Pac nor vs lilja barrel ?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
majcl5

Pac nor vs lilja barrel ?

Post by majcl5 »

I have my .204 and my sons in need of new barrels and I have narrowed it down to pac nor or a lilja barrel any thoughts ? Rick highly recommends the pac nor and I am also consoldering getting both one for each gun , am I thinking to much ? Just want to make the right choice :D
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Pac nor vs lilja barrel ?

Post by Bill K »

Either are good, I believe. But with you being in Oregon, I would head to Pacnor. Bill K :)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I don't think the vermin will know the difference.

However, if you need it installed with the action trued PACNOR does do all of that, Not sure if Lilja does.

HTH,
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I have a strong recommendation for a gunsmith in chehalis Washington , Steve kostanich,
is only 1 1/2 hrs for my house and I wouldn't have to ship the rifle to Lilja or pac nor
The lilja barrel I can get now the pac nor is 16-18 weeks out which isn't a deal breaker
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

majcl5 wrote:I have a strong recommendation for a gunsmith in chehalis Washington , Steve kostanich,
is only 1 1/2 hrs for my house and I wouldn't have to ship the rifle to Lilja or pac nor
The lilja barrel I can get now the pac nor is 16-18 weeks out which isn't a deal breaker
Steve rebarreled a gun for me a while back. Which one did he recommend? Also, Benchmark Barrels is in Marysville WA, I hear theu make darn good barrels too and they too will do the installin and truing.

HTH,
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I have Pacnor 3 groove barrels on 3 different rifles and they all shoot sub 1/2" on a regular basis. I have also experienced great accuracy from Shillen barrels, Krieger, and Green Mountain. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. In my opinion 80% of the accuracy comes from the gunsmith chambering the rifle, if they do a good job chambering the barrel it shows in the accuracy level of the rifle when its finished. The reverse is also true which is why i am very picky on which gunsmith i will use for my rifle builds. I have used Bob Green of Bob Green's Custom Rifles for 8 rifle builds in the last 4 years, each one has come back a shooter. For anyone not familiar with Bob Green he is located in Pennsylvania and builds a large number of Benchrest guns as well as Varmint rifles. Below i have included a picture of a recent target shot with a rifle Bob Green built for me, it has a Pacnor 3 groove 1-11" twist. The first 4 shots are in one hole, either i pulled or the wind got me on the fifth shot.

Brad

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Steves first thought was a Lilja barrel but also liked pac nor among others , I am leaning towards pac nor
Rem 700 VLSS .204
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Jim
Did you like steves work ? I work with a long range target shooter that holds i believe 5 world records and he claims steve is the best there is
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

majcl5 wrote:Jim
Did you like steves work ? I work with a long range target shooter that holds i believe 5 world records and he claims steve is the best there is
I sure did and wouldn't hesitate to use him again. he's about 1 1/2 hrs from me as well and he too builds BR rifles.

Jim
walkingtall
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by walkingtall »

I've heard good about pac nor but have a question someone here might be able to answer. I have a CZ 527 22K Hornet that I would like to barrel to a 20 VT.
Is it possible to use the hornet receiver. I use a single shot adapter so the magazine length is not a concern.

Thanks WT
wirelessguy2005

yes you can use the CZ 527 hornet action for your build, the only difference between that and a 221 fireball action is the bolt face. You can order a replacement bolt from CZ USA.
walkingtall
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by walkingtall »

Thanks Wireless, I'll have to see if the barrel and bolt face is cost effective before going with it. I can probably buy a CZ527 in a 204 and have it rechambered for less cost.
WT
wirelessguy2005

if you are interested in a similar but improved cartridge i have a CZ 527 Varmint kevlar sitting on my bench chambered in 20 SCC. I had a low round count 204 and had it set back to the 20 SCC, you get the performance of the 204 Ruger in a fireball sized case. The rifle is in excellent condition. PM me if you are interested and we can discuss the details.
walkingtall wrote:Thanks Wireless, I'll have to see if the barrel and bolt face is cost effective before going with it. I can probably buy a CZ527 in a 204 and have it rechambered for less cost.
WT