Savage & hollow point non tipped problem

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
shocker
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Savage & hollow point non tipped problem

Post by shocker »

Hello All! I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue with their Savage rifles. My rifle is a Savage model 12 FLV in 204.

I just tried some 32gr Varmageddon FBHP and I can't get them to feed right from my blind magazine. The bullet tip keeps hitting the lower right of back of the barrel when I try to chamber them. The only way I can get them to work is manually inserting them into the chamber.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!
Last edited by shocker on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new rifle: Savage 12FLV .204!
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Re: Savage & hollow point non tipped problem

Post by Tokimini »

I have a similar problem with Berger 40gr hollow points in my Remington 700. Ballistic tip bullets chamber fine but the hollow point always get hung up and you have to rattle them around to get them to feed into the chamber. It annoying but its a target gun so it's not that big of a deal.
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

I've had the same issue, some bullets would feed, some would hang up on the chamber due to the angle they were coming out of the magazine. Two ways to fix it, first is to buy a single shot follower and install it. I did and love it, thing will feed anything anytime, but that means you have nothing in the magazine.

The other way to fix it is pull out the feed ramp and take your dremel tool and start taking material off of the front edge, go slow, and retry, but you'll get the angle of feed that will not hang up. The only problem with this idea is when you change bullets or COAL, you may need to replace the ramp or dremel again or you may not.
shocker
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by shocker »

Ok! I'm glad to hear that others are having the same issue. I think i'm going to file a little bit off of the front ramp. I'm afraid to remove the stock since it's a new rifle and it shoots amazing.. lol

Thanks for the help!
My new rifle: Savage 12FLV .204!