howa 1500

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
bwganbrain
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 Stainless Sporting Barrel

howa 1500

Post by bwganbrain »

I thought this may be of interest to other users. I recently purchased a Howa 1500 sporter, stainless barrel in 204, with Hogue stock. Try as I might, I couldn't get better than 3" grouping, must have gone through half a pot of H335. I decided to change the stock and sent for a Boyds featherweight thumbhole stock in royal jacaranda. The total cost was £136,which included £26 import fees. The stock arrived and the action was bedded using Devcon plastic steel putty. When I shot it yesterday for the first time, off the bonnet of my defender, I was astounded! 3 rounds within .5". Ive no doubt that this would improve if I were to shoot it off the bench.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Re: howa 1500

Post by Sidewinderwa »

We sell Howa rifles at the sporting goods store I work at and have only heard good things about the Howa. Several customers say that 1 MOA is not a problem. Surprised to hear your rifle was shooting so poorly. Glad to hear that you found the fix. Welcome to the site. Be sure to post a picture of your new rifle.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: howa 1500

Post by Bill K »

bwganbrain wrote:I thought this may be of interest to other users. I recently purchased a Howa 1500 sporter, stainless barrel in 204, with Hogue stock. Try as I might, I couldn't get better than 3" grouping, must have gone through half a pot of H335. I decided to change the stock and sent for a Boyds featherweight thumbhole stock in royal jacaranda. The total cost was £136,which included £26 import fees. The stock arrived and the action was bedded using Devcon plastic steel putty. When I shot it yesterday for the first time, off the bonnet of my defender, I was astounded! 3 rounds within .5". Ive no doubt that this would improve if I were to shoot it off the bench.
Just curious, in your comment of "try as I might" did you check/sand/open the barrel channel so you know it was free from touching the barrel, as the barrel heated. Bill K