Question re: stocks

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Johnnu
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE PREDATOR

Question re: stocks

Post by Johnnu »

I've got a Savage (.204) 10/110 Predator Hunter Max1 with the fancy 'block bedding'; but it only shoots one load into +/- 3/4". Am thinking about getting another standard-bedding stock and then glass bedding it myself (I've done several glass bedding jobs on my 'wood' guns) just to see if I can get more accuracy out of it. What are your thoughts? Also, any recommendations? I assume that this is probably a standard Savage 10/110 action so I assume I have lots of options for stocks (?). Thanks, John N.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Question re: stocks

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Save yourself some money and bed the stock you have now with the alloy bedding block.

This was taught to me by Darrell Holland (Master Riflesmith, Holland's Shooting Supplies/School) when H-S Precision first brought out their innovative kevlar/fiberglass/graphite stocks in the early 90's that led the way for all the others to follow. I've bedded every one of my H-S stocks that have the alloy chasis/bedding block, and virtually every single rifle done so, has shot demonstrably better......every time.

When you see how much bedding material is taking up voids in the bedding block assumed to be supporting the action evenly, you'll see what I refer to. These blocks do give structural support, but are not a panacea to replace proper contact bedding. I now consider them to be just the foundation for the "real" bedding.

Not sure what you've used in the past, but my personal preference is Brownells Accraglass Gel, but Marine-Tex also works very well. JME
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Johnnu

Post by Johnnu »

Many THANKS RIO........ I had given that idea passing thought but had no idea if it was feasible.......I'm gonna do it !!! p.s. I use the same Brownels Acra Glas and the gel specifically when that arrived on the market....it's great and easy to use. THANKS AGAIN, John N.
Johnnu

Post by Johnnu »

Well, I did it..........Seems to have worked out quite well despite my first attempt with a rifle with an aluminum bedding block and side-rails (where the receiver lays). I guessed that it would take almost all of the Brownell's resin and hardener in their 2 oz (?) jars; I was right; I used about 80%. I drilled holes in the aluminum block to mechanically lock-in the acraglass; then I used my Dremel to cut channels in the left and right sides where the reveiver lays; I cut channels just above the aluminum "rails" in the 'plastic' and also a less deep cut in the aluminum rails too. I took out the accu-trigger group entirely and later 'relieved' that space where some of the bedding compound overflowed. I also bedded about three inches of the barrel in front of the recoil lug using cut channels there too. All in all it was more difficult than other guns I've done, but after cleaning it up, I think it turned out pretty well. I've taken it to the range about 4 times and am inclined to believe that it has increased accuracy altho, I'm not positive. I shoot with a torn retina that sometimes makes things blurry and sometimes not; I shoot from old fashioned sand bags too so I'm sure that isn't helping my consistency either, and oftentimes I get caught in some wind. But overall, I'm seeing some 1/2" and less groups that open-up because of a flyer or TWO. I am seeing some better accuracy with a wider range of bullets whereas before it would only shoot Bergers. So, a few more range trips before winter sets in (and I do too), a little more concentration and I hope to see 1/2" groups on a regular basis. NET: thanks for the advice RIO.....i think it worked-out for me. p.s. I'm not terribly anal about my reloading either....just "half-anal". John N.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Excellent Jonnu! I'm betting once she's settled down, you'll start to see nice round groups now with different bullets. Keep us up to speed as to the progress. Another success story.....I love it! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Johnnu

Post by Johnnu »

I haven't yet gotten absolutely consistent 1/2" groups but I think I'm getting there. She seems to be settling into the new bedding and, this past week I shot two groups and stayed at 1/2". I also noticed that my 'sand-bag' technique is not helping; I should invest in an expensive rest. I 'fell off' the rear bag once and have just started to focus on keeping the forend in the same spot on the bags (seems to make a big difference). That being said, I changed the accutrigger spring to the one offerred by SSS and that has helped to some degree as did my awareness to focus on the front sand-bag technique. These last two 1/2" goups were in virtually wind-free conditions too. I cheated on the second grouping because it was really a ten shot group where the first three shots were a mess but the 4th and 5th shot were almost in the same hole. So I fired 5 more at the same target and stayed within my 1/2" goal....So actually, I got that last 7 shots into that elusive 1/2".
May not get much shooting in over the cold winter; overall, I am at the point where I feel that my glass-bedding of the Accustock did indeed make a difference as RIO suggested. MANY THANKS, John N.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Johnnu...wish I would have seen this post earlier but yes, bedding the aluminum block stocks makes a heck of a difference. IMC, Russ haydon taught me this.

WRT bench shooting, to get the best groups make sure you're all set up correctly (NPA, position, stock/cheek weld, grip/trigger manipulation, consistent eye relief and all of that) before you start shooting. When I've laid off of the shooting for a while, like I have now, I have to focus to make sure my set-up is correct. It sure keeps me from asking myself a lot of questions, the first usually being not worth repeating here.

HTH and Happy Holidays,