in my day, mainly back around the Evansville Indiana area. I just bought a Savage 12 FV in 204 ( I also have a Model 70 in 7mm WSM and thought it might be a bit heavy for a 40 pound coyote) and have yet to get it out. I appreciate the site and the wealth of info.
janneuf
wranglerdude

Post by wranglerdude »

Hey my name is James and I live in western NC. I am currently in college at NC state in Raleigh getting a degree in animal science. I live on a beef cattle farm back home with some pretty darn good deer hunting on it. Just in the past few years we have started to see some coyotes on our farm, and since we raise sheep and cows all the more reason to shoot them. I've only killed one coyote so far and that was back in the fall during deer season from a deer stand with a 7mm mag.

I am supposed to pick up my .204 tomorrow and hopefully will be able to get some coyotes with it soon!!
James
Ruger No. 1

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

welcome James, that is a good lookin' dog but that 7mm mag might be over kill? :lol: You will like your 204 it should be a tackdriver. :D
Steve6309

Post by Steve6309 »

I've been registered for a while and just realized I haven't introduced myself. My name is Steve and I'm 54 years old. Been a game warden here in Texas for 27 years and looking forward to retiring in the next 2-3 years. I started out with a Ruger .204 and then went to a Remington. I also shoot a 22-250 but the .204 is what I pick up most often now. I love calling coyotes and try to make a prarie dog trip a couple of times a year. I enjoy making predator calls when I have time. Married for 33 years with 3 kids and four grandkids with another one on the way. I really enjoy reading the posts on this forum and it has been especially helpful in developing loads for my rifle.

Steve Barbour
Yoteboy

Hi Everyone!

Post by Yoteboy »

Hi ! My name's Lindsay . I live in Saskatchewan Canada. I'm an ex - fur buyer / trapping supply guy who now just does the 9-5 thing. I'm addicted to calling coyotes in the fur season as well as putting them up. I had a Rem. SPS in 204 but now am in the process of building one and I'm looking for all the info I can on loads, bullets etc. etc. and how they work on coyotes.
devv

Post by devv »

Hello all,

I've been spending the last few days reading posts on this site, looks like 'yall have a great group here.

I'm Scott, 47 years old, married to my high school sweetheart for just under 27 years now. I have 2 kids and 1 grandchild.

I spent 25 years as an auto mechanic, 18 of it repairing the computer controlled systems. I now own an ISP and manage the systems for a school district. I also build Mesquite furniture, which I harvest and mill myself. I bow hunt, but always carried my 25-06 during gun season “just in case”. Climbing trees with a bow and rifle was getting old so I decided to try carrying an Encore in a .243/15” barrel, I can carry this gun in my knapsack. Shortly after the Encore purchase I started looking at rifle barrels and settled on the .204. I have the trigger pull set at 30 oz. and use an oversized hinge pin. My first groups with factory ammo off my picnic table were quarter sized. I'm looking forward to hammering some coyotes with this gun, we have plenty of them here around my place and where I deer hunt.

Anyone out there have decent ideas for building a shooting bench?

Scott
Southpaw

Post by Southpaw »

Greetings All,

My name is Joey and I'm a farmer in central California. I live on a red island in the middle of a blue state. I'm married and have three kids.

My 204 Ruger is a Cooper Varminter that I bought last fall. I love the caliber and the gun! What a blast to shoot. I reload for my hunting rifles and enjoy trying to improve my accuracy, but this is my first long range, small caliber rifle.

I've been reading and researching this forum for quite some time and decided that it was time to jump in. I am very impressed with the knowledge, experience, enthusiasm, and courtesy that I've seen in this forum. I have found a lot of very good information here and have learned a ton.

Thanks for all of your help!
Ruger No. 1

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Welcome Southpaw! Cooper are great guns glad you are having fun with it. :D
madk1w1

Post by madk1w1 »

Hi guys
My name is Greg, I'm 38yo, just another kiwi living here in Australia, home is just out of perth.
My toy is Ruger vt Lam/stainless with leupold vx1 4-12 x 40 , was looking for something smaller than the 270 and better than the 22lr. Had read plenty about the 204 and just impressed the heck out of me! :D :D :D
it hasn't dissapointed me yet (shooting it is as pleasurable as sex),longest shoot to date kangaroo at 350m,just starting to reload but difficult to get gear here in west aust. untill calibre is more popular
great forum, very helpfull and informative, moderators doing good job to.
catch you all later Greg