question on a new cooper 204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
g8trdw
.204 Ruger Guns: none

question on a new cooper 204

Post by g8trdw »

Hello to all. I've been reading this forum over the weekend getting info on different manufacturers of the 204. I have settled on the model 51 cooper. This is basically a version of the M21, only with a 4 round clip. I am concerned about the barrel twist of 1:12 not being versatile enough to shoot different size bullets. Please weigh in on this Rick in Oregon and any other Cooper gun owners. I haven't ordered gun yet, but am told it will be a 6-8 month wait. Thanks.
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Re: question on a new cooper 204

Post by dsandfort »

some 12 twists will handle most bullets up to and including 40 grainers. Some will not but usually shoot the 39g SBK without problem. My 12 twist (actually my wife's) really likes 32 grain SBKs.
Part of your fun will be finding out what diet you Cooper thrives on. I'd start with the bullet/powder combo that comes with your new rifle (on the target).
Enjoy...but get ready for the addiction.
g8trdw

Post by g8trdw »

as long as I'm ordering, I would like to order the 11 twist and 24" barrel but I'm told another company bought them and they only offer the 12 twist. I have never spent this kind of dough on a gun before but I'm sort of a accuracy freak and I'm told these are second to none. Thanks for your input. I just registered on the site today and this was my first post. I'm also getting into reloading as well.
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

Welcome aboard.
Get the Cooper in hand and shoot it. Mine can out shoot me. You'll not be disappointed.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Welcome aboard. The next 6-8 months are going to be loooong ones for you! My Model 21, 12 twist, shoots 32gr V-max, 35gr Berger MHP, and 39gr SBK's well enough to satisfy most any accuracy junkie. Five shot groups off the bench with a less than stellar home made front rest measure between .25" and .30" with any of those three bullets. If any of these bullets are suited to your needs, I would put the money saved into glass or components. How much is Cooper charging for a "custom" twist barrel these days?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

g8: +1 for what dsandfort said above.

FWIW, Two of my Coopers are .20 cal, both 12-twist, and both will shoot the 39gr SBK very, very well. My 204 will also shoot the 40's into less than .5 MOA, and does much better with the Nosler 40gr BT. The 40gr V-Max is always a crap shoot in any 12-twist barrel; some like it, many don't. It's likely due to the length of that particular bullet. It's one thing you'll have to test with your own rifle. Cooper usually uses H335 for their factory 204 load, so you may want to start there.

Here's a random group shot during my Cooper MTV 204 load workup. Not spectacular, just demonstrates what these rifles are capable of with the heavier bullets:

I wouldn't fret about the 204 and the 12 twist. It's likely your Cooper will be capable of better accuracy than you.....it's that way for me with mine. These rifles really shoot.

Congrats on the new rifle, and welcome aboard! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

g8trdw

Post by g8trdw »

thanks to everyone and the feedback. Jumping in with both feet. Looking forward to chatting with you guys. Ramos, they basically told me it was 12 twist or nothing.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I have NO doubt you will be completely satisfied with the 1:12. If you really need a heavier bullet, grab a different rifle. :wink:
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

Post by fishnbob »

I just received my first cooper in 20vt and like they say they are addicting. I am already trying to figure out what the next one is I am going to get. Lots of great guys on here with lots of great advice. Keep us posted on your progress. Also, unless you are dead set on a repeater the model 21 will save you a little money and I find myself shooting all my repeaters in single mode as of late. Just a personal preference but thought I would through it out there.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

If you can't wait and can live with a laminated stock: First Stop Gun is showing an M51 with one in .204 on GunsAmerica.
Love my 26" barrel M21 .204, but if I want a repeater real bad I might look at a Sako 85 Varmint first. Less $ than a 51, but not sure of the direction Sako is headed since Beretta took over. :(
g8trdw

Post by g8trdw »

called up customer service today to confirm with them that I'm in love with their guns, and I haven't even held one. Terrible right. Anyway, my wish is the Montana 21 varminter with ss barrel, but I like the Jackson varminter for the cheek rest. Am told I can't have both without upgrading the wood from aa to aaa grade wood. Not crazy about the "fiddleback" look of the aaa grade wood. So I've got to have the buick vents and the cheek rest and nothing else will do. It's kinda like being in love with Shania Twain and Martina Mcbride but settling for Carrie Underwood. I win anyway you look at it except in the wallet. If I don't combine the two, I will forever regret it. BTW, I've never held Twain, Mcbride or underwood, but they make some pretty good music! They are gonna look thru their blanks and find AAA with as little "fiddleback" as possible. I hope I don't pay for AAA and simply get AA.
RowdyYates

Post by RowdyYates »

I'd pick Martina any day. :)
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Would have said Shania until I read she's a vegan.
K = ½mv2
RowdyYates

Post by RowdyYates »

RowdyYates wrote:If you can't wait and can live with a laminated stock: First Stop Gun is showing an M51 with one in .204 on GunsAmerica.
Love my 26" barrel M21 .204, but if I want a repeater real bad I might look at a Sako 85 Varmint first. Less $ than a 51, but not sure of the direction Sako is headed since Beretta took over. :(
Fwiw: Now First Stop has both a .204 M51 Montana Varminter/French walnut and a Jackson Game (says 24" bbl.) Now you have me figuring how many rifles I have to sell to buy one of those!
B-78
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning,Tikka.

Post by B-78 »

I ordered a Cooper model 51 Phoniex about one year ago now. The rifle will be all stainless, fluted barrel, fluted bolt, snow camo synthetic stock and will have a 10 twist barrel. I was told from the retailer that I would not see it in 2013 but it should be here in the next couple months. You know I will post some pics of it when it does show up.