Fiocchi Extrema Ammunition 204 Ruger 32 Grain Hornady V-Max

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Slowshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Fiocchi Extrema Ammunition 204 Ruger 32 Grain Hornady V-Max

Post by Slowshot »

When I took possession of my new (left handed) Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger, I found little commercial ammunition available locally, with prices at $1.00 a round for 20 round boxes. With an on-line search, I found the Fiocchi 32 Grain stuff at Midway in 50 round boxes at about $.75 a round.

When the ammunition arrived, I took the M77 to my local club and, with a Nikon 6-18X40mm Buckmaster, I sighted in at 100 yards.

That was a week ago. Yesterday, a couple of friends and I spent the day in the mountains shooting can lids, paper cups and various targets of opportunity at distances between 80 and 300+ yards. As an experiment in ballistics, I did not adjust my crosshairs for different distances and left it sighted for 100 yards. I wanted to see what kind of bullet drop I would get at, say 300 yards.

The result was, every shot hit the intended target. My last three shots were at a small piece of wood, the lid of a tomato can and the lid of a paper cup. My friend Russ had placed all three targets were on the slope of an old landslide. My friends and I were on a hill across a valley from the targets. With a naked eye, I could not see the targets. With the scope at 12X, I could see them well but not any bullet holes. According to the range marks on my scope, with AO adjusted for a crisp view, was over 300 yards. I fired one shot at each target. I could see the paper cup and the piece of wood move and new I had hit them, or at least come close.

Then we looked at the targets with our spotting scope. The paper cup was destroyed. Both the can lid and the piece of wood had a single neat round hole within an inch of dead center. Russ asked where I had aimed to make those shots hit the targets. He assumed I had done a bit of hold over. The truth is I aimed at dead center with each shot. Now I am completely sold on the 204 Ruger as an exceptionally accurate and flat shooting round. I plan to buy another 100 rounds of the Fiocchi. That should leave me with plenty of reloading brass. With the ability my Arbor press and Powder measure give me for loading in the field, I should never run out of ammunition.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Re: Fiocchi Extrema Ammunition 204 Ruger 32 Grain Hornady V-Max

Post by Bodei »

That Fiocchi ammo is so fast that the bullet doesnt have time to drop! I chrono'd it well over 4000 fps if i recall correctly.
K = ½mv2