replacement trigger advice

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

replacement trigger advice

Post by TrapperDan »

I have a rem. 700 in 204 with the adjustable trigger.Adjusted as light as it will go still seems to heavy.Need recommendations for replacement.I use it only for shooting squirrels off a bench.Thanks in advance.Dan
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: replacement trigger advice

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dan: Fellow squirrel shooter: For your M700, the absolute best bet is the Jewell HVR w/safety. Got it in all my M700's, and for rats off the bench, nothing even comes close. Choice of pull weight, fully adjustable, breaks like the proverbial glass rod. Mine are all set up at 10 ozs.

I've got Jard 10 oz triggers in all my Coopers, and they're a very close second to the Jewells. These rifles all took on a much more attractive personality once the new triggers were installed. They are some of my favorite rat rifles for 'varmint BR shooting'. ;)

Some years ago, I would have suggested Canjar. Their single set triggers are top shelf, have three of their single set triggers in my Sako's and a Ruger No.1, but now sadly out of business. But if you can find one, jump on it!

If you're working with limited funds, then look at Rifle Basix or Timney, both very good also, but nothing on the planet compares to a Jewell. "Yes", they ARE worth the money IMHO.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

The old Remington 40x triggers are pretty good too. In fact, most of the old Remington triggers are good but they can't be adjusted down to under a pound. Don't know how low the 40x go but they are pretty darn light...ay least mine is.

Jim
tbates
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Sporter

Post by tbates »

I have a Timney in my Remington 700 VSF .223. It is a very crisp trigger set at my desired weight of 2 lbs. I shoot p-dogs from a rest and it sure makes shooting a treat. Wish they made one for Ruger #1, which is my .204.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

tbates wrote:I have a Timney in my Remington 700 VSF .223. It is a very crisp trigger set at my desired weight of 2 lbs. I shoot p-dogs from a rest and it sure makes shooting a treat. Wish they made one for Ruger #1, which is my .204.
Well, they did indeed make them for some time....the most excellent Canjar single set trigger. In my No.1V, the unset trigger releases at 2 lbs, and releases when set at 6 ozs. Fully adjustable, all steel and very well made. Unfortunately old Mr. Canjar retired, and they're no longer produced, but if you can find one, it's one of the absolute best. Moyers in ID makes a unit for the No.1, have one of his in one of my 77/22's, and it works well.

The Canjar single set trigger in my No.1V:

Kipplenger may be considered the very best right now for the No.1; expensive, fully adjustable, very well made and available. Figure about three bills for your rifle. HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Post by TrapperDan »

I could not find a jewell trigger in stock at any of the places I shop on the net.Could back order at midway, but won't be in stock till end of july,so I ordered a "Jard "directly .WOW !! Ordered it last friday ( 22nd) and got it in the mail today.Great service along with great advice.Don't see that that much now days.It took about 20 min. to install.Didn't lose any springs or other parts.Came with 9 0Z spring.Wish I would have done this long ago.Stepped out back to my 100 yrd range.Most of my previous groups were around .400 to .560.With the new trigger shot a .422 .203 .214 and a .241 using 32 G z max over 8208 xbr.Unbelievable.Thank Rick ,I owe you one.
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TrapperDan wrote:Wish I would have done this long ago.Stepped out back to my 100 yrd range.Most of my previous groups were around .400 to .560.With the new trigger shot a .422 .203 .214 and a .241 using 32 G z max over 8208 xbr.Unbelievable.Thanks Rick ,I owe you one.
No worries there, Dan.....just glad she's shootin' like she should! There's nothing like a nice new trigger to give a rifle an entirely new personality. Be ready for 'enhanced fun' in the rat patch this season. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA