Howa rifle bedding

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
pre64win
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Howa rifle bedding

Post by pre64win »

I just got a Howa barreled action and am going to put it in a Boyd stock. What has your experience been with the bedding on the Boyd? Do they seem to shoot as they are from the factory or will it have to get a bedding job? I will free float the barrel. One more question for those with Howa experience--What seems to be the best for the guard screws. I thought I would try the front screw pulled down tight and the rear screw not quite so tight. What would be your advice?
I just got the Howa and my first impression is good, I like the new trigger and the action seems to fit and function like it should.

I just found the forum a couple of months ago and it is one of the best ones I follow. Lots of good information here and the attitude of the members is great.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Howa rifle bedding

Post by RAMOS »

I have other experience but, no Howa specific experience. I would shoot the rifle in the new stock, as is, to establish a baseline. Then, I would float the barrel and shoot it some more. Finally, I would put pillars in then bed the action. Just can't see anything negative coming from a good pillar and bedding job.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I have owned, and shoot, my Howa, in 204, and I do mean shoot! Sometimes on a good day in the rat fields, if the rats comply, I have gone thru upwards of 300 rounds in a day. And I live close to my shooting, so I do shoot my Howa very often, Mine is the varminter model, in a Hogue stock, out of the factory, and it will still group the 39 sbk's in the 3/8 in range, and the 32 vmax in less than 1/2 in, if I do my part. I've never even considered replacing the stock. because I love the Hogue. There is a tightening sequence and torque specs on the screws you mentioned. I have this info somewhere, but can't put my fingers on the info. If you want to tighten these screws to factory specs, you will need an inch pound torque wrench.
I do agree with RAMOS, as for establishing a baseline.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
ein
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa

Post by ein »

Bed it. It's a simple action to bed and it's great to be able to pull the action out and put it back in and have your zero barely move.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I usually bring a new rifle home, check it out, have a short 'range day' to set that baseline Ramos mentioned, then take it home and do the whole meal-deal.....float the barrel, bed the action and chamber area, tweak the trigger for the appropriate use, THEN either shoot it with the same loads used at 'range day', or shoot new loads tailored to the rifle in terms of seating depth and start the usual load workup.

I never get my hopes up too high on the initial outing, but am always more than pleased at my targets after the time spent at the bench tweaking the rifle the way it should have been from the factory in the first place. But if the factory did it right during production, what would we have to do? Just shoot it? ;)

Howa's are easy to work on and always respond positively to this treatment. Any rifle you expect to shoot properly, should be properly bedded/floated.....any rifle.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

pre64win
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by pre64win »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I took the Howa to the range and with my first test loads I had one 5 shot group less than .7 inches at 100 yards with Sierra 39's. All I have done so far is float the barrel. I think this one is going to be fun to shoot.
ein
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa

Post by ein »

With bedding you'll see more consistent groups on average, less random fliers and if it shoots like my Howa, less than 1/2" agg at 100yds with consistent hand loads.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Don't settle for .7"! I have shot .25" with factory 40 grain V-max from my Howa. They can shoot.
K = ½mv2